Gul Taw drysuit (ladies)

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
PeterG

Gul Taw drysuit (ladies)

Post by PeterG » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Has anyone tried this drysuit? The spec and zips look convenient, but gul kit in general has a poor reputation for quality.....

PeterG

Re: Gul Taw drysuit (ladies)

Post by PeterG » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:27 pm

No one out there?

leintwardine

Post by leintwardine » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:54 am

Good Morning

I've just been sent the male version as a repacement for the Scapa dryish suit. They seem to have changed the name because all the scapas leaked. The Taw seems to be of a much tougher construction, but I've only worn it a few times so will wait and see...

I'll be wearing it a fair bit over the next few weeks, if I have leaky problems I'll let you know.

Design wise, I like it, horseshoe zip is easy to use. I prefare not to have latex cuffs so it works for me, however I can see that if I'm rolling and tilt my head too far forewards water will trickle down my neck. I'd like them to do a slimmer fit, but I guess they can't offer every size.

Conor

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:20 am

thanks for that and I look forward to a further review. I too had problems with a Gul 'dry' cag that was anything but after the second trip, hence my call for information on what otherwise looks like a well designed product.

nicholas

Post by nicholas » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:04 pm

I have the gul it is a replacement
For the code zero which had
Major problems. I also think the
Neoprene neck seal could be
Tighter as it has seeped when rolling
But I solved it by making an elastic
Necklace which I wear when things
Get interesting.

cburt

Post by cburt » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm a slim, reasonably tall man and have just sent back the Gul Taw. I am 5'10 tall, 38 inch chest and 31inch inside leg. I had bought a medium size and found the height to be ideal but found the body far too large and baggy.

My impressions (having only tried it on and not paddled in it) were that it was well constructed and good value.

I replaced it with the Peak UK Explorer One Piece suit, again in a medium size. It is extremely well made and a much better cut for someone of my build. The height is perfect and the cut is much more slim than the Gul, but still generous enough to get plenty of warm layers under. Although more expensive it is worth it to get something that fits well and is comfortable.

sloegin

Post by sloegin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:27 pm

I too would be interested in hearing if anyone has a review of the male version (or female) of this suit. I have a friend who has one brand new but would be interested to hear from anyone on the longer term quality and dryness.

thanks
North shore Ocean 17.6

Sailorgirl

Post by Sailorgirl » Tue May 02, 2017 11:27 am

Hi! Looking at the Gul Taw drysuit (ladies) and found this thread. Hows the suit holding up after a few years of use? Any leaks? Hoping for reply even though this thread is a few years old..

Mark Graham

Post by Mark Graham » Tue May 16, 2017 3:04 pm

I've got the male version, its a couple of years old now and holding up well although I only paddle with it in poor/cold conditions or if I expect to be swimming. I decided to try it after I spoke to someone who had worn one extensively and found it hard wearing. It seems to be well designed and robust but I can only compare it to neoprene diving drysuits - this is my first paddle dry suit. I like it a lot but having since acquired a Reed top I suspect that when the gul does need replacement I'll go for a full Reed suit as its lighter and less restrictive.
On a related note does anyone know why the neoprene neck seals on paddle dry suits are the opposite way round to diving neck seals? On diving dry suits the smooth surface is on the outside and the neck is worn turned over inside itself, my gul suit just has a smooth neoprene skin on the inside and is worn 'straight'.