Footwear for drysuits?^

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Nick P

Footwear for drysuits?^

Post by Nick P » Mon May 05, 2014 6:31 pm

I purchased a Reed paddlesuit at the tail end of last year and to date I have been wearing it with a rather fetching pair of 'sawn off' old green Dunlop wellies (they had split, hence I cut them down a bit). The latter have now decomposed further :-(

What do the rest of you wear over the feet of your drysuits? Just to be clear, I'm talking about suits with attached dry socks rather than ankle seals.

N

MikeB

Re: Footwear for drysuits?

Post by MikeB » Mon May 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Lomo boots - - - doesn't everyone?

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Mon May 05, 2014 6:37 pm

I use Crewsaver water shoes, like these:
http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/produc ... 2fLpKROWpo
Bought in a bigger size than I normally wear, because I wear fabric socks inside and outside the drysuit feet, to protect them.

They're comfortable, but they don't have a super grip on slippery surfaces.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

icklepaddler

Post by icklepaddler » Mon May 05, 2014 7:07 pm

Karimor sandals from sports direct. Normally about £10

nicholas

Post by nicholas » Mon May 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Lomo boots and short sailing wellies in the sinter

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Mon May 05, 2014 10:22 pm

In sea boat, basic gull zip-side boots; in tight GP boat with my big feet, Kokatat lightweight portaging slippers (Seekers). Mary not in Oxford, socks both sides -- that's smart thinking!!

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Mon May 05, 2014 10:25 pm

NRS neoprene wellies in winter and Typoon short boots in summer
Mal

Yakdiver

Post by Yakdiver » Tue May 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Name Richard
Point 65n Sea Cruiser
Ocean Prowler

Mark Steel

Post by Mark Steel » Tue May 06, 2014 6:49 pm

Various Teva trainer style shoes in the summer, Whilst in the winter Lomo boots, unless in my A Acuta then slip-on neoprene socks with a thin reinforced sole,its all that will fit, they go over the booties a lot easier than I thought they would.

Nick P

Post by Nick P » Tue May 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the replies so far. I do also have some neoprene wetsuit boots, but TBH they're a bit too small if I'm wearing socks and drysuit socks and the soles are not particularly robust nor grippy for clambering over uneven ground. Looks like I could be investing in a suitably sized pair of Lomo boots soon.

N

Ligan

Post by Ligan » Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 pm

I have used these for the last couple of years, excellent grip on wet rocks and a bit more walking friendly than my previous pair of Kokatat seeker's. but a bit more pricey.
http://www.upandunder.co.uk/Watersports ... e---19042/

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Wed May 07, 2014 11:57 am

MikeB wrote:Lomo boots - - - doesn't everyone?
What Mike said! :-)

Ian

e-wan

Post by e-wan » Wed May 07, 2014 10:24 pm

I have recently started using lomo boots which only just fit in the boat given my big feet but got 2 sizes. 1 to ware with thick socks and drysuit and 1 to ware with bare feet or thin socks.

would be interested to hear if some of the smaller boots have thick soles?
my previous pair or neoprene boots have soles that let me feel every pebble, which gets a bit painful if trying to carry a boat at the same time.

Ewan

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu May 08, 2014 1:06 pm

e-wan wrote:I have recently started using lomo boots which only just fit in the boat given my big feet but got 2 sizes. 1 to ware with thick socks and drysuit and 1 to ware with bare feet or thin socks.

would be interested to hear if some of the smaller boots have thick soles?
my previous pair or neoprene boots have soles that let me feel every pebble, which gets a bit painful if trying to carry a boat at the same time.

Ewan
The comment re the relative size of Lomo boots is very valid - it's a result of them having a reasonably thick sole, and a chunky heel. They were originally intended to be diving boots. In terms of sizing, I went one size up from my shoe size and that accommodates thick warm socks and the fabric socks of my drysuit.

I've got a pair of Palm neoprene booties which are much lower profile, but very uncomfortable for our sort of use. From an earlier discussion though, from "Swagstaff", this comment - "The Typhoon boots I use are the surfmaster but I'm sure there are others that would work as well. These also have a hard sheet inside the sole so you dont feel sharp rocks etc."

So that might be another solution?

I would comment that in days past I used to paddle in Teva sandals. The first time I wore them with a pair of sallys with latex socks, I got some small stones under the sole of my foot. Bye bye latex. Which was a pain right at the start of a week long trip. Lesson learned and that's when I discovered boots!

Jim

Re: Footwear for drysuits?^

Post by Jim » Thu May 08, 2014 5:01 pm

Re: the now de-facto standard Lomo neoprene boots - they have rubbish grip on wet rocks!.

Never noticed it sea paddling, rocks often have a high traction surface, sometimes it's barnacles, but after getting involved in AWWSR the other day I soon noticed that after a rain shower I was unable to get much purchase on riverside rocks, which was a problem because we were running up and down them setting up lines and stuff all day.... In fact I still have a bruise on one wrist and a sore elbow (glad I was wearing elbow pads) from some of my slips!

I wonder if cutting some sipes with a razor would help?

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Jim wrote:Re: the now de-facto standard Lomo neoprene boots - they have rubbish grip on wet rocks!.

Their as good as anything I've come across so far. I used to use teva gamma's (like a training shoe for use in a wet environment) but their no longer made.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu May 08, 2014 10:15 pm

Owen wrote:
Jim wrote:Re: the now de-facto standard Lomo neoprene boots - they have rubbish grip on wet rocks!.

Their as good as anything I've come across so far. I used to use teva gamma's (like a training shoe for use in a wet environment) but their no longer made.
Of the 8 of us clambering around on the same rocks wearing different shoes I was having by far the most trouble with grip.

dpround

Post by dpround » Wed May 14, 2014 1:32 pm

I have just started using a very cheap pair of walking boots made of synthetic materials - mainly as they were far cheaper than any of the proper boots. So far, so good!

All the best

David

allan09

Post by allan09 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:01 pm

I use Lomo boots too. I found them to be a tight fit in my RM Atlantic (size 10) but a few minutes on the grinding wheel especially at the heel area and they were so much better in the boat. No longer have that locked in feeling. You can grind a surprising amount of material off, especially the heel, without impairing the boot.

Hix

Post by Hix » Mon May 19, 2014 10:52 am

I've got a pair of Merrell watersports trainers. They are basically trainers with a very open mesh on the top and sides. They drain pretty much instantly and have vibram soles which are designed for use on wet slippery rocks. They perform excellently. The ones I have seem to have been phased out, but these seem pretty much the same http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product ... mensions=0

Nick P

Post by Nick P » Mon May 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Consensus seemed to be Lomo boots, so I'm now the owner of a pair of size 11s which comfortably accommodate my feet, socks and drysuit socks.
I couldn't find a local supplier, so ended up online at http://www.ewetsuits.com
First time I've used this supplier, but good price and excellent delivery service.

N

Paul Edmondson

Post by Paul Edmondson » Fri May 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Chota boots. Warm, hard wearing and waterproof.

scameron

Post by scameron » Sat May 31, 2014 6:58 am

the hitek para boot

r.t.swing

Post by r.t.swing » Sat May 31, 2014 8:50 pm

Am I the only one who uses the Canyoneer 5.10? I find them great, I use a size 9 even though I am a size 8 - to accommodate nice thick socks, (I hate cold feet in winter). I would however add that for my hight if I needed a size 10, they would be a struggle to get in my boat.

paddletastic2

Post by paddletastic2 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:29 pm

I wear something like this:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-k2 ... e=18407790

Karrimour sandals that give good grip and support yet drain well.