Space for 2 man tent in lv boat

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Graham T

Re: Space for 2 man tent in lv boat

Post by Graham T » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:48 pm

I have a Hilleberg Atko one man tent and love how easy it is to use but as others have said it is good to have more room. I also have a Mountain Hardwear Trango two another very good tent but the five poles is a phaff to use especially in windy weather so I have been seriously close to pulling the trigger on a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT tent. I am so glad to have found this thread before spending so much money, and more than the fact it leaked which would not be okay with me, I think for any manufacturer of a "high end " product that has such poor service / public relations is the absolute pits, and likely I will either make do with what I have or buy cheaper and go for a dry tent instead.
I have researched and understand why they do not tape the floor but if seam sealer is required and works frankly they can do that for me at point of manufacture

wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:49 pm

I use a Vango 2 man tunnel tent, it packs nice and small and once up they have a good sized porch for the wet stuff and give descent head room for the length of the tent

Like this one
http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product ... wwod-lMAtA

Grian

Post by Grian » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:18 pm

That looks like an enormous tent! I think it may be 'the one'. Though less expensive everyone seems to have good experiences of Vango.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:43 pm

Have a look at F10 tents which are the high performance Vango tents and Exped tents which I've not seen in uk but look very interesting.
Mal

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:24 pm

I've always subtracted 1 from the "X man tent" anyway.
Yes, two people can physically fit into a 2 man tent - but unless there is some sort of somnabulistic telepathy going on about breathing, rolling over etc. there's not a chance of getting a good nights sleep. :-)

(I'm spoiled by my off-set skeg - my two-man tent, poles, pegs and all, fits in in a dry-bag without any bother)
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:50 am

That omega looks like an updated version of the Spirit 200+ I use - the large porch is excellent for chilling out on weatherbound days and suitable for cooking in (with all the usual care used when cooking in the tent). Importantly the hoops don't have the silly peaks on like the Spirit did - mine doesn't any more, I kept breaking poles at the peaks so changed them to basically the same as the Omega poles.

immunogirl

Post by immunogirl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:47 pm

I pack the poles in the very front of my kayak - tie some string onto the bundle, and throw it up there... My sleeping pad gets shoved up in the front with it.

Rest of the tent gets put in a compressible drybag.

If I'm sleeping by myself, I carry a MSR Carbon Reflex 2 to save on weight/space... Very roomy for one person, tight for 2 people.

If someone else is with, a bigger 2 person or a 3 person tent is brought.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:28 pm

A very interesting thread! I have a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT, which I have used - albeit not frequently - in some pretty wet weather over the past couple of years. No problems with groundsheet leaks. I have just looked at it, and no the corner seams of the 'bathtub' groundsheet are indeed not sealed. I guess there would be some seepage if it was pitched in a puddle, but I generally try and avoid that. I regard a bathtub groundsheet as providing protection against rain blowing in under the eaves, not as acting as a second boat. It does that just fine.

I previously used a Quasar Ultra. I had endless trouble with pole breaks (mostly - but not all - replaced under warranty), and in 11 years or so I got through 2 flysheets - the first was replaced under warranty before Terra Nova tightened up their warranty terms (!), and the second lost most of its seam sealing tapes after about 5 years . The final straw was when the inner frayed irreparably around one door. Over the time I used that tent, internet forum views largely polarised into 'Quasars are absolutely bombproof' and 'Quasars are absolute rubbish - particularly for pole breakages' camps.

When I bought the Hilleberg, much of the web forum opinion was that they are very good tents. This thread seems to have spawned a plethora of contrasting 'Hilleberg tents are rubbish' opinions. it all just goes to show that internet forum vierws need to be treated with a pinch of salt!! I see no personal reason not to stand by my view that they are well-designed, well-built, and (so far) seem pretty strong considering their small packed size and weight - tent and footrprint are lighter and less bulky when packed than the far less spacious Quasar without footprint.

I hope I don't have reason to change my views!
Dave Thomas

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:02 pm

I guess there would be some seepage if it was pitched in a puddle
Which is the situation Ive found myself in a few times recently with all the heavy rain we have had.

Hilleberg say in their advertising "High bathtub floor keeps out ground water" so to me that means it can sit in water up to the hight of the bathtub, which my Big Fat Frog can certainly do, so I would expect a tent costing 8 times the price to do the same.
Mal

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Why can't Hilleberg seal the seams on the groundsheet? They make a biog thing of the fact that their tents don't need to be sealed / taped.

Given the price and their top-end of market positioning, I'd certainly expect the g/sheet to keep water out, even if pitched on ground liable to flood to some extent. Two of my paddling pals have them, and I don't recall any comments about leaking g/sheets.

My Vaude's groundsheet certainly doesn't leak, even when pitched in a hollow which subsequently flooded when the snow melted.

Although I was less than amused to have to apply three tubes of sealant to the fly of a Power Atreus to stop it leaking like a sieve. In fairness, they do point out that these seams will need to be sealed as the f/sheet in made of siliconised nylon. They say - "In tents made from siliconised material without Seam Seal, seams can soak up water, which can then enter the tent in the form of drops. Therefore tents without Seam Seal should be hand seam sealed with silicone seam sealer before a trip in rainy weather (for example in Great Britain)."

(Quite why GB is singled out is beyond me - clearly it never rains elsewhere).

I note they now claim to "be the only manufacturer to successfully factory seam seal siliconised nylon" but this appears only to be used on the Hogan Ultralight Argon and Odyssee tents.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Why can't Hilleberg seal the seams on the groundsheet? They make a biog thing of the fact that their tents don't need to be sealed / taped.
I dont know - other parts of the bathtub floor are seam sealed ie the big seam down the middle where they joined two pieces of material ( I would also expect a single piece of material for that price rather than off cuts).

Most mountain tents dont have sealed seams on the fly because it adds weight and you dont need it when its snowing and dry - they usually have a tube so you can seal the seams if your using the tent in wet climates eg UK.

Since taking my tent back Ive emailed the MD of Hilleberg about my concerns but had no reply.

Looks like its a problem others have had as well http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/c ... eaks-60429
Mal

StewartR

Post by StewartR » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:42 pm

ruralweb wrote:Most mountain tents dont have sealed seams on the fly because it adds weight and you dont need it when its snowing and dry - they usually have a tube so you can seal the seams if your using the tent in wet climates eg UK.
Our Terra Nova Quasar ETC has taped seams on the fly. It is the standard fly spec rather than their lightweight version (not available on ETC model). Personally, I considered that robustness and reliability was more important to my expedition needs than saving a few grams. I do however silicone coat it to help it dry quicker on expedition.

Regards

Stewart

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:35 pm

MikeB wrote:
(Quite why GB is singled out is beyond me - clearly it never rains elsewhere).
You could easily exchange GB with WA, but I don't think it has quite the same reputation around the globe.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:02 pm

Terra Nova Quasar ETC - nice looking tent I've not seen that one before. No rattle zip pullers a good feature IMO - the Hillebergs have metal zip pullers that certainly rattle - I counted 12 zip pullers just at the top of the tent I had and they are big, no wonder people chop them off and fit para cord.
Mal

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:03 pm

I remember waking up on a campsite in the dales, opening my door zip and wondering why there was a Robin standing on a small island (tussock) in front of my tent. A few seconds later I realised that the river had overflowed and in fact I was now camped in a pond. As far as I can recall, the groundsheet on my cheap lichfield tent had not leaked even though the water was an inch or 2 deep. The seams weren't taped.

My modern tents with their nice flexible groundsheets rated to lots of mm of water head do seem to leak occasionally, but I don't think it's through the seams, I think laying on the groundsheet gradually damages their ability to withstand the pressure head!
But even then I could be mistaken and it might simply be condensation that has run down the sides and pooled under me - I seem to be able to make a hell of a lot of that in a night, it usually drips in my face when I try to get out of my sleeping bag! The tent I use most has 2 permanently open vents as well as a panel up front I can open.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 pm

I have a 2006 Hilleberg Nalo 3GT and a 2011 Akto. Both came with a tube of seam sealer which I have yet to use. I have used both 4 seasons and not had any leaks yet despite some horrendous soakings. Mind you I do use a foot print with both and am fairly fussy about choosing where I pitch if its raining or if rain is expected. My 1975 Vango Force 10 Mk4 CN has a plastic bathtub groundsheet with welded corners. It is still good if somewhat faded now but it is very heavy and bulky which is why I bought the Nalo 3 GT after 35 years. I think it (and the Vango) will see me out.

Douglas

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:26 pm

Douglas - it would be interesting to see if water came through your corners if you have time to pour water into them ?
Mal

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:16 am

Hi Mal I tried filling the 2006 Nallo 3 GT groundsheet with water when it was turned "outside in". One corner showed just a few microdroplets of water along the seam, the others were dry. Certainly not enough for me to get the seam sealer out just yet.

Douglas

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:12 am

That's good news Douglas - I'm wondering if production methods have changed as mine seams leaked badly and water wicked along the webbing tape that was sewn through to secure the floor to the fly.
Mal

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:09 am

Hello again Mal,

OK I have now tried the 2011 Akto. One corner of the groundsheet had just a glistening of micro droplets, the other leaked enough to produce two proper droplets of water. However, the 4th last night this tent was out, was in torrential rain with a fair bit of wind. I was bone dry inside so I am not sure I will bother to seam seal just yet as I now have two wet tents to dry and I have not even been camping!

Another friend also has an Akto and a Nallo 2 GT. He hasn't been bothered by leaks either. He got his after I got mine, to replace similar sized and recent Vango models.

One thing I do like about the Hillebergs is the flysheet material which seems to be long lasting. A friend's tent has turned to a brittle leaking crisp bag in the time I have had the 2006 Nallo 3 GT. The other thing I really like about the Hillebergs is how quick and easy they are to erect single handed, even at night and in a wind. In practice I have found that putting a tent up in rain is when you are most likely to get wet.

Douglas

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi Douglas thanks for getting your tents wet!! I agree that Helliberg are very easy to put up especially in the rain however for the price I paid I expect perfection. It's not just the seam problem but the very poor customer service I had from them when I emailed them - still no reply to my email to the MD so time to forget Hill erg and move on as there are others which look just as good.
Mal