Drysuit advice / recommendations

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
jeff_sco

Drysuit advice / recommendations

Post by jeff_sco » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:45 pm

I am considering purchasing a drysuit and my budget is at the mid/lower end. Unfortunately reading through previous threads and reviews I am now utterly confused and I thought why not continue down that road and see how I end up.

I am considering the following (not in any order of preference):
Lomo Renegade II - £299
Kokatat Tropos Supernova Paddlesuit - £299
Gul Scapa - £335
Reed Aquatherm Paddlesuit - £276
DamX - £366-£391 depending on options

The Gul seems to have some nice features but I'm unsure of quality. The Kokatat and Reed are both paddlesuits and I don't know just how watertight they are. The Lomo seems to get mixed reviews and everyone seems to love DamX but it's maybe just outside my price range.

I am pretty much a recreational kayaker (currently weekend trip max) and am unlikely to be heading out into any major seas but do roll and wet exit on occasion. I am leaning towards the Reed or Gul. Any advice / experiences would be welcome. Thanks!
A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist.

uxb

Re: Drysuit advice / recommendations

Post by uxb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Having owned a suit with latex seals I would avoid them as I found they are extremely uncomfortable.

I sold it after a few weeks and bought a Typhoon PS220 which was more expensive but far,far more comfortable. The 'glideskin' seals are totally waterproof, easy to get on and off and a lot stronger than the latex ones.

Talking of comfort- make sure you get a suit with a comfort zip!

jeff_sco

Post by jeff_sco » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:25 pm

That seemed to be the opinion in most things I read. I think most if not all of the ones listed have a comfort zip or it's an option.

Mattyp

Post by Mattyp » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:31 pm

I also have the Typhoon PS220 Xtreme and it's great, but a little heavy and out of your budget range.

Two guys I paddle with both have the new Gul Scapa and like it a lot. It's early days, but the Gul suit looks very well made and is a good fitted shape with lots of features for your money! If I was buying now and having seen their Scapa suits close up and in action, I would get the new Gul drysuit if it fitted me (to me fit is important, so see if you can try one on first). Also it's cheaper than my Typhoon and is made of a much lighter fabric!

The Gul Scapa has a Pee Zip, Hood and Glideskin seals. It looks a good suit for not that much over £300!

However, only time will tell if the Gul suit is as bombproof as my current PS220!

Howlin Gael

Post by Howlin Gael » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:54 pm

I was in a similar situation to you but my choice was complicated by being about 6'7" tall! I plumped for the Lomo and feel I have done well. The suits fits as good as can be expected and has performed well. The seals are no problem but they do need looking after, I always use talc when putting the suit on. I also take good care of the suit overall, rinsing it, drying and airing it and store it out of direct light, hanging in a cupboard and lubricating the zips. My girlfriend has a 2nd hand Lomo drysuit and that also is serving her well. All in all for the price they aren't bad although I have read many reports from people who don't get on with them.

tpage

Post by tpage » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Take a look at Peak explorer drysuits, many retailers are selling 2013 models 30% off for £385 at the moment. I just picked one up this week and its a really nice suit.
Tony

Ian_Montrose

Post by Ian_Montrose » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:49 am

What size are you Jeff? I have an XL Lomo suit surplus to requirements after upgrading to a Typhoon PS220. The seals and zips are good but it was starting to let in water either through the seams or perhaps the fabric. If it fits you and you're happy to put in some effort reproofing it, and fixing any seams that need attention, it's yours for free.

jeff_sco

Post by jeff_sco » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm a bit further forward although I'm still interested in hearing about how the Reed performs.

@Iain - I'm probably a Medium Wide/Large but I'd be silly not to see how an XL fits me given your kind offer. I'll PM you.

uxb

Post by uxb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:22 am

Ian_Montrose wrote:it's yours for free.
Music to the ears of an Aberdonian..... :-)

jeff_sco

Post by jeff_sco » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm from Glasgow originally. Don't know if that makes me better or worse!

uxb

Post by uxb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:06 pm

jeff_sco wrote:I'm from Glasgow originally. Don't know if that makes me better or worse!
Better!

I lived in Aberdeen for 14 years but I'm all better now...

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:16 pm

I have a Reed paddle suit - note they call it a paddle suit and not a dry suit. IMO its perfect for sea kayaking, very lightweight unlike some others so it is like wearing a tee-shirt. I hate latex seals and the reed has an adjustable neck seal so you can loosen it off for normal paddling or tighten it if you think your going to get wet. Its not the most robust suit out there but Ive had mine a couple of years now and had no problems - I have a Typhoon Multisport 3 for WW. Its so impressed the guys I kayak with that they have them as well now - previously one had a LOMO which leaked and the other a GUL which was ok but bulky.
Mal

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:43 pm

The latex neck seal seems restricting at first but it soon gets comfy and is definitely drier. I have a smooth skin seal on my dry cag because if you swim you will be damp anyway. But a dry suit should be dry especially if you will be using it for multi-day trips. I have a Typhoon multisport and this, coupled with Paramo waterproofs for the land, meant that after 3 weeks wild camping in Scotland last April in often terrible weather and some choppy seas I realised I was still wearing the same thermal vest which had never left my back. My spare set of clothes were ready to change into once I returned to civilisation -thought I'd spare the general public my 3-week-worn vest, and my emergency third set of thermals was still sealed in the dry bag.

If only used on day trips with a chance to get things dry I suppose the smooth skin or a 'touring neck' would be OK.

Dave28

Post by Dave28 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:28 pm

I have to say that the latex seals on my Peak drysuit don't seem at all restricting, even the moment I put the suit on, but are completely dry. I'm beginning to think that there must be cheapo latex seals and proper latex seals