VHF icom M 35 vs standard horizon 300E

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
e-wan

VHF icom M 35 vs standard horizon 300E

Post by e-wan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi

Decided to look for a waterproof VHF without DSC

Has anyone used / compared the icom M 35 vs standard horizon 300E?

Thanks

Ewan

PlymouthDamo

Re: VHF icom M 35 vs standard horizon 300E

Post by PlymouthDamo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:20 pm

I've got the older versions of the models you're looking at: A Standard Horizon HX280E and an Icom M23. As far as I can tell, they're pretty much the same - battery life is excellent, never had problems with radio-checks being heard by the coastguard and both companies have very good customer service (although Standard Horizon are legendary in that department.)

A couple of pros and cons I've noticed:

- When you switch the Standard Horizon off and on, you lose some of your settings. E.g. if you had it set to scan channels, the scan will be switched off. This doesn't happen with the Icom.

- The Icom has a function whereby it sends a deep tone through the speaker to blast any water out. I've not tested this to see if it works. Both radios become ridiculously quiet after they've been flooded.

- The Icom floats and flashes a red light when in the water - handy for finding if you drop it overboard. As a yakker, you ought to have your VHF tied to your BA, so this shouldn't be needed.

Hopefully, you'll get some better advice from someone who's got the specific models you're after, but based on my experience I'd guess there won't be much between them so I'd go for whichever one I could get the best deal on. (I'd lean slightly towards the Icom because of my first point above about the settings not changing.)

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:24 am

There's a known problem with that specific Icom - it has three charge terminals, the middle one of which is notorious for corroding away. See http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =4&t=65737

There are quite a few threads on VHF "what set" advice - either check the Almanac at http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/almanac.htm or search the forum and you'll find them. I'm a fan of the Icom M71 - others speak highly of some of the SH range.

IMHO, whether the set floats or not is unimportant. It should be leashed to you anyway, and a friend lost a floating Icom some years ago. It floated, when it washed off his deck, but he couldn't see it in the confused water we were in at the time.

The water clearing feature on the Icom works very well.

Mike

StarSailor79

Post by StarSailor79 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:50 pm

PlymouthDamo wrote:I've got the older versions of the models you're looking at: A Standard Horizon HX280E and an Icom M23. As far as I can tell, they're pretty much the same - battery life is excellent, never had problems with radio-checks being heard by the coastguard and both companies have very good customer service (although Standard Horizon are legendary in that department.)

A couple of pros and cons I've noticed:

- When you switch the Standard Horizon off and on, you lose some of your settings. E.g. if you had it set to scan channels, the scan will be switched off. This doesn't happen with the Icom.

- The Icom has a function whereby it sends a deep tone through the speaker to blast any water out. I've not tested this to see if it works. Both radios become ridiculously quiet after they've been flooded.

- The Icom floats and flashes a red light when in the water - handy for finding if you drop it overboard. As a yakker, you ought to have your VHF tied to your BA, so this shouldn't be needed.
I have a Standard Horizon 300E and it seems they have improved on some features compared to the 280. It does float and flashes a red light when it comes in contact with the water. I am not sure if the light is intense enough to see though. When you switch it on you can start scanning the channels you have set to be scanned, this preset channels to scan are not lost after shut down. You just press scan and the device starts scanning. One feature I always forget is that when you switch it on, it works in the high power setting while listening on ch16. I guess this is for safety reasons (?), but it consumes more energy if you forget to switch it to low (I believe you only need high power to transmit, you can receive the same on high and low power). Battery life is very decent and of course the big advantage is that you can charge it with any usb charger. So, while away, you only need the same solar power charger or large battery and you can charge both phone and VHF without anything extra to carry