Spraydeck for a Romany Classic Sea Kayak

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
gonepaddling

Spraydeck for a Romany Classic Sea Kayak

Post by gonepaddling » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi

I have a Romany Classic Sea Kayak, and need to find the best well-fitting spraydeck

I often go out in rough seas, and am probably going to train for my 5-Star award soon so having a deck that fits well is an imperative. Having said that I might not go out this weekend!

I know the Romany itself does not leak. I also know that the deck that i currently use does not leak as I also use it on my WW kayak. So, after much investigation I have concluded that my spray deck simply doesn't fit the Romany well. Water comes in under the deck on both sides (above my thighs).

So, if you own a new Romany Classic (with Keyhole Cockpit), you use it in rough water and you are very satisfied with your Spray Deck choice, please could you let me know what spray deck you use.

Oh, and please don't try to diagnose the problem with my current set up... all I'm looking for are suggestions for the best spray deck for the job. And I'll keep my current spraydeck for use on the river only!

Thanks everyone
Steve
Go visit NZ - I lived there for three years and had the time of my life on some of the most spectacular and beautiful exciting rivers you can imagine!

michelin

Re: Spraydeck for a Romany Classic Sea Kayak

Post by michelin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:33 pm

I have a Romany Surf and have tried loads of different decks and the best one I have used by far is the Snapdragon EXP. You can get them from Rapid Kayaks in the UK. They are expensive but you won't be disappointed

RickC

Post by RickC » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 am

I use a Lomo NeoDeck http://ewetsuits.com/acatalog/neoprene- ... evlar.html on an NDK Romany Surf. The cockpit is very slightly larger than the Romany Classic but the shape is similar. I've used it on an Explorer and a Romany too. It's starting it's third year and although I get a little seepage through the neoprene after several hours of rough water paddling (when the deck is underwater for much of the time) I never get water slooshing in. It fits really well, I've never have it implode and I've used it extensively for rescue drills/incident management stuff and so far it is undamaged. In fairness, the first one I bought had a few untidy threads on the seam but a couple of blobs of Black Witch sorted that out. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one and it's my "work" deck of choice.

If I want to be totally dry it's a Reed deck every time but I'm aware that it's vulnerable to tearing during rescues so it tends to get used much less and mainly for solo paddles.

If you wanted to try before you buy I'm in East Cornwall - PM me and we can hook up for a paddle.

uxb

Post by uxb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:58 am

A Peak 'Big' Deck, style 'STD' will fit.

gonepaddling

Post by gonepaddling » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks everyone. Some good options to consider. I'm sure I'll find a good option now.
Go visit NZ - I lived there for three years and had the time of my life on some of the most spectacular and beautiful exciting rivers you can imagine!