Anyone used a Vertical Element touring paddle?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Wheely

Anyone used a Vertical Element touring paddle?

Post by Wheely » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 pm

The time has now come to buy a new paddle (straight shaft 220cm, 1-PC).

I'm not going to get a chance to try before I buy, so right now am torn between Lendal Kinetic Touring (with N12 blades) and the Vertical Element Explorer (carbon shaft and glass blade).

I have used a 215 Lendal and suitably impressed, but wanted some real world feedback on the VE.

I imagine I'll be satisfied with either, but any feedback most welcomed.

flat earth sails

Re: Anyone used a Vertical Element touring paddle?

Post by flat earth sails » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 pm

220 is a mighty long paddle, I'm 6'2" and youse a 210 or a 207 wing

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm 6'2" and use a 220 Lendal - works for me, but I have a long back. I really would urge you to try the Lendal in that spec before you buy. And if at all possible, also try one with a crank and either glass or carbon blades. Trust me on this ! Yes, there's a cost factor, but ---

Fluidskills.com

Post by Fluidskills.com » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:38 pm

I have been testing and playing with the VE sea and touring blades, I love the adjustable shafts to change the stroke rate and feather, Blade wise I have the full carbons and the shape is the same on the glass blades. perfect power to pull ratio and no flutter that you find on some sea blades when you need the power.

Contact Stu at VE for some demo blades - I have 3 demo sets at the moment in the southwest if you are that direction to try

All the best
Darren

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 am

If you're choosing between a glass blade and an n12 you're comparing apples and oranges. The glass is stiff and direct where the n12's are soft and forgiving.

I tour with n12 kinetic touring, they're easy on the shoulders over distance but there's no power there so I use my Nordcapp "shovels" when I'm playing.

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 pm

I wold recomend , if you arnt already to have a look at the do I need wings thread , the last few posts on tecneak have explained beter than I cold the reasoning behind a shorter paddle length, forget that its about wings , all the principals are the same . Mark from EK and Geoff are two paddlers I wold plase in the top ranks of thinking paddlers wher tec knees is concerned .

simon64

Post by simon64 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:22 pm

It's worth asking Celtic about the CF blade option which isn't listed on the website, it's like a carbon plastic and seems a bit stiffer than N12.
Dagger Stratos

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:40 pm

simon64 wrote:It's worth asking Celtic about the CF blade option which isn't listed on the website, it's like a carbon plastic and seems a bit stiffer than N12.
It is / was a heavy brute of a thing - not to be confused with a proper carbon one.

simon64

Post by simon64 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:13 pm

My CF 700 doesn't seem heavy even compared to my proper carbon 650, I use it as a river touring/spare.
Dagger Stratos

highlandsprung

Post by highlandsprung » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:21 pm

To answer the original post question, I use a VE touring adjustable split 210 with carbon blades. I have Werners and Lendals that I enjoy, but my VE's are a class above. Beautifully silent strokes, but with immense power when required. For those that I have allowed to use these water controlling hand-crafted weapons, their feedback has mirrored my own. The additional benefit of slipping my 210's into 220's when required or even just adjusting the feather to catch less of the wind is fantastic.

Wheely

Post by Wheely » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:40 pm

Well after debating this for a while and getting some good positive emails from VE I have now ordered a 210 - 220cm split carbon shaft with fibreglass blades from VE. From the reports and feedback I don't think I'll be disappointed. And with the adjustable shaft they will suit me in my current SOT and for my future purchase of a sea kayak.

Thanks for all feedback. Glad I was able to make up my mind in the end.