Transporting sea Kayak

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Mike Summersong

Transporting sea Kayak

Post by Mike Summersong » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi
I'm from a canoeing and marathon kayaking background and I have been offered at a great price a sea kayak (Easky 15).

If I do buy it would the V bars we use for marathon kayaks be suitable for transporting it on the car roof ?

If not what is the preferred method of transporting sea kayaks around ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers Mike

Tempest170

Re: Transporting sea Kayak

Post by Tempest170 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Are you referring to this type of setup...Image
If so I have seen plenty of guys throw their kayaks in there. I would probably use a big heavier duty strap for the boat. Also some bow and stern tie downs for extra security. Otherwise I think it would be fine. As long as it's not some cheap aluminum....

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:11 pm

No the question asked, I know, but if you are from a K1/Marathon background I suspect you may quickly find an Easky15 a bit frustrating, slow hull and barge-like. Have you taken it out for a demo paddle yet? It is short (4.75m) and wide (61cm) and PE.

Compare that with a higher end composite (~5.20m and 52-55cm) and to what you are probably used to from racing.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Mike Summersong

Post by Mike Summersong » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi Guys - looks like my V bars should be ok

Steve - yeah it does look like a barge but it's really just for family fun as opposed to spirited paddling. I have been hankering after a performance sea kayak to train up in to attempt the Eddystone Challenge but I can't currently afford the right boat !

Mike

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:42 pm

The V bars in the picture look like they should be OK. My old set are on a much thinner bar and are fine with a K1 but just not up to the weight of a sea boat.
The other possible issue might be (especially for the shorter Easky) that the hull hits the bar before the boat settles properly into the V.

It's going to be a fairly high lift to get it into the bars though.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Carbonius

Post by Carbonius » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Whatever is on the picture from Tempest17 would not be perfect, I think, as the V is way too sharp.

Here my suggestion.

http://www.kajaksport.com/www/index.php ... 08&lang=en

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Carbonius wrote:Whatever is on the picture from Tempest17 would not be perfect, I think, as the V is way too sharp.
A friend of mine carries his sea boats on a similar set-up. That said, my preference would be either J cradles or V cradles mounted onto cross bars. Mike.

Incayak

Post by Incayak » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 pm

Standard roof bars, standard upright and standard pipe lagging gives a lower lift height with adequate support and protection. Stack the boat(s) on their sides and secure with standard straps.

Mark Steel

Post by Mark Steel » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:57 pm

its a plastic Easky, so you could carry it deck down onto the rack without the v bars if you wish, its composite boats you have to be more careful with.

Hengle

Post by Hengle » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi Mike
I have carried my composite sea boats (singles and double's) in my racing Vees for years. its fine if not better than bars or uprights as the fit is better. the boats are flatter so they sit higher in the V like a Laance or cirrus but due to the additional strength and stiffness (and weight) of a sea boat they dont mind.

Also the extended length of the Vee means your front and back ties are less important. However if you have roof bars that are close together the additional weight of the boat can cause more flexing (again there is a Roland solution)

If you really feel the need and have slot in ends for your Vee's Roland makes a touring Vee for the rocket K4s and sea boats so you would only have to purchase the ends.

Hengle

bearshead

Post by bearshead » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi Mike, I have J bars on my car to carry my 15 Easky and river boat, have also carried an 17' valley sea kayak on them no problem! probably easier then loading on v shaped bars

andyvw

Post by andyvw » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:24 pm

I carried my Easkie in V bars and found it distorted the bottom of the boat, it took quite a while to get the indentations out.
I later got a Kari=tek rack with Kari=tek j bars, this works a lot better as the weight is on the side of the kayak which doesn't deform. Hope this helps.