New boats worth it?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
seanr

New boats worth it?

Post by seanr » Wed May 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi

Just thought I'd garner some views on whether it's worth splashing out a small fortune on a new boat or try and get a good deal on a second hand one. I've only had one kayak and it's erased me well but now looking at getting another. All views welcome.

banzer

Re: New boats worth it?

Post by banzer » Wed May 23, 2018 4:34 pm

I would say there are loads of good quality 2nd hand boats out there, both sea and WW. Just have a look at the depth of any scratches and check that they fit the seller's story. Avoid ones with deep scratches.

I've got a decent P+H Sirius that doesn't get used any more, I paid £1500 for it and have used a small handful of times sadly, yours for £850 ;-)
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

seanr

Post by seanr » Wed May 23, 2018 5:13 pm

I'm after an Aries 155 - thanks for the offer, though.

Mini2

Post by Mini2 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Personally I don't think its worth buying a new one , unless you can't find the boat your looking for second hand,
I've paid the same money for a car as the price on some new kayaks, just like buying a used car give it a good looking over sit in it and don't part with your cash unless your happy .

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

pugwash

Post by pugwash » Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 am

A lot depends on how hung up you are on colours. I bought a second hand Aeries 155 and love it, but the colour combination of yellow and lime green is at best ‘memorable’, for a few hundred, actually quite a few hundred I could have had a more esthetically pleasing colour combination, so you pays your money and you takes your choice. Having a few scratches on a boat when you buy it can be a good thing as I think I might be worried about scratching up a pristine new one.

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Thu May 24, 2018 3:48 pm

seanr wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:06 pm
Hi

Just thought I'd garner some views on whether it's worth splashing out a small fortune on a new boat or try and get a good deal on a second hand one. I've only had one kayak and it's erased me well but now looking at getting another. All views welcome.
Somebody has to buy new boats .... otherwise the supply of second hand ones will dry up.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm

The problem, if you want a particular boat, is waiting for a suitable one to come up for sale. There aren't many Aries 155 that I have seen come to the market. Similar problem with boats like the Rockpool Isel and especially an, anything like new, Anas Acuta. There probably aren't masses sold to start with and owners tend to hang onto them.
Rather than waiting I think sometimes the only option is to bite the bullet and buy one from new. They are likely to give you years of service and still will eventually sell for a reasonable amount second hand so, in terms of yearly cost and the 'grin' factor they are pretty good value for money......plus you get to choose your own colour.

Rog.

seanr

Post by seanr » Thu May 24, 2018 8:53 pm

I tend to agree.

Irish Sea

Post by Irish Sea » Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 am

+ You can get things like custom placed bulkheads to reduce flooded cockpit volume, increase storage capacity and use as a comfortable footrest. Some makers will also do things like custom deck fittings, hatches, factory installed pumps, seats and even custom layups/reinforcements on request. So in the end it comes down to how much you need/value that kind of things.

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Sat May 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Composite sea kayaks especially are getting lighter and lighter. I would definitely pay the extra to get a boat that I can easily carry whether its a river boat or a sea kayak.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 pm

You only get custom colours/graphics on a new boat :D
My sea kayak cost more than both my cars put together, in fact if I throw the van in too the combined cost is not much more than the kayak...
If you love your sport and your boats, don't try to rationalise things by comparing costs, just get saving!

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Remember the raw materials alone cost £300-£500 depending on resin used, carbon, Kevlar etc. Then another £300+ for hatches, footrest, skeg, rdf's etc. Then add 40 man hours work at what, £20? The manufacturer's cost of building a kayak is easily £1600, add delivery, dealer margins, advertising, cost of running a company, and of course tax, and two and a half grand for a new kayak doesn't seem so crazy, or... just get a mass produced rotomoulded SOT from China.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.