P&H Scorpio V Perception Essence

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
Cumbria

P&H Scorpio V Perception Essence

Post by Cumbria » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm

The Scorpio seems to get some excellent reviews and from what I can tell is a boat that would fit my requirements well. However for a few hundred quid less the Essence also seems to be a good boat - I currently have a Carolina (and coming from the same manufacturer) which as a relative newbie to the world of sea kayaking has been a great introductory boat.

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on both craft and ideally a comparison of the two if anybody has such experience.

Mark Graham

Re: P&H Scorpio V Perception Essence

Post by Mark Graham » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 pm

I cant comment on the scorpio but I had an Essence 16 and it replaced an Expression 14 (which my lady wife now paddles). The Essence was noticeably narrower and faster, edged pretty well and still felt stable and safe. The narrower hull made it a much better fit for me and the boat seemed pretty tough and well finished with a decent finishing kit, seat arrangements etc. There was plenty of room on board for a few days camping kit, and the boat tracked nicely - I did some medium crossings in it (Arisaig to Eigg, another time from there to Skye and back in a day) and it was comfortable for that length of time. I also paddled it in some rougher water conditions without any real drama.
I would still have it but the opportunity came up to try a composite boat which I particularly liked (a Chatham 16) so once I found one of these the Essence had to go to make room.
Hope this helps.

Mark Graham

Post by Mark Graham » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:10 pm

Sorry - I also meant to add that it felt a significantly better kayak than the expression for me personally (no my wife didn't want the Essence, she prefers the more stable expression) - so if its a step up from an essence its perhaps two steps up from a Carolina. And having a day hatch is a big plus.

Hirsty

Post by Hirsty » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Having paddled both, I would make the following comments, the Essence is very well fitted out with loads of seat adjustments, there is good storage and the Skeg works well. It's pretty stable although the slightly narrow design gives a slight wobble on the primary stability and it's reasonably fast. But the thigh braces are poor and don't always give support when rolling and the single skin design does give a bit in bigger swells.
The Scorpio is very stable and is a good introduction to expedition paddling, you shouldn't notice too much difference from the Carolina in terms of primary stability. There is bags of room for storage and the triple skin design keeps it firm in rougher weather. It edges well and the secondary stability is very forgiving allowing you to progress and improve paddling techniques. There are two issues to be aware of, it tends to be a heavy boat (the new version has improved this) and it does weathercock even in slight winds but the Skeg works well and when used the boat tracks well.
If I had to choose I would go for the Scorpio but make sure you have a friend to help lift the boat on and off the car plus carrying it to the water, or buyer the new model. Hope this helps.

Cumbria

Post by Cumbria » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback - once again positive comments about both boats and once again the Scorpio just seems to edge it!

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:09 am

I've paddled both extensively and currently own a mk1 Scorpio. I seriously like both boats but would always take the Scorpio over the Essence, It just does everything a bit better and is noticeably better when things get a bit bouncy due to being stiffer.
If you are looking at buying new and are thinking the Essence is possibly a better buy due to being a few hundred quid cheaper I would advise you to get a slightly used Mk2 Scorpio. This boat is a big improvement on the Mk1 and I would definitely rather have a used Mk2 than a new Essence. It will also have a better resale value in years to come.

Cumbria

Post by Cumbria » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 am

Once again helpful comments which continue to confirm that the Scorpio would be the better boat, but the Essence is a good second choice. Ideally I'll be aiming for second hand as I generally feel that a good used boat represents better VFM, consequently future purchase will depend on what's available at the time I'm ready to buy - having said that I reckon I've seen more 2nd hand Scorpios up for grabs;

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm

There are always Scorpios for sale, but also if you haven't already done so you should try and paddle both as well as as many other boats you can. Others to consider would be the Valley Etain or Aquanaut, or for something a little shorter but more playful the P&H Delphin and Valley Sirona also come highly recommended by owners. I also have a plastic Sirona and it's become my go to boat for everyday paddling and is brilliant in the rough stuff.