Poggies or Gloves^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Sea rider

Poggies or Gloves^

Post by Sea rider » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Im looking for either poggies or gloves for paddling this time of year.I'd like to have something thin that gives you good feeling on the paddle. I've tried 3mm neoprene gloves but they just feel to thick with not much feeling of the paddle.Are there any good poggies that arent to much of a faf to get on and off and keep your hands nice and warm.Any feedback of what you guys use would be most helpful before I go out and buy some

MarkEb

Re: Poggies or Gloves

Post by MarkEb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Poggies for me. I've never got on with gloves for exactly the reasons you mention. Personally I have always preferred the nylon ones as I've found the neoprene ones to heavy but I guess thats just personal taste.

Mark

Yew

Post by Yew » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 pm

On rivers I use pogies if im running or not expencting to get wet, but when playboating they fill with water and can get a bit cold. If you want paddle feel, someone I know has some open palm gloves that they like. (ironically I think they are made by Palm too)

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Yes, Palm palmless mitts are designed to confuse the uninitiated...

I have a pair, and while I don't do much cold-weather paddling, I find them quite good. The open palm gives paddle contact, the mitten part keeps fingers warm, and it's easy to slip your fingers out if you need to manipulate rope, camera or whatever, without taking the whole thing off.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

Seadog

Post by Seadog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:19 pm

poggies for me (but not tried the palmless gloves)

wildmauie

Post by wildmauie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:57 pm

i use certain grey colored gloves (as recommended by someone who works with steel, welding, cnc machines and that kind of 'cold' stuff) which give a good grip-feeling and only protect from the contact cold-feeling, not the temperature air 'cold' itself, if you understand what i mean. I have no idea how they are called or what the brand is. They work for me. Maybe that give you a direction you might looking for, i believe certain car garages and repairguys of metal use them a lot. They are sold by a box, not by a pair of gloves.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 am

I use poggies for the same "feel the paddle" reason that's already been mentioned. I do have an old, totally falling to bits pair of gloves that I like but I've ever found another pair like them. The Lomo neoprene poggies are cheap and simple and I find I can get my hands in and out of them pretty quick, compared to some of the other brands which can be a bit of a faff.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 am

Because I am always stopping to take photos gloves are no use to me, Palm Descent pogies are incredibly easy to get in and out of and are my preferred choice of pogie.

As far as gloves are concerned the O'Neill FLX 2mm is really pretty good as it is warmer than washing up gloves but thinner than most neoprene gloves.

Douglas

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11 am

Just an observation:- double g shortens the preceeding vowel, like in doggy or egg, whilst a single g allows a long proceeding vowel like in stogie, or pogie.

I just realised some people spell dodgy as doggy (which is definitely dodgy) so maybe those examples won't work for all :-)

I prefer pogies on the sea, don't like them on the river though, the trouble is if you pull your hand out when things get a bit a rough and then accidentally grab the paddle around the pogie you will have little or no control over the rotation of the paddle (depends on type of pogie). FWIW mine are plain nylon, they keep the wind off and you would be amazed how much difference that makes!

Ian_Montrose

Post by Ian_Montrose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am

I've tried both neoprene gloves and neoprene poggies and dismissed both. The tend to soak up water and if you take them off during a break they are really hard to get warmed up again. I've now got a pair of the Suzy's pogies which are nylon lined with a heat reflective coating. They create a very nice micro-climate for your hands, protect from windchill and don't absorb water. They're also very light weight and pack-able.

http://www.stirlingcanoes.co.uk/shop.as ... rod_id=466

Yew

Post by Yew » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 am

Ian_Montrose wrote:I've tried both neoprene gloves and neoprene poggies and dismissed both. The tend to soak up water and if you take them off during a break they are really hard to get warmed up again. I've now got a pair of the Suzy's pogies which are nylon lined with a heat reflective coating. They create a very nice micro-climate for your hands, protect from windchill and don't absorb water. They're also very light weight and pack-able.

http://www.stirlingcanoes.co.uk/shop.as ... rod_id=466

They actually sound good, I do find that sometimes my Neo pogies take a while to warm up.

puddled

Post by puddled » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Bog standard Lommmo Pogggies for me when paddling with my Lendals but started using Greenland stick in past months and find neo gloves work better for dancing my hands along the length of the stick.

pud
Northshore Atlantic/Burn 2/Greenland T/Prospector

Ligan

Poggies or Gloves

Post by Ligan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:11 pm

I tend to carry both, Blue fisherman's gloves if I expect to roll or swim as I can tuck them under the Velcro cuffs on my drysuit. Poggies if i am out for a longer day or don't expect to go in but i do find they restrict you ability to move your hands around on the paddle loom. I have tried Neoprene gloves even the pre bent ones and just don't get on with them. Though the Palm less gloves sound interesting.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 pm

puddled wrote:Bog standard Lommmo Pogggies for me when paddling with my Lendals but started using Greenland stick in past months and find neo gloves work better for dancing my hands along the length of the stick.

pud
I laughedd :)

John N

Post by John N » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:18 pm

I have PALM POGIES. One of the best paddling presents I've ever had. So good that the sprog bought me some cycling ones last Christmas (though I've been to lazy to confirm if they work yet).

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Kayaks'N'Beer wrote:
puddled wrote:Bog standard Lommmo Pogggies for me when paddling with my Lendals but started using Greenland stick in past months and find neo gloves work better for dancing my hands along the length of the stick.

pud
I laughedd :)
Me two!

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:53 pm

"Palm" open palm mitts work for me, easy to get on and off and plenty of feel on the paddle

seylan

Post by seylan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:45 pm

I've used gloves and pogies but since I tried palmless gloves I wouldn't dream of using anything else. They work so much better than I would have expected - I could bore you for hours (well, for 10mins at least) on the things I like about them.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Suzy marathon pogies, which are a bit shorter and therefore easier to get on and off are the bee's knees.

They would seem to meet to OP's request for something easy to get on and off.

Gloves don't work for me. Pogies do.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Re: Poggies or Gloves^

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Saw this today, seemed relevant ( see section on pogggies - about half way down)
http://tsunamirangers.com/2013/01/21/co ... test-gear/

janet brown

Post by janet brown » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:00 pm

I use either open-palm mitts or Palm Descent pogies. Like both, but find they both have disadvantages.
Open palm mitts:
Pro= Can flip back out the way when not wanted/needed.
Con= Once almost failed to find the spraydeck grab loop when bailing out on G3 river.

Palm Descent pogies:
Pro= easy to get hand back into these compared to others used before. Toasty warm on rivers!
Cons= I feel my hands are trapped inside them; rub the back of knuckles sometimes. Can get too warm, and then get in the way if paddling with hands out of them.

I have circulatory problems, so have to use something. I really prefer the open-palm mitts, but feel I should prefer the pogies! Have gone back to mitts recently, as they're easier to just flip off when paddling a harder rapid, and then put back on for flatter sections. Also want to trust my roll, and that seems happier with mitts than pogies: not sure why!

Janet

tg

Post by tg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Kayaks'N'Beer wrote:Saw this today, seemed relevant ( see section on pogggies - about half way down)
http://tsunamirangers.com/2013/01/21/co ... test-gear/
Great link. Never thought in those terms before; especially the check list. I use poggies most often, also Helly Hansen fibre pile sailing mitts, neoprene gloves have never done it for me. I was given some riggers gloves as used on the windfarms a while ago these need testing. Also rubberised cotton gloves. I figure keeping the wind off to be most important.

I would add that overtight latex neck and wrist seals can be doggy too.
"I sink therfore I am".

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 pm

tg wrote:
I would add that overtight latex neck and wrist seals can be doggy too.
Yes - in fact, a surprising amount of extra warmth can be got from using a neck tube / buff over a neck seal. Mike.

WaterStillScaresMe

Post by WaterStillScaresMe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 am

On a river I use pogies, but as it hasn't been said yet consider - if only briefly - bog standard rubber washing up gloves. I use a doubled up pair for canoe polo. They look very silly - but tucked into my cag stay relatively dry inside. They don't keep my hands super warm - but seem to allow them to not get super cold either. It takes only a minute to warm them back up. And the grip on the paddle is great... frequent repair/replacement necessary though.

Carbonius

Post by Carbonius » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 pm

NO GLOVES!!! Trust me, gloves wont make your hands warm in cold weather...TESTED.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Update: I had to do a rescue on Loch Lomond at the weekend. The windchill was brutal. Had trouble working my fingers to deploy my towline, after my hands were out my pogies for 20-30 secs max. Pair of gloves would have helped immensely.

As soon as I had the line clipped on and my hands back inside, tho, fingers thawed out in no time flat.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:12 pm

I have thin gloves - they don't work in any other context than giving some blister protection.

I have thick gloves - they work, but you can't feel the paddle or do / hold anything while wearing them.

I have pogies - which work very well indeed while one's hands are in them, but of course once hands are out there's no protection and I've had KNB's experience.

I've just ordered some open-palm mitts - and will report in due course.

Mike

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:33 pm

Lomo Neoprene/Amara gloves for me - much better than bog standard neoprene gloves. I just don't get on with pogies at all. The gloves work to near-freezing conditions, and despite the fact that pogies provide more warmth, I just don't bother going paddling when it's so cold that you have to break ice.

I also wear a neoprene hood when it's cold, and I'm pretty sure that half the equation of keeping your hands warm and functional is about keeping your head (and body) warm. I heard a funny story about someone who used pogies swimming at LVWWC, holding their hands out of the water to keep the cold water off them!
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Technoengineer :
Lomo Neoprene/Amara gloves for me - much better than bog standard neoprene gloves.

Not for me. I have a pair and once wet ( about 15mins or so) I have found them to be more or less useless ! Palm "Descent Poges" for me every time !

Phil

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 pm

I actually find that initially wetting them helps. One of my paddling rituals is to dip my hands in the water and slap it on the back of my neck...
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos