3 Star Sea and 4 Star Leader Seas Skills DVD ROM - any good

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
dpround

3 Star Sea and 4 Star Leader Seas Skills DVD ROM - any good

Post by dpround »

Is this DVD from the BCU any good? I want to go for 4* sea, but need all the help I can get!

http://www.bcushop.org.uk/product/170/3 ... ls-dvd-rom

All the best

David

Owen

Re: 3 Star Sea and 4 Star Leader Seas Skills DVD ROM - any

Post by Owen »

Not really IMHO best bet it to just get out and practice.

Kate D

Post by Kate D »

David,

I think going paddling is going to be way more beneficial than watching it. The DVD's are ok to give you an idea what standard is required but your training course should do this in a much more individually taillored way. I would recommend going paddling and be really honest with yourself about the conditions you are paddling in. Check out the remit for the award and remember you will need to be completely comfortable in conditions at the top end of this i.e. wind of force 4, waves 1m high (this means your mates will disappear from view when there is a wave between you and them) and tide of 2 knotts. Can you put your boat anywhere you want within your group in these sort of conditions? Could you rescue someone in these conditions? Is your roll reliable?

Candidates who are strong at assessment can put all of their energy (physical and mental) into leadership while not having to work particularly hard at their personal paddling skills.

Do not concentrate on the bare minimum experience requirements for assessments. Successful candidates usually have well in excess of the 10 trips.

Good luck,

Kate

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer »

Kate D wrote:David,

I think going paddling is going to be way more beneficial than watching it. The DVD's are ok to give you an idea what standard is required but your training course should do this in a much more individually taillored way. I would recommend going paddling and be really honest with yourself about the conditions you are paddling in. Check out the remit for the award and remember you will need to be completely comfortable in conditions at the top end of this i.e. wind of force 4, waves 1m high (this means your mates will disappear from view when there is a wave between you and them) and tide of 2 knotts. Can you put your boat anywhere you want within your group in these sort of conditions? Could you rescue someone in these conditions? Is your roll reliable?

Candidates who are strong at assessment can put all of their energy (physical and mental) into leadership while not having to work particularly hard at their personal paddling skills.

Do not concentrate on the bare minimum experience requirements for assessments. Successful candidates usually have well in excess of the 10 trips.

Good luck,

Kate
Well said kate! If you can scrape through by the skin of your teeth you are not, in my opinion, a leader. You're an accident waiting to happen.

OwenBurson

Post by OwenBurson »

I won't add to Kate great reply, but just to say that the DVDs are primarily aimed at coaches delivering those awards, not those taking them.

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River »

OwenBurson wrote:I won't add to Kate great reply, but just to say that the DVDs are primarily aimed at coaches delivering those awards, not those taking them.
Same as the 2 Star DVD, a bit of moderation.......

Mike A

Post by Mike A »

I have a copy, wouldn't recomend it as a must have.

Save with the 2 star DVD really.

But agree that it looks like it is aimed mainly at coaches - where there is definately a need for standardisation!

The variation in skills that I am seeing in paddlers who supposedly have their new 2 star is amazing - I wonder if in part that is down to the wording of the syllabus and not all coaches understanding what it means / involves?

At least under the old, non outcome based syllabus, each required stroke was identified.

dpround

Post by dpround »

Thanks for the advice. I am working on the personal skills, for instance last weekend I spent two days doing rough water training with Nigel Dennis and Eila. (First time around North and South stack & survived - yay!) I am looking at getting mentoring, or setting up a self-help group of other 4* aspirant paddlers. I have done 4* leader training once and know I have a lot to learn. I do not learn physical skills quickly and am a bit of a coward so tend not to push my luck even when it would do me good.

I have led many times for family and friends, but thoroughly inside my comfort zone, which is not currently top end sea state 4, top end of force four & gusting a bit more...

I am working towards 4* and then MWE so that I can take the scouts on the Menai Straits outside the scout hall., rather than dragging them all the way to Llyn Padarn or some other body of water that is in my current remit.

All the best

David