Reed clothing

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Oldschoolmicro

Reed clothing

Post by Oldschoolmicro » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:58 am

Hi
Do many people paddle in it ? Looking at getting some of the high back leggings as had enough of having a gap better current leggings and thermal top combo, just wondering how hard wearing it is, will knees rubbing on inside of composite boat wear through ? It says it's hard wearing !
Thanks

Bards

Re: Reed clothing

Post by Bards » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20 am

Loads do, and generally stay with it, which says it all. The 'gimp look' doesn't do it for everyone (let's face it, what paddle wear does?!) but it's much harder wearing than it's light weight would suggest, and as is well known drys unfeasibly quickly. So long as the contact area isn't abrasive (loose strands, whatever...) there shouldn't be a problem and I'm with you on the appeal of high backs...

Bards

Oldschoolmicro

Post by Oldschoolmicro » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:08 am

Cheers for the reply, reckon I'm gonna go for some ! The gimp look is a slight concern but as its mostly gonna be worn on a weekend I'll go with it !! Lots of people seem to wear it - not sure how many of them are just sponsored tho !!

Bards

Post by Bards » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 am

Oldschoolmicro wrote: Lots of people seem to wear it - not sure how many of them are just sponsored tho !!
Well to declare my conflict of interest here, I do head up an agency which has a lucrative Chillcheater cage-dancing deal over in Ibiza during the summer (this also gets us the carbon Greenland sticks we grind up and down on for nothing...). I think Freya may gets hers on the cheap as well, but the vast majority I see in the clobber fall so short on the SexGod Paddler continuum I hope they pay full RRP if not over the odds...

Yours in gimping,

Bards

seylan

Post by seylan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:25 am

Like button???

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 pm

I have a pair of Reed salopettes and use them for sea kayaking. Hugely comfy, warm irrespective of what I wear under them and they pack away very small (so easy to stick in a hatch on a warm day) but... The inside seam tape detached from the feet within half a dozen uses and the feet seem to leak at random places.

I called Reed to ask about the tape problem to be told to (a) either pay for a repair (after only a half dozen days paddling in ~ a month from new!) or (b) use a warm iron to reattach the tape. No question of sending them back then which does not at all reflect what others have said about Reed customer service. No joy with resticking the tape even on using a warmer and then a quite hot iron. That said, the lack of tape doesn't seem to be causing any problem - yet.
The leaky feet have resulted in my paddling with wet legs and feet on a regular basis (and multiple dots of Aquasure repairs on the feet). OK, it's most likely my fault and I puncture them (although there was a tape patch on one foot from new) but given that I really do try - I change either on a mat or sitting down, don't walk about in just the salopettes and wear Lomo wellies over them while paddling this is worrying. No way would I consider using them in WW or OC without wearing something over the top to protect them (so it's just not going to happen).

I love my Reed deck for sea kayaking; lightweight, comfy, fitted with a bail tube and packs very small. I don't do cross deck rescues though...

Sorry Reed - my experience is a real pity as I genuinely do like the fabric and fit but am put off by its apparent fragility. To add balance, I've used drysuits and trousers from different manufacturers over the years with both fabric and latex socks and have yet to find anything that genuinely has dry feet after more than a couple of uses. Don't even get me started on delamination of "breathable" fabric - not something that the Reed kit suffers...

Barry

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Penny (my wife) uses the reed shorts which she really likes because they dry quickly & don't feel 'soggy' like neoprene when wet, but they are not very durable.
Ken

Oldschoolmicro

Post by Oldschoolmicro » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Ah !! This is what I wanted to know !! Everybody well most seem to say its great, however am I going to wear through my knees from the rubbing inside my sea kayak ? Yes ken anything is better than neoprene and that soggy sweaty feeling !! Might just be back to the ronnies - which are indecent enough !!

atakd

Post by atakd » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 pm

heybaz wrote: I called Reed to ask about the tape problem to be told to (a) either pay for a repair (after only a half dozen days paddling in ~ a month from new!) or (b) use a warm iron to reattach the tape. No question of sending them back then which does not at all reflect what others have said about Reed customer service.

I've also been disappointed by Reeds customer service though I think their stuff is good - I've bought more despite the after sales care. Had similar tape seam problems, though on an older garment which I hadn't looked after very well, and was told to send it back with £35 fee for inspection. This may or may not cover the repair costs - they wouldn't tell me so I didn't bother. Ordered a new cag in July and got sent one 4 sizes smaller than ordered. Sent it back then rang them at the start of September to be told my returned item was lying unopened in the office. They also failed to refund my return postage charges as they had agreed.

I asked another clothing repair company and they said they couldn't repair Reed seams because the material stretches more than the tape.
Andy

hugozero

Post by hugozero » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:18 pm

I bought an aquatherm reed spraydeck a couple of years ago. its well stretchy & has been used on 4 different sea boats and my GP. Its fine until you get it in heavier seas & it lets in water around the deck. That said its very comfortable & my wife uses it in calmer water. The tape fell off within the first 6 months & one call to Reed made me realise that returning was not an option! It scuffed up very easily when I cross deck rescued another paddler but the material didn't actually break.We bought 2x aquatherm sleeveless T''s & have hardly used them. The gimpy leggings have their fans but I'm not one. I like my Peak shorts or leggings & fleecy neoprene top for summer, shortsleave combi peak topdeck for spring autumn ( Merino underneath) & Typhoon drysuit with variety of base layers for cold weather.

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:50 pm

To add / clarify - paddling in cold weather / cold water, I don't bother with anything but a dry suit (and put up with damp feet / fleece!)

Barry

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:54 pm

I've had the sallies and touring cag since about 2005 and their still going strong, although the leg seam is starting to go. They can get quite smelly if they stay damp for any length of time, like when doing multi-day trips. I have a Lomo drysuit that I wear in wintertime but have used the reed stuff for doing wet work in winter in the past with no ill effects. I've also used their decks in the past, they work well on glass cockpits but not so well on plastic ones.

MartinG

Post by MartinG » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 am

I've had the salopettes for almost 3 years and they've been used in a fibreglass boat for about 2 years. No sign of wear on the thighs or knees and I don't have any padding under the deck. They are very comfy and a really good fit. I've had to give the feet and lower legs Aquasure blobs and patches for pinholes though. I'm almost sure I'd buy another pair when these finally go.

tigerboy

Post by tigerboy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Also got a touring cag, had it for many years no real signs of wear as yet. Highly recommended.

usuallycrocked

Post by usuallycrocked » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:52 pm

I've got salopettes, but they like like a sieve. Despite bulk orders of aquasure (it's the first thing I see when I go to Amazon), new perforations appear. They are really hard to spot, too.
I've also got a cag and a deck, which are fine. I like the deck because it's much lighter than a neoprene one, and non-absorbent. The cag is comfy, though gets pretty sweaty and smelly on long trips.

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Bards wrote:Loads do, and generally stay with it, which says it all. The 'gimp look' doesn't do it for everyone (let's face it, what paddle wear does?!) but it's much harder wearing than it's light weight would suggest, and as is well known drys unfeasibly quickly. So long as the contact area isn't abrasive (loose strands, whatever...) there shouldn't be a problem and I'm with you on the appeal of high backs...

Bards

I use Reed gear quite a bit and I would say that it is very slow to dry as it absorbs so much on the inner surface. Comfortable and silent (no rustle) when paddling. I only use it in summer / good weather though !

trigger

Post by trigger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I've gone off their aquatherm kit in recent years, but their transpire fleece is divine!!!

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:45 pm

I have A paddle suit, dry cag, shorts, shirt, socks, gloves etc etc and use it twice a week all year round. They have even made me extra warm gloves and IMO the kit is great.

Yes it needs lots of care when compared to say my Typhoon dry suit but it's so much lighter and flexable it really makes a difference when paddling. I've found it dries very fast and you just put it in the washing machine to clean it. I've only had one problem which is some tape over the zip comming away but they immediately told me to send it in for a free repair. They are also modifying my cag with a wide neck at the same time.
Mal

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:18 pm

For well over half of the year, paddling top is just either a long or short sleaved aquatherm (PVC ish) top.

It works for me as it is just so comfy, flexible, and altogether much less faff than a cag with all their seals and bulk. Obviously I do get water in boat as there is no cover over the top of the deck, but I can live with the amount that comes in by wearing neo shorts.

Also wear the socks inside most of my paddling footwear, but I do wish they were cut better in the toe area - I find the material tends to squeeze the toes together a bit too much.

Most of my thermals for when I am in dry tousers and dry cag are reed transpire fleece - again comfy and warm.

Wouldnt get the aquatherm leggins on looks alone!

As to the cags / suits, not sure about the suits but would give the cags a serious look at when it comes time to replace my sea cag.

Looking forward to trying out my new reed sea deck which is on order as we speak.

Sudo

Post by Sudo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:41 am

I have been using Reed paddling gear for over 6 years its brilliant,light weight flexible and drys quickly at end of session.I paddle white water ,surf and sea so plastic and composite boats.I find the kit high quality and hard wearing,i still wear my original cag and trousers in the surf and yes they have had the cuffs replaced once at a very reasonable price but they are 6 years old.
My reed Kit consists of:- Dry Cag 6 years old
Dry trousers with ankle cuffs 6 years old
Dry cag 3 years old
Touring cag with deck 3 years old
1 aquatherm deck 3 years old
1 aquatherm deck with map loops 2 years old
Dry trousers with socks and compfort zip 1 year old
1 short sleeve dry cag 1 year old
1 coverall cag deck 1 year old
2 sets of transpire fleeces 5 Years old
1 aquatic pro buoyany aid for sea 5 years old
1 Pertex suit for emergency dry kit 3 years old

I am lucky that i am retired now so i get plenty of time on the water at least 3 times a week and live 5 mins from the beach in |North Devon and yes i will go on buying reed gear when i need it and would be happy to recommend it to everyone. Clive