DIY leg lifters? dead leg

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Thompo

DIY leg lifters? dead leg

Post by Thompo »

Hello

Really struggling with a dead right leg after 20mins paddling. Changed from Aquanaut club to a Scorpio and its definately more comfortable but leg is still going after a short while.

Looked at the seat in a Perception Essence and it seems very supportive and adjustable. Has anyone retrofitted this seat? or any DIY leg lifter solutions?

The P&H seat seems to be very deep cut and i can feel it pressing on the back of my thighs, has anyone else had this problem with the P&H seat and been able to resolve it?

Cheers Neil

craigo

Re: DIY leg lifters? dead leg

Post by craigo »

Hi Neil i had same problem dead leg syndrome in north shore atlantic club boat i then bought a scorpio was still suffering from it so sold that and bought an essence's 17 found that a lot more comfortable but did'nt solve problem fully. I then had a word with my G.P he found that a tendon in lower back to be imflamed and was trapping nerve causing dead leg now solved with some physio and anti-imflamitery's. Now enjoying my paddling again.

tommfuller

Post by tommfuller »

Maybe not the answer you wanted, but improving my flexibility solved this problem for me. If you've not very flexible around the hips /legs / lower back (and a lot of people who run, cycle etc aren't) then it might help you too.

Cheers,

Tom.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

I agree about the flexibility, sign up to yoga classes.

Something else to look at is the footpegs, replacing these with a foam bulkhead means that you can wiggle about more and alternate from straight to bent legs whilst still connecting to the boat. You could also try shoes with and without heels or different thicknesses of sole. I doubt if the problem is in the seat which is just somewhere to rest the bum on.

lg18

Post by lg18 »

Hi,

this is a problem that many people get. For me it improved when I (i) loosened my seating position (less tight in boat), (ii) did lots of warm-ups and ham-string stretches before kayaking, (iii) improved my paddle technique (body rotation). But everyone is different!

Here's some previous threads that may have some helpful pointers:

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... um#p135234

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... um#p417302

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... um#p462462

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... um#p497074

Thompo

Post by Thompo »

Thanks for the info.

I honestly think its something to do with my heel resting on the hull as it gets sore before my leg starts to go?

Could probably do with more flexibility, day job is probably 50/50 walking/seated and never stretched before paddling, will give it a go this evening and see if it helps. Strangely i find once it starts to go i focus on good technique it gets worse much quicker.

Will try some stretching and additional padding and see what happens, got a few ideas for leg lifters too.

asmar

Post by asmar »

I used to had the same problem on a Tahe marine seaspirit kayak. I tried everything (custom seat, different backrest, replaced the braces with less tight) and I end up getting a Perception Essence 17. Since the Essence I paddled about 20 different sea kayaks and those that don't give me the dead legs syndrome are the:

Perception Essence
Tahe Reval midi
Tahe Oceanspirit
Tahe marine fit
Tahe wind

Try to measure the height inside the cockpit, if it is lower than 30cm it will give you the dead leg problem.

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles »

+1 for a foam bulkhead.
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

ian the badger

Post by ian the badger »

I'm with Tom Fuller on this one. I had the same problem, and given the same advice.

My chiropractor gave me a basic ab roll, which I now do 3-4 times on each side before I paddle, and again when I get the chance. It works for me, that said I have made a foam seat which supports my upper thighs.

Good luck.

Thompo

Post by Thompo »

I think i may have found the source of my problem. I rigged up some leg lifters similar to those on the Perception + some stretches and they definately helped but didnt cure things.

Id usually paddle in a drysuit or farmer john wetsuit (lomo) + cag, but this weekend we were on an inland flat water trip so i went for some dry(ish) trousers and a rash vest. Upto 3hrs at a time, total of 10hrs in the boat and not even a sign of the numbness.

Now thinking the wetsuit might be causing it, will have to get out and try it with the drysuit and figure out whats going on.

I do notice lomo suit bunches a bit at the backs of knees and hips do the Pre-bent suits suffer from this?

Cheers Neil

trigger

Post by trigger »

Thompo wrote:I think I may have found the source of my problem. I rigged up some leg lifters similar to those on the Perception + some stretches and they definately helped but didnt cure things.

Id usually paddle in a drysuit or farmer john wetsuit (lomo) + cag, but this weekend we were on an inland flat water trip so I went for some dry(ish) trousers and a rash vest. Upto 3hrs at a time, total of 10hrs in the boat and not even a sign of the numbness.

Now thinking the wetsuit might be causing it, will have to get out and try it with the drysuit and figure out whats going on.

I do notice lomo suit bunches a bit at the backs of knees and hips do the Pre-bent suits suffer from this?

Cheers Neil
I would try and avoid wetsuits,, yeah they're great if you're intending to take a dip or exit your boat in a wet way? But conventional clothing is so much better, if its not mid winter, I'll often wear polyester jogging bottoms on my lower half, they're cheap, dry quick , mega comfy, and my spray deck works. And before its suggested that I'm a placid water paddler, that simply isn't so.

burch

Post by burch »

This may sound extreme but I use Crewsaver Isthmus hiking shorts. They are designed for dingy sailors and have a stiffened section on the back of the leg (thigh). They were specially designed to help dingy sailors from getting dead legs when they hang out over the side of the dingy for hours....same problem different sport...may be worth a try.

Bards

Post by Bards »

I used to get this paddling a Nordkapp HM with the bar foot rest very badly (had to disengage it an hour into the Eddystone; not ideal!). I binned it after that and just stuffed a bag full of kit down there instead to push against and never again had the slightest problem, so may just have been the foot contact point that was the issue - I don't think my sitting/leg positions were affected.

Bards

cj

Post by cj »

My solution is even more simple. A 6pint milk plastic carton with the bottom cut off. This is great for one hand bailing. Stuff a big sponge inside the container. Sponge is also good for the last of the water and wiping the boat down after. When used together, put them under your thighs and you get a dual use leg lifter.

Hubert

Post by Hubert »

My solution:
A roll neoprene in front of the seat.

A year ago i switched to a another boat with what i thougt was a comfortable foamseat. Whatever i tried, i couldn't paddle for more then 20 minutes before my feet and legs where competely dead. It was even hard to get out of the boat sometimes.
I fixed a big tube over my footrest wich was really comfortable. but didn't help for the pins and needles. After that i made a lot of small holes in the seat, didn't help either. After reading on this board that somebody put a sleeping mat in front of his foamseat i taped the neoprene mat in a roll before my seat and now i can paddle until the rest of my body starts protesting. ;-)

Lots of rotation on the seat and hamstring stretching before paddling does help, but for me this was the only fully working solution. (and i'm unfortunately not that flexible).
On newer boats i see 'longer' seats, so it could be a well known secret for the manufacturers. Whenever i get rich i want to fit in a nice composite seat (like John Willacy's circumnavigation boat).