New sleeping bag..

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
budgester

New sleeping bag..

Post by budgester » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:42 am

Well I've been camping for many years, mainly as a walker/hiker, however after paddling now for 4 years I'm finding my sleeping bag is becoming uncomfortable due to an increase in shoulder size.

It would seem I've put on 6" around the shoulders as none of my old suit jackets fit, they were a 36" but now anything I try on in a shop is a 42", ok I've put a few inches on around the belly as well since I passed my mid thirties as well, but we don't mention that.

So any recommendations for a sleeping bag when I don't have to have my arms wrapped round myself all night.

dwrgi

Re: New sleeping bag..

Post by dwrgi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17 pm

ASDA! They do a big bag for 18 quid! Not the warmest, but fine for two season in the uk i reckon.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:54 pm

I spent about an hour discussing this very same problem with a very nice lady from Needlesport in Kewsick a couple of weeks back. The solution we came up with was to see if I can have an extension sown into my Rab Down bag. Apparently these people might do it:
www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk tel 015395 36333

The other alternative as discussed with the guy at Fishers Keswick was a USA made sleeping bag by Big Agnes (never heard of then until now) The difference with theses bags is that you have to slip your thermorest into the envelope in the back of the bag.
This reduces the amount of actual bag there is allowing them to manufacture a bigger bag without increasing the weight. Looks good but I think I would like to try one before I part with cash.

If you solve the problem please let me know.

andyE

Post by andyE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:36 pm

I am 6' 1" 44" chest, and a bit rounder around the middle than I would like. I use a Mountain Equipment Xero 350. 93% Down 7% Good quality feather. 730g and fits in a Yellow 5L Exbed Dry Bag. This looks good too Valandre

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:21 pm

You're not all that big that you shouldn't find a bag with enough room ---- RAB used to make an extension piece to add width. Worth an ask? Phd will make bags to any size and spec you want. Links are in the Almanac / camping. Mike

Ade Mould

Post by Ade Mould » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Distance around Shoulders 60 inches. Alpkit Skye High 600 extra long...
http://www.alpkit.com/skyehigh
Goes in an 8l drybag with little persuasion.

Used to use a Rab, they don't make the fillets any more.
You could get away with a duvet jacket and use the existing bag open like an elephants foot.
I did this for many years before Alpkit solved the problem.

StewartR

Post by StewartR » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Ade Mould wrote:Distance around Shoulders 60 inches. Alpkit Skye High 600 extra long...
http://www.alpkit.com/skyehigh
Goes in an 8l drybag with little persuasion.
My chest is 48 inches but my shoulders often require 50 inch sizes. I cannot even zip up some bags, others make me feel like I'm in a straight jacket. In the past, I often slept under my bag rather than in it. This required an extra sheet. Alpkit looks a potentially good option.

I recently bought one of these, but I think I got the last one imported to the UK.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/ExtraLa ... lt,pd.html

A Scottish 3 season bag with lots of room around the shoulders. I'm happy to sleep in this bag rather than under it! It can be difficult to compare brand dimensions as some refer to girth and others width. Others seem reluctant to publish dimensions.

Stewart

Yakdiver

Post by Yakdiver » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:19 pm

I have this one Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher 500 (Down) lovely and soft and very warm
Name Richard
Point 65n Sea Cruiser
Ocean Prowler

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 am

You can still get expansion panels for the Snugpack range of sleeping bags, see here http://hmsupplies.com/Sleeping-Acc-s/Sleeping-Bags.html but these are made made fibre fill, not down.

EK Sydney

Post by EK Sydney » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:39 am

Paddlesmacker

Post by Paddlesmacker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:24 pm

Snugpak do sleeping bags with extender panels.

Nanok's special forces range are oversized and very comfy

Wiggys bags in the states are oversized and come with a lifetime guarantee.

If you really want a comforatble sleeping bag though, you need a Montbell with elasicated baffles. Mine stretches from 1.5m accross to over 1.8 and I can cross my legs in it. It also makes it warmer. Prepare to pay though and its import only from the states

dwrgi

Post by dwrgi » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:06 am

Come on gear geeks! ASDA Pod. Light, warm, huge, packs small. £18!

Can't go wrong.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Ive had loads of different bags over the years and for me light weight = cold so I splashed out and bought a North face Solar Flare http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-nort ... lar-flare/. Its a bit bulkier than my other bags but boy oh boy is it comfortable and big inside - Im 6ft 6 and the long version fits perfectly with plenty of room at the shoulders.
Mal