Pevensey call-out

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Pevensey call-out

Post by Mark R » Sun May 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

thames kayak

Re: Pevensey call-out

Post by thames kayak » Sun May 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Ambulance chaser.

thames kayak

Post by thames kayak » Sun May 27, 2012 11:42 pm

I hope you don't email my employers and get me sacked.

I just found out this is what you do you Mr RAINSLEY

WHAT A TWAT

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun May 27, 2012 11:50 pm

What amazingly unpleasant posts. What on earth are you going on about?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

thames kayak

Post by thames kayak » Sun May 27, 2012 11:54 pm

Have you contacted peoples employers and tried to get hem dismissed when you have disagreed with their posts?

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun May 27, 2012 11:55 pm

Absolutely not. What planet are you on?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

bobt

Post by bobt » Mon May 28, 2012 2:04 am

thames kayak wrote:Have you contacted peoples employers and tried to get hem dismissed when you have disagreed with their posts?

I'd love to know how you think Mark would know who my employer is, or anyone else's for that matter. Never mind the bizarre idea of how they'd react to an email from him asking for my dismissal because of something I posted. If you can let me know what you've been smoking I'd appreciate the info.

Graham T

Post by Graham T » Mon May 28, 2012 6:48 am

thames kayak wrote:I hope you don't email my employers and get me sacked.

WHAT A TWAT
Marks postings on rescue situations involving kayaks are good information for those involved in this sport. I disagree with your post and found your tone offensive. If you have been told Mark has done as you appear to accuse then better man up and be explicit so he may defend himself. Judging Mark purely by his own posts over a long period of time does not suggest a person so petty small minded stupid spiteful or vindictive as to do what you accuse. My opinion

Kate D

Post by Kate D » Mon May 28, 2012 8:53 am

Back on topic, the above incident demonstrates the importance of having some form of identification in or on the kayak. A name, address and phone number written inside the cockpit might have saved a lot of rescuers time, effort and money and perhaps got the stolen kayak reunited with its owner more quickly. I'm just off to label mine now.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Mon May 28, 2012 8:44 pm

That is a good idea Kate, don't forget to include name, address, email, phone number etc oh, and employers name and address just in case.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon May 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Harry Whelan, seems to me that you owe me either an explanation or an apology.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Tue May 29, 2012 10:18 am

Can I just say that I (and many others, I suspect) appreciate the posts from Mark regarding kayak incidents.
We have a lot to learn from these and most if not all are in the public domain already.
If this post was indeed from a member of the kayaking community, rather than a mindless troll, then I would think that an apology or explanation was in order.

Strad

Post by Strad » Tue May 29, 2012 10:44 am

must admit I tend to follow the call out info from the RNLI twitter, so I only tend to read the threads on here when there are a few posts - i.e. someone on here has added additional information or a useful thought about the incident. I fail to see what thames kayaker is on about - posted on return from the pub of a sunday evening maybe???
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

budgester

Post by budgester » Tue May 29, 2012 10:52 am

Running a forum, or other resource such as this is time consuming and often a thankless task.

I for one would like to take the opportunity to thank Mark and any other behind the scenes goblins that help him, for running this forum/website.

And keep posting the incidents, they are useful for learning.

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Well said, Budgester

Yakdiver

Post by Yakdiver » Tue May 29, 2012 1:12 pm

It must be too much sun ^^^

I always have a laminated card on my kayaks with name address ect
Name Richard
Point 65n Sea Cruiser
Ocean Prowler

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Tue May 29, 2012 1:40 pm

thames kayak wrote:Have you contacted peoples employers and tried to get hem dismissed when you have disagreed with their posts?
As far fetched and ridiculous as this sounds, I have to admit, you've piqued my curiosity, so I'll ask the question - What the hell does any of this have to do with the current topic? Maybe your wild and outrageous accusations belong in another thread?

SeaSpirit

Post by SeaSpirit » Tue May 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Kate D wrote:Back on topic, the above incident demonstrates the importance of having some form of identification in or on the kayak. A name, address and phone number written inside the cockpit might have saved a lot of rescuers time, effort and money and perhaps got the stolen kayak reunited with its owner more quickly. I'm just off to label mine now.
I have registered my kayak with the MCA CG66 Scheme, details here: https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/public/cg66/
I have used a permanent marker to write the CG66 personal reference number, together with my name & mobile number in the cockpit and have a laminated copy of the CG66 registration form in the day hatch.
David

Yakdiver

Post by Yakdiver » Tue May 29, 2012 4:35 pm

I think most of us are with the MCA CG66 Scheme
Name Richard
Point 65n Sea Cruiser
Ocean Prowler

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Tue May 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Kayaks'N'Beer wrote:
As far fetched and ridiculous as this sounds, I have to admit, you've piqued my curiosity, so I'll ask the question - What the hell does any of this have to do with the current topic? Maybe your wild and outrageous accusations belong in another thread?
Yep.. Me thinks that he got his threads mixed up. Now let me think.. Ah Yes.. Could it have something to do with that Welsh Saint ?

Phil

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed May 30, 2012 7:49 am

WHAT A TWAT
Still waiting for an explanation from you, Harry Whelan.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

tg

Post by tg » Wed May 30, 2012 11:47 am

Hey Big H,

(check your pm.s first!)

How you doin...?

See I told ya.

smiley face, smiley face, smiley face
"I sink therfore I am".

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Mark R wrote:

WHAT A TWAT
Bump.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Pitchpole

Post by Pitchpole » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Mark R wrote:
Mark R wrote:

WHAT A TWAT
Bump.
Don't feed the Trolls

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Pitchpole wrote:Don't feed the Trolls
Well, I can't really win, can I? If I delete his odd accusations, I look like i've got something to hide. If I ignore them, people presumably assume it's true.

I've met the guy briefly, he seemed a pleasant and friendly fellow. So, I can only assume that he's an unpleasant and abusive drunk. But his words and actions are for him to explain, not me.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Bards

Post by Bards » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:14 pm

I've only met the poster briefly a few times and found him to be pleasant and engaging. Add to that his other posts on here and I can't see any reason to describe him as a 'TROLL'. Probably someone who, for some unknown backstory, had a latenight uncharacteristic moment. Whilst the silence in itself is telling, I think MarkR is more than reasonable to expect a response on a public forum, and it's fair to assume others have informed him of the unfolding thread even if he has not been online himself. A response to thread or a P.M. damage limitation exercise might not be the worst of ways forward.
I hope it gets resolved; has a huge amount to give as a paddler and guide, that's for sure...

Bards

Bazza S

Post by Bazza S » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Mark,
I've been following this thread and I am very very reluctant to get involved and am probably sticking my neck out by finally doing so.
I do realise that the second of Harry's posts is offensive and I'm not defending that at all. What I will say is that I have known Harry very well for many years and he is one of the straightest people I know.
Ok there are a couple of things I feel I should mention although the ammount of information I have is limited and also I am not prepared to mention some names.
Here goes. Last summer someone who uses this forum was in Anglesey and was telling a friend of mine about a thread which he got involved in. Apparently you had a disagreement with him and he became abusive towards you. He was then blocked from posting on this site. He was posting whilst he was in work and using work facilities and he said that his employers were contacted to let them know what he had been doing. I'm afraid I do not know his name and I also do not know the name he uses on the forum. If what he said is not true then I appologise and think that the person concerened should also appologise. The reason I have posted this is because I think this maybe what Harry was refering to and you have asked Harry for an explaination but he is unable to post although I am not suggesting that he wants to.
Mark R wrote:Harry Whelan, seems to me that you owe me either an explanation or an apology.

Pitchpole wrote:Still waiting for an explanation from you, Harry Whelan.

Bump.
Still waiting for an explanation from you, Harry Whelan.[/quote]

I can understand you wanting an appology as you have been offended and didn't have a clue what he was going on about but after Harry's third post he was blocked from posting again. So repeatedly asking for an explaination when he is blocked from posting makes it look like he hiding which he is not.
I considered sending this to you as a PM but quite a few other people have commented on Harry's posts telling him to "man up and explain", calling him a "TROLL", suggesting he is talking about "A Welsh Saint", asking "what he is smoking?" so I decided that I should explain to them as well.
I hope this helps rather than makes things worse as I'm really not trying to stir things up.
Barry Shaw

Graham T

Post by Graham T » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Hey Bazza big balls for trying to straighten this out always a no win situation for a person in the middle I hope it gets resolved one way or another but the plot thickens

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:51 pm

Bazza S wrote:Last summer someone who uses this forum was in Anglesey and was telling a friend of mine about a thread which he got involved in. Apparently you had a disagreement with him and he became abusive towards you. He was then blocked from posting on this site. He was posting whilst he was in work and using work facilities and he said that his employers were contacted to let them know what he had been doing. I'm afraid I do not know his name and I also do not know the name he uses on the forum. If what he said is not true then I appologise and think that the person concerened should also appologise.
This rings some bells, but is mostly untrue. I can recall one very irrational individual who swore at some folk on the site and was banned for a few days. He then oddly actually asked to stay banned (I never understood why, it was certainly nothing to do with me, something to do with wanting to 'make a stand' over someone criticising some friend of his?). For reasons unclear, he then moved to another website and started posting messages which I interpreted as physical threats to my person; I should re-iterate that I had (and still have) no idea what this individual's actual problem with me was, having had no actual dealings with him, on UKRGB or elsewhere. Part of the pleasure of having a presence on the internet is that all sorts of folk think that they own a part of you, and (thankfully extremely rarely) some of them are genuinely frightening and/ or dangerous. I judged this fellow to be one of these people. I eventually informed him that if he did indeed issue any further threats or suchlike, I would indeed contact his employer. I did not hear from him again, and did not contact his employer. Make no mistake though, I would have done this without a second thought, along with the police. There is almost nothing that I would not do to protect myself and my family when endangered, and I do not apologise for that.
Bazza S wrote:after Harry's third post he was blocked from posting again.
This is untrue. I have just checked his account; none of the site editors have blocked him or interfered with his posts.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Send three and fourpence. We are going to a dance.