Anglesey Rescue (updated)

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Anglesey Rescue (updated)

Post by Mark R » Sat May 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Re: Anglesey Rescue

Post by Mark R » Sat May 05, 2012 5:12 pm

From Moelfre ALB - The ALB launched at approx. 1300 to a kayaker in difficulty on the water. Upon arrival the crew found a group of kayakers who had gone to assist the casualty. The Rescue Helicopter was also on scene. It was decided to get the casualty onboard the ALB and then winch her to the helicopter. The casualty was suffering from hypothermia and was in need of medical attention. After successfully winching her to the helicopter a second casualty was taken ashore to Amlwch port to recover his car The ALB then located the kayak, which was ashore near to Amlwch port, before returning to station. This service saw the FIRST outing of our NEW LIFEJACKETS.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Yakdiver

Post by Yakdiver » Sat May 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Well done to the other kayakers and not forgetting the RNLI
Name Richard
Point 65n Sea Cruiser
Ocean Prowler

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat May 05, 2012 7:13 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

gizmo

Post by gizmo » Sat May 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Well done Rich J, Geth, Kirsty, Rachel and Aaron. I hope you all had the customary and very well earned beer.
Paul

marcusdemuth

Post by marcusdemuth » Sat May 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Fantastic job by the three kayakers (and RNLI and RAF of course), whoever these three kayakers are, hats off to and congratulations.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Sat May 05, 2012 11:15 pm

Sounds like there were at least 3 kayakers on the water that knew what they were doing. Well played.

Graham T

Post by Graham T » Sun May 06, 2012 6:43 am

While they needed rescue if they did not have pfd's and wet suits on then this may have had a different ending.It perhaps shows the limitations of some wet suits at this time of year a timely reminder for every one.
I add my "well done" to the others for all concerned who went to their aid, and hope both those rescued have fully recovered from the experience

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun May 06, 2012 4:05 pm

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w ... -30912154/

Were these trips/ groups part of the Anglesey Symposium?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

gizmo

Post by gizmo » Sun May 06, 2012 6:29 pm

No it was not related.
Paul

Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed » Sun May 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Thoroughly well done to all involved.

Mr Ed

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon May 07, 2012 12:28 pm

http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/press ... eid=769217

Probably a stupid question, but what's the big green thing?

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

No Kayak

Post by No Kayak » Mon May 07, 2012 12:31 pm

The Incredible Hulk's bloated, dead carcass? Never even knew he was into kayaking!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon May 07, 2012 4:38 pm

The green thing is a flag, as can be discerned from this rather dramatic video...

http://www.rnlivideolibrary.org.uk/getv ... d=qirb5ouu

Question, for those who know about such things...why did they helivac the female casualty whilst still steaming along at a fair pace?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

SeaSpirit

Post by SeaSpirit » Mon May 07, 2012 6:03 pm

"Question, for those who know about such things...why did they helivac the female casualty whilst still steaming along at a fair pace?"
I'm not an expert, however, I understand that a helicopter requires more power to remain in a hover than to fly and so winching 'at speed' is preferable. I am sure I have heard this quoted in the various 'Rescue' programmes on TV but there is no doubt someone out there with the expert answer!
David

Joe S

Post by Joe S » Mon May 07, 2012 6:59 pm

SeaSpirit wrote:
"Question, for those who know about such things...why did they helivac the female casualty whilst still steaming along at a fair pace?"
I'm not an expert, however, I understand that a helicopter requires more power to remain in a hover than to fly and so winching 'at speed' is preferable. I am sure I have heard this quoted in the various 'Rescue' programmes on TV but there is no doubt someone out there with the expert answer!
SeaSpirit is right - the more windspeed the aircraft can generate the less power it will need to hover, giving the aircraft more options.

Travelling forward at speed also increases the directional stability of the vessell; in addition to moving the downwash of the aircraft behind the transfer area and the boat below, meaning the boat and crew are not being constantly buffered by the downwash from the aircraft again making it easier to winch to a more stable platform.

Joe

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Tue May 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi All,

Reflecting on the incident of 5th May at Point Lynas (Anglesey) I believe there are some important points that should be emphasised. Notably, the importance of providing a Passage Plan to the CG at the start of the day. To aid my explanation and add context, I will summarise our activities and facts from my perspective.

Our group (5 paddlers) had planned a trip from Porth Eilian going West to Cemlyn using the Ebb tide and opportunity to play in the race which forms at Point Lynas. We contacted HMCG with our Passage Plan before leaving the shore. We enjoyed the race and headed to East Mouse, noticing two other Kayaks between Porth Eilian and Point Lynas. East Mouse is a small islet 3.5km West of Point Lynas.

At East Mouse I had a call (VHF) from CG who explained they had received a report of two kayaks in difficulty. CG asked about our group and any sightings of the casualty? Maintaining VHF contact with CG I separated our group with three paddlers (Rachel, Kirsty and Aaron) now returning East (close to shore) myself and Gethin further seaward, against but not quite in the main flow where I predicted the casualty would be taken. We could thus have sight of a significant area of water.

Approx. 1km East of East Mouse we saw two red kayaks. One in the main flow the other around 300M landward and empty. We paddled to the seaward boat and found a Male(M) and Female(F) in the water holding onto the boat. The kayak was flooded, including the front hatch and could not support a paddler. Both paddlers were now very cold. M had difficulty holding onto my boat. We rafted Gethin’s and casualty kayak and hauled M and F onto front and back deck to get them clear of the water and I was going to tow the raft landward aided by the rest of our group. At this point the group could see what was happening and joined us to assist, putting additional clothes on the now very cold (hypothermic?) casualties and providing the reassurance they needed. (Well done, Kirsty!). Rather than tow, CG informed me Moelfre lifeboat and helicopter were on their way. Using VHF we were able to inform both about the condition of the casualties and release smoke at the request of the helicopter. Both casualties were taken on the lifeboat, F was then taken by helicopter to Hospital and M landed at Amlwch. We also landed to meet CG and generally help M who was still very cold, confused and generally shaken. Rachel’s appreciation and understanding of the effects of cold were so useful.

Lifeboat had now located second kayak on rocks close to Amlwch which Aaron and Gethin successfully retrieved (skilled rocky landing!).

This covers the main points of our involvement on the water. Clearly, the chain of helpers made this all work. Initial call to CG from observant person (Thank God!). THE PASSAGE PLAN TO CG; with VHF we became an additional asset to CG and the rescue. It should be noted the casualties had been in the water around 40mins. They were physically weak. On arrival at Hospital F body temperature had dropped to 34C.
Without VHF/Passage plan we would have been ignorant and only confused the work of the rescue services. We might well have been rolling in the race; “in difficulties”!

The DAYNIGHT flare was useful to the helicopter and if nothing else, helped the pilot keep the downdraft away from our raft!
I have not spoken about the initial cause of the incident. M and F made some basic errors over choice of route for the day and came out of their boats in rough water. M had a phone in his front hatch which became flooded when he tried to retrieve it. The phone did not work. I do not believe it is my place or indeed necessary to add any further details.

One final point. Our group regularly paddle together. It was truly fantastic to have everybody working so well together to make life somewhat more comfortable for M and F

Richard Janes

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue May 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Excellent work, well done and thanks for sharing your experiences.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 pm

RichJ wrote:The DAYNIGHT flare was useful to the helicopter and if nothing else, helped the pilot keep the downdraft away from our raft!
In this incident... http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/2011/01/30/pan-pan-2/ - to summon the lifeboat, one especially incompetent member of our team mistakenly let off a night flare rather than a day (smoke) flare.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Tue May 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi Mark,
We had previously had a practice letting off flares. Very glad I had!

Richard

angleseykayaker

Post by angleseykayaker » Tue May 08, 2012 11:41 pm

RichJ wrote: Lifeboat had now located second kayak on rocks close to Amlwch which Aaron and Gethin successfully retrieved (skilled rocky landing!).
Aaron has been getting a lot of practice with his rocky landings recently! Well done to all involved, you and your group's actions are a glowing testament to the professionalism, expertise and helpfulness that exist within the sea kayaking community. I hope to paddle with you again soon, Rich (this is Rich, Roger Pyves' friend you paddled with in Rhoscolyn a few weeks ago)!

HUNTER

Post by HUNTER » Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 am

Richard,

Your actions make good positive reading.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Wed May 09, 2012 10:22 am

Well played Richard, sounds like you and your mates helped save a couple of lives at the weekend. You should be proud of yourself!

Daker

Post by Daker » Wed May 09, 2012 10:53 pm

RichJ wrote:Without VHF/Passage plan we would have been ignorant and only confused the work of the rescue services.
This raises an interesting point when it comes to logging-in with CG; most folk think that if THEY are well within their comfort zone there is no real need to log their intentions. However, as in this case, if the CG knows you are there thay can use your location / knowledge to assist them.

And well done to all who assisted.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Catching up on my reading, the RNLI "Offshore" supplement (Issue 53, Autumn 2012, page 6) carries a short article by the paddlers who were rescued in this incident. It doesn't add much detail to the summary in Richard's post, but really shows how quickly one's decision making skills can go downhill when cold and stressed. I'm very glad there was a good outcome.

Chris