Flasks^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Pete

Re: Flasks^

Post by Pete »

Kim Bull wrote: Warmest wishes
but not necessarily warmest food...

;-)

Mr Hoppy

Post by Mr Hoppy »

I've given up, none work that well the contents end up stewed and unpleasant tasting. I use my teeny stove, it'll boil quickly enough that by the time I've eaten it's ready to go and it's properly hot freshly made tea.

David A

Post by David A »

Mr Hoppy wrote: I use my teeny stove, it'll boil quickly enough that by the time I've eaten it's ready to go and it's properly hot freshly made tea.
Sounds about right. Nothing beats a fresh brew up.

David A.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thermos Thermax ordered and arrived. In the highly scientific environment of my kitchen, in a controlled test, after 12 hours the contents were still very hot. I will report as things develop - I will also be retaining the proof of purchase - - -

Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Mike I tested mine when it first arrived as I was sceptical whether it would meet it's claims having been let down by several other flasks including another Thermos. Following a prewarming the water was still hot a full 24 hours later as advertised only downside I can see is if you want more than the .8 litres I am pretty confident you will not be disappointed

Daker

Post by Daker »

Mike, Im sure you wont be dissappointed.
I regularly take mine for a days windsurfing, dont get round to drinking it, it gets left in the van overnight, then finally is emptied the following day and amazingly, well after 24hrs is still fairly warm !
Enjoy.

Grahamd

Post by Grahamd »

I use Tesco flasks and find them fine for use over a day. On these and thermos flasks I take the top off of the plastic stopper and put a small plug of polystyrene cut to shape in the void, thn replace the plastic top. This increases the thermal efficiency considerably.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Just in case it helps anyone, there's a Freepost address for returns of Stanley flasks - -

Burton McCall
FREEPOST (LE 1954)
163 Parker Drive
Leicester LE4 0JP

Bards

Post by Bards »

MikeB wrote:Just in case it helps anyone, there's a Freepost address for returns of Stanley flasks - -

Burton McCall
FREEPOST (LE 1954)
163 Parker Drive
Leicester LE4 0JP

Thanks Mike - will be despatching flask forthwith, possibly along with food flask. May well be bothering Thermorest shortly as well to boot, having had a pleasantly surprising result with Kryptonite's lifetime guarantee on a bike lock. Hereby declaring 'Year Zero', 'Zero Tolerance', 'No Pasaran' etc. on full implementation of guarantees offered...

Yours dissatisied etc etc etc

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Daker wrote:Mike, Im sure you wont be dissappointed.
I regularly take mine for a days windsurfing, dont get round to drinking it, it gets left in the van overnight, then finally is emptied the following day and amazingly, well after 24hrs is still fairly warm !
Enjoy.
Bought 13 May 2012.

Died 12 April 2013.

On it's way back to Thermos. Thankfully, I'd kept the receipt.

Hey ho. Mike.

coldwind

Post by coldwind »

Thumbs up for "Thermos" flasks. Had a Stanley and it was great until the rubber seal on the stopper gave up and kept coming off. Didn't know about their customer service, over 12 months old so I binned it.

As for Lifeventure flasks. I had one delivered and the stopper wouldn't sit flush so I took it back to "Cotswold" and the first two I looked at on the shelf were exactly the same. The staff were going to report it as a manufacturing fault. Ended up coming away with dry bags instead.

Helen M

Post by Helen M »

MikeB wrote:
Bought 13 May 2012.

Died 12 April 2013.

Hey ho. Mike.
Hmmm - you're being very calm about all this Mike! I think it was maybe on it's way out at Easter as I remember both you and Cat commented about the temp of the water in it.

Good luck with your next one!

H - x

mick m

Post by mick m »

coldwind wrote:Thumbs up for "Thermos" flasks. Had a Stanley and it was great until the rubber seal on the stopper gave up and kept coming off. Didn't know about their customer service, over 12 months old so I binned it.

As for Lifeventure flasks. I had one delivered and the stopper wouldn't sit flush so I took it back to "Cotswold" and the first two I looked at on the shelf were exactly the same. The staff were going to report it as a manufacturing fault. Ended up coming away with dry bags instead.
do the dry bags keep yout tea hot ?mabe iv got the rong brand dry bags?

coldwind

Post by coldwind »

mick m wrote:
coldwind wrote:Thumbs up for "Thermos" flasks. Had a Stanley and it was great until the rubber seal on the stopper gave up and kept coming off. Didn't know about their customer service, over 12 months old so I binned it.

do the dry bags keep yout tea hot ?mabe iv got the rong brand dry bags?
Nah, but they stop my %&*$%&^ flask leaking every where. lol

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Helen M wrote:
MikeB wrote:
Bought 13 May 2012.

Died 12 April 2013.

Hey ho. Mike.
Hmmm - you're being very calm about all this Mike! I think it was maybe on it's way out at Easter as I remember both you and Cat commented about the temp of the water in it.

Good luck with your next one!

H - x
Calm? Not really - that's £5.20 postage wasted, which they refuse to refund. There's a lesson here - buy locally - the minimal saving made buying direct from Thermos on eBay is more than wiped out by the return postage. One eBay seller is advertising the King flask for £27.99 (free postage) - you can walk into Lakeland and take one away for only £2 more.

Update: 25/3/14 - I ended up with two Thermos flasks - the King Flask - one was given to my partner in April '13 and has just failed. It's on it's way back to Thermos. Not at all impressed. The other seems ok - I'm not holding my breath.

Update: 16/1/15 - The replacement noted in previous update failed over Christmas! Replacement awaited. The one I got in March 14 is still ok.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

And guess what? That one is on its way back to Thermos!

Graham T

Post by Graham T »

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Produ ... lask-0-8L/

I have one of these and so far it has done what it says on the tin all other flasks I have tried including from Thermos has been no blooming good ! either not keeping the contents hot or breaking with little provocation.

The above flask I have got an acceptably hot drink after 24 hours

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Had one - and yes, it worked really well for as long as it lasted - it failed after a year. They replaced it it, of course, as they have the others - but I'm now down over £20 in postage to return the blasted things! Surely to goodness it must be possible to get a decent flask which actually lasts. The Stanley flasks are hopeless these days, despite their earlier excellent reputation - and so, it seems, are the Thermos ones these days. All "made in China" I note. Junk. And not cheap junk.

John N

Post by John N »

My Stanley is still going well (though it's been a while since it was used), but I've had to return another (all matt black crinkly finish - not sure enough of the make to quote a name). This was replaced - no questions asked - but the replacement broke down later. Couldn't be bothered aster that, especially as the Stanley was still doing what it is suppossed to do.

truckturner

Post by truckturner »

I have 5 Stanley flasks 2 food and three drink. they are all used every weekday and they are faultless most are over 3 years old They keep food and drink hot and the tea tastes like fresh tea. I am in the company of a number of builders who also use these flasks one of them had a problem and he sent it back on the freepost address and received a new one by return. However, we all use the Stanley Classic I litre the hammertone ones with the handle and I think that makes a difference. The "outdoor" series seem to be a lot less reliable from the reviews I have read. For years I used Zojirushi stainless vacuum bottles for a 1 litre you used to pay up to £50 works of art but in terms of efficiency give me a Stanley I allways find room for my Stanley flask, it offers good ballast to my kayak and the big handle stops it from rolling around the hatch. Cheapest place to by them is Dunhelm

Peter