Broken Lendal paddle^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
dpround

Broken Lendal paddle^

Post by dpround » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:25 am

I snapped one of the blades on my Lendal paddle Monday night. The paddle was quite nice, a one piece cranked shaft Lendal touring with SF blades. Easily the best paddle I have. I phoned Lendal hoping that they wouldn't charge too much to fix it and was shocked when they said it was scrap! Is there anything useful I can do with this paddle?

David

carpyken

Re: Broken Lendal paddle

Post by carpyken » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:49 am

David, give my partner Fiona a ring tomorrow at 1stWet & Wild, Hull, she has stock of lots of old and obsolete Lendal blades and just may have what you need 01482 354076 - shop closed today.

Ken

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Karitek also have or had some old stock and might have a match (phone not all on website)

To remove the rest of the old blade from the paddle warm it gently to soften the glue and waggle it about until it starts to move, then glue the new blade in.

I have to say though, SF wouldn't be my first choice of blade material, I'd be looking for a pair of some lighter blades to put on the shaft because it sounds like a good one.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 pm

Jim wrote:Karitek also have or had some old stock and might have a match (phone not all on website)
Seconded. Also try Summit to Sea.
To remove the rest of the old blade from the paddle warm it gently to soften the glue and waggle it about until it starts to move, then glue the new blade in.
A word of caution, having tried this - managed to melt the shaft before the glue softened, and I seriously wonder whether the glue was going to do so.
I have to say though, SF wouldn't be my first choice of blade material, I'd be looking for a pair of some lighter blades to put on the shaft because it sounds like a good one.
There are (or were) some seriously competitive prices around on old-stock Lendals recently - certainly the f/glass ones are a nice compromise if you didnt want to spend what it takes to get carbon ones. I'm very surprised to find that Lendal couldn't help. Mike.

Baldy-Old-Troll

Post by Baldy-Old-Troll » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 pm

I recently broke a Lendal shaft while attempting to roll,the paddle was just under a year old and I had no problems getting it replaced by Lendal . I would have to say that the service was outstanding, they did not have a direct replacement available so upgraded the shaft to carbon free of charge.

Stuart.

adele1

Post by adele1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:22 pm

You wont melt the shaft or blade if you boil it in a big pot of H20.works a treat,pull off old one ,clean of old glue and Araldite up the new un and slide it on.Job done!

Jim Tait

Post by Jim Tait » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:54 pm

adele1 wrote:You wont melt the shaft or blade if you boil it in a big pot of H20.works a treat,pull off old one ,clean of old glue and Araldite up the new un and slide it on.Job done!
I've been toying with the idea of changing the feather on my surf paddles- would a kettle or two do? (we don't have a pan big enough)

Or am I better off leaving well alone and wait till I break them properly and have to buy a nice, shiny new set?

Jim

adele1

Post by adele1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:26 am

Hi Jim I tried kettle technique and found i was not able to maintain hot enough temperature over the shaft then decided full immersion of blade in a huge catering pot that i borrowed did the trick.How bout a 5 gallon drum set up with pre-boiled water with kettle and sit on bricks with camp stove on full blast to simmer gently for ten minutes at gas mk 5 untill tender!

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:09 pm

What blade is it ? eg right hand , Kinetic 700, yellow? I do have some spares?
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

dpround

Post by dpround » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 am

I tried boiling the ends of the paddle in a burco. The blades came off the little spigots easily, but I could not get the spigots out of the shaft and ended up destroying them. In retrospect I should have just cooked the new blades and removed the spigots from them. Now it looks like the only remaining hope is to mechanically remove the remains of the spigot with a burr :(

Thanks for all the help

David