Paddle recommendation for outdoor centre?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
asmar

Paddle recommendation for outdoor centre?

Post by asmar »

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a couple of paddles (around 12) that I will use in sea kayaking tours (mainly daily trips) and have no clue what to buy.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bards

Re: Paddle recommendation for outdoor centre?

Post by Bards »

Hi - I'd go for either unfeathered (inline) blades or a split with inline as one option on the push-button, thus avoiding the whole 'are you right or left-handed?' complication... I'm a bit biased there, as I am an 'unfeathered enthusiast' for a whole bunch of reasons, but this paddle choice does keep gear selection for guiding/coaching simpler I think.

In terms of a manufacturer, Carlisle seem popular with centres, I'm sure for a good reason, though what makes financial sense delivered to you I have no idea...

Bards

sleepybubble

Post by sleepybubble »

asmar wrote:Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a couple of paddles (around 12) that I will use in sea kayaking tours (mainly daily trips) and have no clue what to buy.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Are you sure you should be running sea kayaking trips if you don't even know what paddles to buy?

asmar

Post by asmar »

I'm not going to run the trips myself, I've got BCU certified guides for this.

mick m

Post by mick m »

asmar wrote:I'm not going to run the trips myself, I've got BCU certified guides for this.
Mabe you need to ask your gides what gear thay wold like to youse on the trips, having worked for others yousing ther suplied kit it makes a big diferance if your yousing sumthing your happy with . your gides wold also know what works and what dosent

sleepybubble

Post by sleepybubble »

mick m wrote:
asmar wrote:I'm not going to run the trips myself, I've got BCU certified guides for this.
Mabe you need to ask your gides what gear thay wold like to youse on the trips, having worked for others yousing ther suplied kit it makes a big diferance if your yousing sumthing your happy with . your gides wold also know what works and what dosent

Yep, what Mick said. If your not running the trips, then ask the people who are what they want.

heybaz

Post by heybaz »

Hi Asmar

Some interesting points made above. However, given the choice of selecting, but not the problem of actually paying for these paddles, I'm sure most folk would aspire to use / tell you to buy the swankiest paddles that they would like to use but that you would end up paying for - carbon/carbon, lightweight, fully adjustable, etc, etc.

However, reality checks can be useful especially when faced with spending your own hard-earned cash on paddles that are most likely going to be used and abused by novice / intermediate paddlers (or am I making too many assumptions?)...

If your clients aren't expecting top-end paddles, why spend silly money? Something mid-range, robust and durable surely works in your situation. Two part splits make life easy for transport and storage; zero feather or adjustable feather can be useful and maybe a couple of different lengths. A variety of colours helps clients remember which is "their" paddle and also helps identify clients to you / your leader ("hmm, the guy with the red blades looks like he'll be swimming soon..."). I would also suggest so-called high-angled paddles to promote an effective forward paddling action.

Sure, take advice from your contacts and the good folk on here, but more importantly, IMHO, gather as much information as you can, then use it to make an informed decision. And don't be buying paddles at £350 / pair ; )

Best wishes

Barry

Bards

Post by Bards »

Asmar,

I think Barry nails the subject admirably; variety of blade colour and shaft length especially good shout. Make sure you have a respectable set of spare splits for the Leader also, of course.

Bards

guy

Post by guy »

Hi Asmar

You really have two choices
cheap - which will be heavy - none of your guides will use these, which should tell you something.
your clients may notice you have been cheap with their kit

not so cheap circa £100 starting to look and feel better
http://www.canoesandkayaks.co.uk/produc ... dle_Werner
(these ones are black - how will you write your name on them ? )

very nice paddles are available for under £200 but they will not be very durable
http://www.canoesandkayaks.co.uk/produc ... dle_Werner

also length is a consideration - if you have 70/80 cm wide double kayaks get paddles 220 -225 cm
if you have normal 55cm wide kayaks then 215cm paddles are fine for most folk

and don't get paddles with no feather ( I like 45 degrees - but 60 is OK )
flat paddles require a sophisticated double hand action to keep your wrist straight
old school paddles with 90 degree feather are not so good either

see http://calkayak.wordpress.com/2011/03/2 ... the-birds/

asmar

Post by asmar »

Many thanks for the recommendations. I manage to get a large amount of paddles (carbon+fiberglass, various lengths) in a very good price at various sizes.

Thanks