Camera dry bags - once more

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Ligan

Camera dry bags - once more

Post by Ligan »

Following on from the earlier posts on cameras and kayaks, and some one work putting something together. I found these on Evil Bay.
No idea what they are like but I bought 1.

170798446484 Military Issue Zipped Dry Bag Stowage

Pete

Mark R

Re: Camera dry bags - once more

Post by Mark R »

They do indeed look interesting - possibly too large for on the water camera use, though?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-Issu ... 27c4617794
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Bards

Post by Bards »

sinkingpete wrote:Following on from the earlier posts on cameras and kayaks, and some one work putting something together. I found these on Evil Bay.
No idea what they are like but I bought 1.

170798446484 Military Issue Zipped Dry Bag Stowage

Pete
How did it work out? Stowable between the legs... if so which boat/cockpit? Looks good, but I generally paddle fairly skinny boats. Any hands-on feedback greatly appreciated.

Bards

Oarsome

Post by Oarsome »

I don't know how large a camera bag you need, and in what weather you intend to use it, but I use a 3 litre "lightweight" (it's not, really, but it's the red one) Lomo drybag I have shortened a bit from the top:

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/dryba ... ht-3l.html

Ligan

Post by Ligan »

Hello,

The ones from ebay were a bit gash but useable. So i am working on with modifying the design of some radio pouches i had built some years back the design work is about done just sussing out the best size (its easy to scale them up and down in CAD). Given i will be putting about 3K of camera in it I want something that won't leak. So far I haven't found a roll top or plastic seal bag that doesn't leak or fail in the cold which pretty much leaves the BDM zip as the best option.

If any body wants one once I get them finished let me know

P

Oarsome

Post by Oarsome »

Hmm, my "heavy weight" Lomo drybags doesn't fail in the cold, and as of yet, their "lightweight" haven't failed either.

But, anyway, have you considered Watershed drybags? They even make soft innards to protect gear.

http://www.drybags.com/

Bards

Post by Bards »

From the general gist of opinions on here, I think a toss-up between Watershed and Overboard is in order... in any event I'll continue to double-bag water-sensitive kit where possible.
Bards

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

I just so happen to have a Watershed Ocoee for sale:
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 10&t=89276

Would take £50 +P&P.
No longer likely to be in Bala however: went over Easter!

Janet

Jim

Post by Jim »

Oarsome wrote:Hmm, my "heavy weight" Lomo drybags doesn't fail in the cold, and as of yet, their "lightweight" haven't failed either.

But, anyway, have you considered Watershed drybags? They even make soft innards to protect gear.

http://www.drybags.com/
Most of the plastics used become stiff and brittle at low temperatures, making it more difficult to roll for a tight seal and more likely to develop cracks or delaminate around the roll top or the fold/seam at the side of the roll top. It is a time dependant thing too and wear, cracking etc. can mostly be combatted by replacing soon enough.

The Lomo lightweight bags certainly seem to remain supple in low temperatures but are not big enough for an SLR and I have nagging doubts about wear and tear on them - I put my valuables in one, inside another dry bag......

I keep my flares in a heavyweight Lomo bag and they often get wet because the roll top hasn't rolled tight enough due to temperature related stiffness. The flares are of course wareproof in their own right so I don't worry too much.

Lomo bags are cheap enough to account for a regular replacement regime when using for normal kit, for my SLR I use the Ortileb bag and have never had trouble with the seal, but it would not be difficult to accidentally damage the seal and soak a camera.

Pete - do you have an RF welder?

Boots

Post by Boots »

I use my peli box, also have an ortleib bag which I like but find peli case a bit tougher ( peli case 1120 )