Charging a GoPro?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
The Shiner

Charging a GoPro?

Post by The Shiner »

Bit of an odd question-

Has anyone tried charging their GoPro with an ipod wall charger?
(just plugging the camera usb lead into it)

I'm heading off this weekend and can't take my laptop but will need to charge my GoPro.

Rich

mickeyb

Re: Charging a GoPro?

Post by mickeyb »

Yep, works perfectly.
I use a car charger for it too and it charges fine, no issues.

Daker

Post by Daker »

Just make sure you use the GoPro USB charging lead as it has a resistor (or some other electronic gadgetry) that steps down the voltage. Some other USB leads do not have this and you run the risk of frying the battery.

I did this on holiday by mistake and initially the battery died completely but after a few cycles works again altho I now get a lot less run time from the battery than I should.

johnb

Post by johnb »

I know there are some previous threads on this topic, but has anybody had much success with solar chargers for the GoPro?

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I was planning to use the GoPro leads, I just wanted to see if anyone else had done this before I did it and broke it.

Cheers

Rich

Daker

Post by Daker »

Havent tried a solar charger personally but own a PowerMonkey so can give that a try and report back, subject to getting some sunshine of course.

On a slighty different note, what sort of usage time do folks get from their GoPros if on continuously ?

Im sure the manual suggets something like 2.5 hrs on the current model which Ive never had anywhere near to. However I just wonder if thats due to recent temperatures plus when used on the water the battery is always going to be pretty cold anyway.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

The USB cable that came with my GoPro HD HERO is a standard cable that does not have an internal resistor in it. It has the standard USB symbol on the computer end. There is a removable external ballast resistor round one end of the cable but as far as I know that is just to reduce radio interference and it won't affect the voltage of the charging connection.

The GoPro HD website FAQ says:>
How can I purchase the USB wall or car charge adapter?

•We don’t yet stock these items, however the USB wall and car charge adapters are standard items that can be purchased at most electronics stores. You may even already have one for your cell phone or mp3 music player, that will be compatible with the HD HERO camera.
Douglas

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner »

Douglas Wilcox wrote:The USB cable that came with my GoPro HD HERO is a standard cable that does not have an internal resistor in it. It has the standard USB symbol on the computer end. There is a removable external ballast resistor round one end of the cable but as far as I know that is just to reduce radio interference and it won't affect the voltage of the charging connection.

The GoPro HD website FAQ says:>
How can I purchase the USB wall or car charge adapter?

•We don’t yet stock these items, however the USB wall and car charge adapters are standard items that can be purchased at most electronics stores. You may even already have one for your cell phone or mp3 music player, that will be compatible with the HD HERO camera.
Douglas
Thanks Douglas, so it will work then?
Just got in and have yet to try it.

guy

Post by guy »

how about getting a wind up torch with a usb socket
on ebay for £15