Windpaddle sails?^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mikebelluk

Windpaddle sails?^

Post by Mikebelluk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:42 am

ruralweb

Re: Windpaddle sails?

Post by ruralweb » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Used one today on lake Ullswater from glenridding to pooley bridge great fun and pretty fast we easily over took other kayaks. The only problem is getting them down if the wind gets too strong with big waves.
Mal

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:34 pm

No I haven't tried one, but I don't think I will be in a hurry to swap it for the Flat Earth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB255F1gppU

It looks a bit like a parachute, okay downwind but does it work well enough in any other wind direction ? From all the videos I have seen, I get the feeling that you have to stop paddling when you have it deployed. Now that to me is a major inconvenience !

Phil

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Your right phil the flat earth sail is way better - I would put the wind paddle in the bit of fun on a windy day category. Your also right in that you need to be going downwind for it to be any good, it will work with the wind a little off but can easily end up round your ears!!

You can use your paddle if you put the control line behind your head - there is no way I would use it hands off as gusts can flip you and you need to get a support stroke in quick. The real problem I have with it is that it is very difficult to get down in a strong wind (the videos all show calm ish conditions) you must let go your paddle and get it folded when all it wants to do is whack you in the face.

I have used it rafted up in a force 7 on loch ness and we were flying.

If your aim is to use it as a serious sail then I would look elsewhere but it's cheap and easy to keep in the kayak for when the conditions are right. Of all the sails I have looked at the flat earth does look the best.
Mal

Chris329a

Post by Chris329a » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:38 pm

I made my own......cost about £80 I think and recently helped me do a 30 mile trip in 8 hrs on my SOT....went from Warsash to Hurst Castle.

It performs well, allowing me to go about 4mph (GPS speed) against the tide, and 45 degrees INTO the wind....don;t know why you would want anything else!

Here's the best place to make one - yakdiver who is on here ;-)

http://yakdiver.blog.co.uk/

hartfield

Post by hartfield » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi all,

Tried one yesterday.

Plus points, easy to deploy. Caught the wind well!!

However,

First wave that hit me on the way out, I ended up wearing it!! Once the purple and white mist had cleared, tried re-packing, stowing under decklines etc.

It needs a decent amount of wind to hold it up. As soon as wind died a bit, the sail fell down.

Tried sailing across the wind, not that effective.

I didn't cut the sheets and put cleats on the side of the boat, so had to put sheet behind my head so that I could hold my paddle.

Paddling back upwind, the wind was doing its very best to blow it back in my face!!

Having said that, it was great fun, but my large umbrella was just as effective and only 2.99 from Lidil.

We will have all of the major sea kayak sails at the Sea Kayak Expedition Gathering (see events page), where there will be sailing workshops and opportunities to try the different sails.

Hope this helps

Steve

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Looks like it has C-quad style packing, make sure you practise that before you get on the water - trying to read the instructions and work out how to pack the sail afloat when conditions have already got too windy for it is not going to be nice!

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:45 pm

I tried using one once, but mostly that day there wasn't enough wind to keep it filled.

One point - if you want to fold it up, and you start by letting it fall on to the front deck, be careful if it drops off to one side. It will scoop up a lot of water, and suddenly you have a one-sided sea anchor.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

adventureagent

Re: Windpaddle sails?^

Post by adventureagent » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 pm

I got a WindPaddle this week. Trying to find enough wind. Usually I paddle upwind and then the return would be more interesting if I had a sail. This seems to be the simplest to use overall, so that's why I chose it for my XP18. I have saved the rest of this discussion and will review at home. I'v experienced the sail overboard, falling on my face and all the rest. It's practice, I guess. I don't like it topside, stowed. Gathers water, and just seems an impediment on the deck. But that's all there is on my foredeck. Will post when I get a good shot at some wind. Sweltering hot here in Eastern Ontario Canada (Perth, Ontario - sounds like the Brittish isles, eh?), and I'm waiting for a big storm ... like many of you.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Over the last 6 weeks I have been testing one back to back with a flat earth sail.

Plus point is you don't need to drill any holes in your kayak. Downwind it fills OK but is still outperformed by flat earth sail especially if paddle sailing with the flat earth sail.

Minus points include: it is a real handful (two actually) to stow in winds of F4 and above. Despite manufacturer's claims, it does not reach (go across the wind). When reaching in identical kayaks the kayak with the Windpaddle falls away to leeward and behind of the flat earth rigged kayak. It is almost impossible to paddle while sailing it unless you are prepared to attach some cleats to your kayak. You end up just sitting there passively and it is just by chance if you catch a wave. It blocks the view ahead.

I could go on.

Douglas

Skua

Post by Skua » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:07 pm

There will soon be the Pacific Action sail to try as well. I have been using one for 6 or 7 years and it is still going strong. You can see where you are going, you can reach and it does furl easily.

It will leave something on the deck - you can't furl a flat earth though.

Two sizes worth considering, the 1m version whicuh I think will be the best option on a sea kayak, unless you like it hairy!
The 1.5m which works well on sit-on-top kayaks (even composite ones) and drives them very well indeed - over 8 knots in my Marlin in a force 3-4.

A friend fitted a 2.2m one to his Dorado and the GPS was reading 15.7 KNOTS - it was blowing some mind, but even so, he said he was just waiting for everything to go pear shaped! It didn't, he survived, the kayak survived, the sail got sold and he bought a 1.5m one.

Have a look at the Pacific Action website.

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:36 pm

- you can't furl a flat earth though.
Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that both types of sail are launched/ deployed in a similar fashion and stored on deck in much the same way.

Phil

Yakdiver

Post by Yakdiver » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Name Richard
Point 65n Sea Cruiser
Ocean Prowler

username Chris S

Post by username Chris S » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:53 pm

I thought the windpaddle was rather overpriced when it came out a couple of years back so I made my own Im ø version out on a spare flip-out tent (using the same twist and fold principle). Being a tent it turned out to be a flatter disc rather than a deeply dished WP - and it had no window. It worked well enough in a narrow set of conditions and a 'bit of fun on a windy day category' sums it up well. Even worked OK on a packraft.

I then tried a more sophisticated Im PA sail (with a rudder kayak) - cost not much more than a WP.
It sure is fun to sit back, steer with your feet and still make progress; cleats made it hands free but the pleasure never lasts: the wind drops or changes, or the sail has a fit. I found I never went faster that hard paddling. In NW Australia beyond a certain wind speed my PA became unusable in my boat, although a heavy hardshell tandem with a 1.5 managed much better - that thing belted along, even rafted up with me. It's fun to try these things but in the end I decided it was all too much of a faff though I may dig out the old disc sail and give it another go (my PA for sale, btw).

Choochter

Post by Choochter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:01 am

I've been using one of the round pop-up windpaddles at the front of an Aleut double sea kayak for some time. Wee see-through window. Always think it's a great idea to give the arms a rest, but it can act like a real good sea anchor! if you let it within a sniff of the water, it can fill itself scarily full and then, trying to get it back in/up is a real mare. Tried this in a force 6 once. Interesting. Heavy on the pocket too - had to buy many, many beers to get blood pressure back down. Got 18km/p/h on Loch Laxford in the Sevylor using one - now that WAS fun! The Choochter.

username Chris S

Post by username Chris S » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Heavy on the pocket too...
That's what put me off buying a WP. But just after my post above I found a near-identical, no-name product on ebay for thirty quid posted.
So far so good, fitted by boat easily and worked well while paddling too (more in link below).
Can't say I've got close to 18kph yet. Must be a record for a Sevy. Maybe they should rename it Loch Laxative ;-)

Stoney

Post by Stoney » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:24 pm

I have a Pacific Action (I think that is a 1.5m) that is surplus to requirements.
I'm going to post it in For Sale when I get a few minutes spare. if anyones interested let me know (PM)

Martyn