Valley Skerry^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
pickles

Valley Skerry^

Post by pickles » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi,
I am a novice paddler and have a plastic skerry with a foam seat; i am finding it rather uncomfortable when on the water as my right leg tends to go numb and cramp up within about 20 minutes. So far altering the foot and backrest achieves nothing. I have been out in the SKUK Explorer (HV) and had no issues even after 7 hours of paddling. Has anyone experienced the same issues with the skerry and can you offer any tips?

Thanks

Tam

outdoor stevie

Re: Valley Skerry

Post by outdoor stevie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:22 pm

I have a plastic one as well with the ocean cockpit, and I must admit it is not the most comfortable of boats, I put in a block footrest made of foam braced up against the bulkhead so that I could alter me feet but still have control and it made a difference but still get numb legs regularly I think its one of those things either put up with it or change over to summit else,
cheers stevie

Kate D

Post by Kate D » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Just a thought. I used to paddle a plastic avocet with a foam seat and I found I got dead legs within a short time. I discovered the problem was the front part of the side of the seat pressing against my thigh as my legs were turned outwards to engage the thigh braces. The solution was to pull the backrest very tight so that I moved forward on the seat. This way my backside was about 3" further forward than normal. The dead legs were cured. If it had been my boat I might have taken a knife to the padding on the seat sides but as it was borrowed this solution did me fine until I had my own boat.
The effect of moving your body forward can be counteracted by packing your gear a little heavier in the back than you might otherwise.
I hope you find a solution soon. Failing that, sell the boat and but something you can sit in.

seylan

Post by seylan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:16 pm

My club uses Skerrays and a lot of people find them uncomfortable. A lot of the guys in particular get dead legs after short trips so take the foam seat out - that seems to help a lot.

For me it was a relief to finally buy my own boat and not have to endure the Skerray pain (for me it was uncomfortable in the back and knees, specially trying to do any kind of rescue/rolling practice). Having said that, these club boats are very old and it may be quite different with the newer versions.

pickles

Post by pickles » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks folks,

I'm putting the skerry in the pool on wednesday and will make good use of your advise on the foam seat, if it still doesn't work out you'll find the skerry advertised for sale shortly afterwards.

Tam

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:39 pm

I can sympathize. My plastic Skerray gave exactly the same problem. It got changed for a 2nd hand glass Nordkapp Jubilee and the problem disappeared. That got changed for an Alaw Bach and I can sit 8 hours in that superb seat & footrest combination without a break. If you can't sort it sell the Skerray, seriously, life is too short.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.