Carbonlite repairs^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
orkfay

Carbonlite repairs^

Post by orkfay » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:49 am

Just got a new Alaw Bach TCC back home - unfortunately damaged in transit.
Courier appears to be doing the decent thing (But may not stretch to replacement new kayak at full price + delivery).
Kayak has 2 irregular ~1cm x 1cm chips, 1mm deep on left side on left side of cockpit with no obvious damage on interior.
Has any one any experience of getting similar damage fixed on Carbonlite?
Apparently Devcon Plastic Bonder is appropriate stuff, with suitable pigment.

Can kayak be genuinely restored to "new" condition and who is best person to do it?
(I'm in Orkney and retailer is in Devon)

Mikebelluk

Re: Carbonlite repairs

Post by Mikebelluk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Try Rockpool or Karitek, they may be able to get a repair kit to you, or at worst contact Eddyline in the US who build them.
It's probably a tinted methacrylate solvent based filler that you use to fill the hole, sand back and polish.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

seylan

Post by seylan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:55 pm

I had damage to my Eddyline Fathom, which is also made of Carbonlite. It was reparied by Karitek. The damage is just barely visible if you get up very close and know where to look for it and it hasn't affected the strength of the boat (in my case its stronger I think). Karitek got materials sent from Eddyline in the US so I'd definitely call Geoff at Karitek and have a chat about it.

I've got photos of the damage and the repair which I can email you if you're interested.

Silverhead

Post by Silverhead » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi Seylan,

Sorry to hear about the damage.

I recently purchased an Alaw TCC ex-demo and am very pleased with it.
It had very slight cosmetic scratches and I too wondered about repairs/fixing damage etc.

I found this site which may help.
http://happypaddlin.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... epair.html

Hope all goes well with the repairs.

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Peter ~

Apart from the disapointment of receiving a damaged boat, I would be very reluctant to carry out any repairs on it myself. Surely the dealer will take it back and settle the transit insurance costs with the courier, and do the decent thing and supply you with an undamaged boat. Or am I being too simplistic ?

Good luck !

Phil

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:14 pm

I took delivery of a kayak, Point 65 XP18, in November 2011 and that too was damaged in transit. From my wheelchair in the house I saw the courier drop one end down from the lorry. Silly me had signed for it before inspecting it and before it was unloaded.
Once I had it unwrapped by a friend we saw the damage. I repaired the gelcoat a few weeks later and repainted the area and it looked almost as good as new when finished. I then sent the bill to the retailer and also asked for a pair of wetsuit boots thrown in. That way they didn't have to struggle getting compensation from the courier.

All I need now is to be able to paddle it.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm pretty sure carriage costs are not covered under statutory warranty and distance selling rules (if they are a lot of places have illegal terms and conditions).
The carrier should be insured, were you offered a chance to pay for enough insurance to cover the value of the boat, or did the retailer insist on sending it with sufficient insurance cover? If not, you may only get a token amount, I can't think of a service that would cover the full price of a boat as standard.

Either way I recommend looking into repair options, I don't agree with claiming more on insurance than is necessary, and if Geoff can do an invisible repair it would be good enough for me. Best to contact Mike at Rockpool first and see if he can give you a list of authorised repair centres for the insurers, I fully beleive it should be repaired to a standard indistinguishable from 'as new' by the manufacturer or one of his authorised repair centres, if you accept a repair instead of replacement it should be to an equal standard!

The tricky part of course, is carriage to and from the repairer....

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

Due to our location (Orkney), I organised the courier which makes it a bit more complicated - any damage is not the responsibility of retailer.
Another concern is the impact is very close to the seam and with somme damage to the seam.
Ideally I would like a replacement kayak (or second best, a kayak that is as strong and looks as good as new boat)

Courier's website states that all items are "fully insured".
They (and I) have contacted Rockpool and await Mike's response.

The courier appear to be playing ball so far, but I suspect it comes down to what the courier's insurance will pay out

seylan

Post by seylan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Silverhead - that's really useful for future possible repairs.

Peter - I was also worried about the position of the crack on my boat - it was right at the bow and down the keel for about 9 inches in more or less a straight line but also going into the left hand side of the boat at top and bottom. I don't have photos of the damage, unfortunately but I've uploaded a photo of the repair.

And can I just add that Karitek were fantastic. I didn't buy my boat from them - I got it on ebay - but they got in touch with Eddyline on my behalf, got the repair kit sent and did it for nothing. Pretty impressive and I think it shows that this isn't a common problem with this type of boat.

And by the way, my boat held together for a full day's paddling the next day with just gaffa tape.

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Peter, I hope the situation is resolved to your satisfaction . Could you please let us know the outcome.

Phil

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Rockpool confident that boat, repaired properly, will be just as strong as original. However there is likely to be cosmetic evidence of repair.
Am awaiting response from carrier having said to them that transport to and from Ayrshire, repair of boat and some degree of compensation (for boat no longer being as new) would be acceptable.

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Boat has now been checked and repaired by Kari-Tek.
It apparently has no evidence of structural damage
and has been repaired with "slight" colour mismatch.
Now awaiting transport back to Orkney, hopefully before weekend.

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Sounds good, taking into account that it is almost impossible to get a perfect colour match with gel-coat.

Thanks for the feedback Peter :-)

Phil

orkfay

Re: Carbonlite repairs^

Post by orkfay » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 am

Good repair by Kari-Tek (Thanks) plus strategically placed additional starfish.
The repair with transport was done entirely at expense of carrier.
The carriers also knocked a significant amount off their bill.
All in all quite reasonable.

Maiden launch last Sunday

PhilAyr

Re: Carbonlite repairs^

Post by PhilAyr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:50 pm

A sad story with a happy ending. Well done Kari-Tek !

Judging by the picture, I see you prefer to test the quality of the workmanship out in mild conditions before subjecting the boat to anything bouncy ;-)

Phil