Moving water south devon

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
hartfield

Moving water south devon

Post by hartfield »

Hi there,

Coming down to South Devon over the Christmas period. I'm trying to find venues for practicing moving water skills in my sea boat. I seem to remember somebody saying that something happens under Brunel bridge, at Saltash. I'll be staying near Dartmouth, is there anywhere else, friendly tide races, jets of water etc? Thought of the river as the sea could be interesting on the last forecast I've seen.

Many Thanks

Steve

Mark R

Re: Moving water south devon

Post by Mark R »

I would check out the tidal River Dart in the mile or so below Totnes weir.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

hartfield

Post by hartfield »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I've never seen that have currents, jets, eddies etc. But with falling tide, and some rain maybe!!

Cheers

Steve

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

There's a grade 1 eddy at the western pillar of the Tamar Bridge at Saltash. The pillar forms the bank on the Cornish side, only 100 metres south of the public slip. There's room for several boats in the eddy, and 30m downstream a whirlpool sometimes forms. It's fine for learning simple breaking in and out, and you can ferry glide across to eddies behind the other pillars. However, the pillar described is out of the way of other river traffic, and is recommended for that reason.
Another place is further seaward, by the ferry crossing at Cremyll, where a stone pillar provides entertainment at Spring ebb.
Third are small eddies round the line of concrete defence blocks between Drake's Island and The Bridges. The small size gives useful practice of accurate entry, but they are only exposed at fairly low levels.
There's a beginner's tide rip where the line of defence blocks meets the Cornish shore.
Nick.

nickcrowhurst

Rock-hopping?

Post by nickcrowhurst »

It just occured to me that some rock-hopping might interest you, with pour-overs, jets, and protective eddies behind rocks. There is a fine stretch along the north shore of Cawsand Bay, leading east as far as Fort Picklecombe. With strong winds from the south I've found seas the size of bungalows off Picklecombe, so beware. There's a public slip and parking at Cawsand.
Nick.

hartfield

Post by hartfield »

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for that. Does anybody know if there is stuff nearer Dartmouth. Aware of Start Point, but looking for something a bit more contained.

Cheers

Steve

Jake Deakin

Post by Jake Deakin »

As Mark said there are some jets and eddie lines below totnes weir you just need to catch it on a low tide.

Jake

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Mark R wrote:I would check out the tidal River Dart in the mile or so below Totnes weir.
I'm not sure how strong are the currents required but where the estuary narrows at Greenway downstream of Stoke Gabriel there is a reasonable current when the tide is running.

Robbie C

Post by Robbie C »

Head to Totnes!

From about 2hrs before Low tide at Totnes, the river is about 1m lower downstream of the "Old" bridge in the centre of town.
This produces a nice downstream vee ideal for breaking in & out, ferry glides & is rather pleasant.
We (Paignton Canoe Club) often use it to give our members who wish to try whitewater a taster session at the end of summer when it's nice weather.

Park down at Longmarsh carpark, nr the rowing club, past Steamer Quay, where there is a slipway. Paddle up & have fun!

Totnes HW is 15mins after Dartmouth.

It's worth phoning the Police to say your there, esp. if your paddling alone as if you take a swim the well meaning Totnes folk do ring them sometimes!

Post when your going if you want some company!

Robbie C

P.s. Playboaters, nice tail squirts are possible but not a lot else.

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

http://www.valeport.co.uk/InsideValepor ... rtNet.aspx

a link to our tide gauge at Totnes if you want an up to date tide level.