Advice Request for a Padder Visiting From US

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
mshugg

Advice Request for a Padder Visiting From US

Post by mshugg »

Hello,

I'll be visiting the UK from April through early June. During that time, my goal is to meet fellow paddlers and enjoy as many experiences that help me progress toward the 5 Star Sea Award. I'll be taking 5 Star training in Pembrokeshire in April, and again at the Anglesey Symposium in May. I'm interested in meeting like minded paddlers to get as much time on the water as possible. I also hope to find a 5 Star Sea Assessment in early June.

So far, it looks like most of my paddling will be Wales and the Southwest Coast of England. This will be my first paddling trip to the UK, so I'm sure that there's much that I don't know. Please advise me on paddle clubs and any other ways that I can fill in the gaps around formal training to get on the water without breaking the bank. A summary of my paddling qualifications follows in case it helps.

Best,

Michael

Michael Shugg Kayak Coach and Trip Leader

BCU/UKCC Coach Level 2 (Moderate Water Endorsement Sea)
BCU 5 Star Sea Aspirant
BCU 4 Star Sea Leader
BCU 3 Star Canoe
Wilderness First Responder
ACA Level 4 Open Water Kayak Instructor

A lifelong educator, and paddler, Michael has turned his attentions to helping others develop the skills needed to experience the full majesty and challenge of kayaking at sea. He’s working on expanding his own paddling boundaries to the four corners of North America and beyond. He has paddled in Maine, Baja, Alaska, British Columbia, North Carolina, Georgia and his home waters of Florida. In 2010, he completed a solo circumnavigation of Vancouver Island paddling 662 nautical in 35 total days. He is planning a circumnavigation of Newfoundland in the summer of 2013.

OwenBurson

Re: Advice Request for a Padder Visiting From US

Post by OwenBurson »

Hi Michael,

You'd be very welcome to come down to the Isle of Wight and do some rough water, open crossings or a circumnavigation of the island. It would be good to see you again.

Cheers

Owen

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I'm not sure I do any of the serious-sounding stuff you list above - I just go paddling - but if you fancy visiting the rather fine Dorset coast (within sight of Owen's patch) then let me know nearer the date, I'd be delighted to introduce you it.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

SeaKayakingSouthWest

Post by SeaKayakingSouthWest »

Hiya Michael,
Feel free to email me nearer the time on rhoda@sksw.co.uk and I'll let you know if we are doing anything at Bath Canoe Club or Sea Kayaking South West you can join in with. Or we can just go and play - I'm in a similar position to you. I paddle mostly Pembroke, Bristol Channel, Devon, Cornwall, South Wales and Dorset - anything within driving distance of Bath.
Cheers
Rhoda
:-)