Expedition style drysuits^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
geoffm

Re: Expedition style drysuits^

Post by geoffm »

My wife and I have had Kokotat Goretex Expedition suits (and Whirlpool bibs) for a few years now. I never thought the first suit was particularly dry, often feeling quite wet in it. After about 3 years we sent both suits back to Kokotat in the US for testing a repair. Kokotat determined that both suits had begun delaminating and replaced them. Good.
The second suit started leaking after a year or so. My bibs also leaked. Sent both my suit and bib back to Kokotat, who duly repaired several pinholes.
The only trouble is, both the suit and bib still leak. I got back to Kokotat and suggested that maybe they had missed some delamination or pinholes but they flatly refused to entertain the idea. Didn't even offer to take the suits back for retesting (bearing in mind that sending suits to the US from Australia is a complete pain). They did offer to refund the cost of the repairs, not really very helpful as I still have a leaking suit, and bib.
I was asked to send photos of the suit to them. Some areas of the suit have staining on the inside, as if dye has seeped through from the outer. Kokotat called this "clarification" and stated that it was caused by chemical contamination and wasn't covered by warranty. I actually though Goretex covered the fabric warranty and "guaranteed to keep you dry". Apparently not.
So, although the initial customer service was excellent, the subsequent customer service was complete crap. My next suit won't be a Kokotat.
Geoff

lg18

Post by lg18 »

Fed up with wasting money on "dry" suits that are wetter than wet suits, I am considering taking the expensive plunge into Kokatat. I know the Expedition drysuits get an excellent write-up from almost everyone, but has anyone any experience of their Front Entry drysuit with Drop Seat? (thought it might be easier for females since using she-wees through a normal pee-zip serve only to make a right mess!).
http://kokatat.com/activity/sea-kayakin ... women.html

thoughts?

thanks, Lucy

geoffm

Post by geoffm »

Hi Lucy, I asked my wife as she has exactly what you are talking about. She says she has used hers often and wouldn't want to be without it. She agrees with you that she-wees can be less than successful. Sometimes getting the thermals correctly repositioned and tucked away can be a little time consuming and it is important to make sure the zip is out of the way when you are back in your kayak. This may mean having a different size from normal to allow the extra material so that the zip can be settled in a comfortable spot.

Geoff

Matto

Post by Matto »

On that basis don't rule out the new Kokatat Idol which comes apart fully at the waist and has had some good reviews. I'm also considering that one.

http://kokatat.com/products/dry-suits/g ... y-men.html
Matto

lg18

Post by lg18 »

Thanks Geoff and Matto - I've just read a review where it seems like the bum zip can get in the way of getting back intothe cockpit quickly e.g. after a swim, which sounds a bit of a faff and annoying and has put me off a little bit.

But that Idol drysuit looks great with completely detachable top and bottoms - has anyone here seen one, tried one? I wonder if the zip at the back makes it uncomfortable against the back rest?

Lucy

Matto

Post by Matto »

Hoping to try one on soon, but the various reviews I read/watched (Google a few) claim that it has been well designed so that the zip fits nicely between the back rest and the seat, and is really not noticeable.

http://www.nattycordonkayaking.com/kit- ... nd-dry-cag

http://www.canoeandkayakstore.co.uk/con ... ysuit.aspx
Matto

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff »

Lucy
Sea Kayak Oban have women's Kokatat expedition suits to rent if you are out west so you could give them a try.
They also have a green front entry on sale.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford »

lg18 wrote:Thanks Geoff and Matto - I've just read a review where it seems like the bum zip can get in the way of getting back intothe cockpit quickly e.g. after a swim, which sounds a bit of a faff and annoying and has put me off a little bit.
Hi Lucy,

I have the front-entry Kokatat suit with drop-seat. I don't swim a lot (strictly flatwater paddler) but I have done some training session re-entries and not found the back zip a problem. The Feathercraft which I used to have had a cockpit which was a snug fit for me, and I got into the habit of having a little wiggle as I got in, which settled the suit into position. The zip went across the small of my back, and didn't interfere with the backrest, either in the Feathercraft or in the plastic Scorpio I had lessons in.

Some years ago I saw a potential problem reported on an American forum. I can't find the link now, and I think the post may have been deleted. This paddler had a kayak with some kind of rigid hip plates, and she was worried that the back zip slider might hook on the plate if she was trying to wet-exit. The zip slider has a "nose" standing about 2mm clear of the zip, so if you have a hard edge less than 2mm thick in your cockpit, you could hook on to it. I think she used something to fill the gap on the zip and prevent the problem. I didn't keep a copy because it didn't apply to me - there was no sort of "edge" in my kayak that could snag the zip. Bu it's something to be aware of.

I've been very happy with the Kokatat. It keeps me dry if I swim, and it's comfortable to wear when paddling. I thought I might need to get a drop-seat undersuit to wear with it, but opening the drop-seat gives enough room to manipulate ordinary clothes for a comfort stop.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

lg18 wrote:Thanks Geoff and Matto - I've just read a review where it seems like the bum zip can get in the way of getting back intothe cockpit quickly e.g. after a swim, which sounds a bit of a faff and annoying and has put me off a little bit.

y
Not according to my partner it doesn't. Mike

lg18

Post by lg18 »

More reviews of the new Kokatat Idol 2-piece drysuit:
https://kayakjournal.wordpress.com/2014 ... it-review/

http://cksblog.com/2015/03/kokatat-idol-drysuit-review/

Looks brilliant, I think I might have to splash out! (shame the female version doesn't come in yellow like the men's, it will ruin my colour scheme).

Lucy