surf kayak boat bags

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
snigvan

surf kayak boat bags

Post by snigvan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm having a boat bag made for my Mega Neutron & want the best of all designs, so if its not too much trouble could you post pics of your bags please. (or PM me & I'll give you my email address)
I would also be good to know what you like/dislike about your bag & what would improve or add to it, if you could.
Thanks
Dave

nigelhatton

Re: surf kayak boat bags

Post by nigelhatton » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Whilst on boat bags where does one buy such a thing for an 18 footer and what material are they made of ?

snigvan

Post by snigvan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

nigelhatton wrote:Whilst on boat bags where does one buy such a thing for an 18 footer and what material are they made of ?
Any chance you could raise this in a separate post. I'd like to keep this one quite specific.Thanks

Daker

Post by Daker » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:12 pm

snigvan wrote:I'm having a boat bag made for my Mega Neutron & want the best of all designs,
Dave, where you getting yours done ?
Im about to do likewise next week and have 3 possible sources so am interested if you know of any one to be better than others ? (Happy to take this offline is you dont want to clutter this thread)

Ive never owned one before but on my current wish list -
10mm padded all round
extra padding on rails and/or nose + tail
scuff resistant protection on ends
carry handle
shoulder strap
Internal pouch for fins / screwdriver (?)

Maybe - Additional carry handles at either end to allow 2 folk to carry, or one either side for same purpose (?)

surfkayaks.com

Post by surfkayaks.com » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:25 pm

www.canyongear.co.uk

Delia will do you a pucker job.

snigvan

Post by snigvan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:44 am

I'm getting mine done by adrian at aguille http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/ he will.design to my spec.
Canyon gear bag was ok but not quite what I'm after. I also like to buy local & adrian is just down the road.
Let's see your bags & thoughts then folks.

muirs

Post by muirs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 pm

I got a bag from Watertech for my non Watertech boat. It's a little long as not custom made, but I can tuck away the extra at the end, and the width is perfect, so not too much of an issue.
Good points: very well padded, would be 100% happy with the protection level, has a handle and a shoulder carry strap, has a slot cut in the bottom for middle fin. Bad points: due to the level of padding it's a fair bit of extra weight, might be a concern if flying.
Overall tho very happy with it.
Muireann

snigvan

Post by snigvan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:22 pm

A little bump for bag photos & ideas.

Daker

Post by Daker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Mine is on order and should have it Friday so can post comments after the weekend - - - - - -

snigvan

Post by snigvan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Daker wrote:Mine is on order and should have it Friday so can post comments after the weekend - - - - - -
Great, thanks.

Richard Uren

Post by Richard Uren » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:47 am

RB Sails in Cornwall.Excellent service.
www.rbsails.com
PaddlecrestCoaching
It`s the journey that matters, not the destination

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Another thumbs up for R B Sails

Cheers

Paul

snigvan

Post by snigvan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:10 pm

It struck me that people might think I want to 'rip off' other manufacturers designs. That is certainly not my thoughts. I want to create a 'best of' design so seeing other bags would be great.
I have a local chap who will make it, I just need to settle on a design.
I will certainly share the final design so others can benefit & improve/personalise it.

Show me your bags ;)

Daker

Post by Daker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:37 pm

OK, attached are a few pics (altho dunno why they're so small ?) of my bag from Rik at WhaSUP who started out making custom bags for SUP boards and has expanded to do anything you like. http://www.whasup.co.uk

The only things added at my request were -
Extra padding throughout as its for for air travel use,
Carry handles at both ends so 2 folk could lift it and general hauling around,
A couple of webbing 'tie-in' points near the tail as I have some luggage wheels which I intend to strap on temporarily for easy airport use and remove at check-in.

Ive never carried a kayak on a plane before but will be doing so next week so we'll see whether I come back with an in-tact kayak or a heap of broken fabreglass !

Image Image Image Image

Daker

Post by Daker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Try again, this is a bit better - - - -

Image Image Image Image

snigvan

Post by snigvan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks Daker.
Mind if I ask how many £££
I took my last boat to Morocco (plastic though) just in a sailcloth bag & it was fine.
How the new one would get on is a bit of an unknown.
Where are you heading? Let us know how you get on.
Have fun.
Last edited by snigvan on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattj

Post by mattj » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi,

Is anyone in a position to post an idea of price from any of these companies?

Matt

Daker

Post by Daker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:11 am

Im slightly relucyant to discuss prices as I dont wish to influence anyone's decision nor unfairly prejudice other companies.

However, I called or emailed a number of companies and was quoted from £80 to £120 plus P&P for a 'standard' bag with some being happy to add custom features like extra padding / straps etc for only a small extra fee.

As far as I could tell, all the ones I considered were of a simple 'envelope' construction, ie the top and bottom sections were the same size so the bag lies flat when empty making it easier to store but means the seam may be raised from the rail when actually in use. Im sure its possible to make a more tailored fit or a bag with side sections but suspect that would cost a lot more, be a pain to store as it wouldnt fold flat and, having seen mine, Im not sure thats necessary so long as there's enough padding in the bottom that it protects the rails, or you add extra padding to the rails for flight use.

For anyone thinking of flying, my bag weighs around 3.0kg so once you add up the boat, bag, PFD, deck, paddle, the weight fairly starts to creap up.

The company I used offered to make a thinner bag for general use + protection in the back of vans etc but I wanted as much built in padding as I could get. A mate is however going to order a thinner 'day bag' so can repost re that in a few weeks.

A few links for referance -
http://www.whasup.co.uk
http://atlantic-kayaks.co.uk/ Do surfski bags which may suit your kayak off the shelf or can be custom made to fit.
http://atlantic-kayaks.co.uk/Buy-Kayaks ... flyer.html
http://www.rbsails.com/
http://www.watertechkayaks.com/

Daker

Post by Daker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:15 am

snigvan wrote:Where are you heading?
Im off to Cape Town for 4 weeks over Christmas ! ;o))
It really a windsurf trip but the usual weather patterns are light winds AM and strong PM so the surf boat is for those morning sessions. It would have been SO much easier to just take a surf board but Im an awful surfer so tought Id give this a try.

Will remain to be seen if I get a total kicking out there though !!

snigvan

Post by snigvan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Daker, thanks for such an informative post. This thread could turn into a really useful resource.
I'll add photos & details when I get mine made.
Thanks.

SDG

Post by SDG » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:19 pm

I currently have two boat bags. I invested in an Atlantic waveski bag in 2008 to protect and store my Neutron. The Atlantic bag is coffin style, with a two way zip around the rear end which unzips around two thirds of the length of the bag on each side. There is a nice amount of padding all around and the bag is lined in a shiny waterproof material. Clip on shoulder strap and small hand carrying handles on one side. Webbing tie down points at front and rear. It has served me well and the back-loading design makes it easy to load a boat straight into the back of a car into the bag.

I have just bought a Canyon Gear bag, which unzips completely down one side so the bag can be opened flat. The material is similar on both bags. There is a wax / fin pouch on the inside and a very nice feature is that there are velcro sealed panels inside the bag allowing you to add or remove padding. Two long adjustable webbing shoulder / carrying handles on the zip side, and a small webbing handle at each corner which is also a very nice feature.These bags are custom made and can be embroidered with owners details.

photos are on my blog site @

http://spindryft.wordpress.com/2011/12/ ... boat-bags/

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke » Thu May 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Can this be moved to the surf forum? Thanks