One Man / Bivvy tents^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Ceegee

One Man / Bivvy tents^

Post by Ceegee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:23 pm

I've landed a job which requires several days at 3,000m solo in the Lesotho mountains and need a lightweight shelter (<1kg). Just to sleep in, weather is good, maybe a little frost at night and I need to fold sticks quickly and travel light overland.

Client is paying (but musn't go daft) and I get to keep it afterwards for single overnight kayak trips, isolated skerries etc. where my 2 man is not worth the effort to pack/put up.

Any suggestions (make, type) and suppliers (UK online shops) most welcome.

Thanks, Steve
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Summit to Sea

Re: One Man / Bivvy tents

Post by Summit to Sea » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Steve,

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail ... lyCreekUL1

We don't stock these yet, but intend to. They seem like they would meet your needs?

Thanks,
Pete

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks Pete, I was thinking about something along these lines. Terra-Nova Saturn or Jupiter. Anyone got experience of them?

Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Ceegee wrote:I've landed a job which requires several days at 3,000m solo in the Lesotho mountains and need a lightweight shelter (<1kg). Just to sleep in, weather is good, maybe a little frost at night and I need to fold sticks quickly and travel light overland.

Client is paying (but musn't go daft) and I get to keep it afterwards for single overnight kayak trips, isolated skerries etc. where my 2 man is not worth the effort to pack/put up.

Any suggestions (make, type) and suppliers (UK online shops) most welcome.

Thanks, Steve

Add a sleeping bag = Job Done :) Get their Titanium pegs too, excellent peice of kit.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Lazer Comp tent weighs less than some bivvi bag and is WAY more comfortable to live in.

tg

Post by tg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi Ceegee,

I use a TN Jupiter. I thought about the Saturn but approached these b.bags from the bivvy side of the argument rather than the lightweight camping side, if you know what I mean. The J. has measured up very well. I've discarded the poles and pegs and would'nt advise using it as a tent on a campsite (I wriggle about quite a lot any hoo). Mine is green and in the dark I just dissapear. Spent a few nights bimbling aound Scotland Summer 2010, with the J and the car. L.Morar, Arisaig, Ennard Bay; I had a base fairly central in the Highlands.

I am very happy with the bag and it hasn't let me down once. Including, apart from 'commando' camping, an impromptu island overnight late last year; November I think. All the water dissapeared and myself and another paddler had to traipse through the mud.

I've had a couple of condensation situations but more to do with other circumstances than any fault of the bag. Mesh door is good especially when tested up in Scotia.

Not tested at any kind of altitude. I have'nt been high for years!

Tim

Edit; J now entering 3rd Winter with no signs of wear.
"I sink therfore I am".

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Ceegee wrote:Image
I have one. It's great.

Have found that Goretex bivvy bags are a bit excessive in tropical places, though - tend to wake up in the jungle with the mesh undone and both arms stretched out - and an increased chance of malaria...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

tg

Post by tg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 pm

As the TN Laser (Comp) has been mentioned I'll say something about that too ..

I have a Laser Space 2 which is my base tent. Whilst obviously larger than the Comp. I can say the build quality and fabrics are very good. Mine stood up to being sand blasted for nearly a week of bF5s (and +). There was an area of cloth holed and some stitching came loose, all now repaired.

The Laser is lightweight, but sometimes you can't find a pitch, there have been times (recently) where I wished for more groundsheets. The Jupiter is tougher, but lower pole height means not so much luxury. Also I always figure a decent Gtex b.bag can slip over your s.bag inside a tent, should the need arise.

T
"I sink therfore I am".

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks everyone for all the input. Tims' comments and Mark's tropical description clinched it ;-) (no danger of overheating at 3000m , even though it IS Africa)

Got the Saturn because of the bit of extra space and second hoop. Bit heavier at 1.1kg I know.

Terra Nova have a 6-8 week wait time but got ex stock from http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk and a £50 discount to boot!

Thanks, Steve
Cheers,
Steve C. G.