New Plastic P+H Capella

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
richard2

New Plastic P+H Capella

Post by richard2 »

Has anyone seen or tried the new plastic Capella yet? As far as I can tell they have moved from the core light construction to a single layer of plastic, the result being a rrp of £899 rather than £1250? Im looking to get a 166, and have been offered a new one of the old model for £999. My question is, do I go for that or save some pennies and get the new model? Will there be any significant loss in performance?
Many thanks, Richard

MartinG

Re: New Plastic P+H Capella

Post by MartinG »

I've not seen it but if the construction is as per the single layer Easky then there is a difference in the amount of flex. I've paddled the Easkys and they are quite flexible compared to the triple layer Scorpio I've paddled. You can push the hull or deck in on the Easky with your hand, much harder on the triple layer boats. You can also feel some waves flexing the hull as you go over them, again less so on the triple layered ones. You want your paddling to move the boat not flex it.

You might want to assess the skeg as there have been issues with the Capella skegs, never had a problem with my Scorpio though.

richard2

Re: New Plastic P+H Capella

Post by richard2 »

Thanks for your reply Martin, sounds like they have made the change to make it more competative price wise with a potential loss in performance.
My dad has jumped in and ordered one of the older style triple layer ones so hopfully the new ones dont turn out to be better!