Deck Bags - advice please^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ding dong

Deck Bags - advice please^

Post by ding dong » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a deck bag for my sea kayak, I've looked at the Overboard Deck Bag and the Watershed Aleutian Deck Bag. Has anyone any feedback on these 2? Is there much difference except price and a bottle holder? any other suggestions???

All help appreciated :-)

garya

Re: Deck Bags - advice please

Post by garya » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:35 pm

I use an NRS Big haul.

Right size for me, can fit a couple of flares and munchies real easy as well as a waterproof camera.

The zips are easy and less fiddly to use when it is rough and the meash means it will self drain really fast. The see through mesh helps me locate and get stuff easily too. The price wasn't bad so it may be another option worth looking at.

Here is a short video on the range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77e6kb1ElXA

Gary A

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:57 pm

May I council caution as regards the size of the thing? A big bag ends up getting in the way, and can catch the blade, especially if you've added pumps and things to the sides. I've used the Seals peaked deck bag (see the Almanac / reviews) and also the Northwater version (link's to Brookbank).

There's not a lot between them - I personally prefer the N/water one as I like the mesh pockets in the side. Neither is waterproof but even a w/proof bag is going to get wet inside as you put wet hands into it. Mike.

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm

The PakPod is double-purpose, a deck bag and paddle float.
http://www.pakboats.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=174
Not in Oxford any more...

steveT

Post by steveT » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:56 pm

I can second the opinion of the northwater deckbag. I too was hunting around for a decent deck bag and after seeing a few in the flesh, the overboard deck bag seemed awful bulky and awkward looking. After a few trips with the northwater deckbag I feel that anything bigger would present a problem with paddling. Just my opinion though, and one from having first hand experience :)

Dave28

Post by Dave28 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:01 pm

I bought a £2 bum bag on the market (well actually I stole one that my wife had bought) and it works a treat.

sleepybubble

Post by sleepybubble » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:18 pm

Dave28 wrote:I bought a £2 bum bag on the market (well actually I stole one that my wife had bought) and it works a treat.

On the basis of seeing Dave mention this before I now use a 10l Lowe Apline bumbag that I had in the back of a cupboard on the odd occasion that I want a deck bag. Its ideal.

Mark

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I can third the opinion of the northwater deckbag.

Kate D

Post by Kate D » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Here's my deck bag. Like lots of my kit, it's a homemade botch-it job. It started life as a 10l rucksack with drinks bladder, £10 from Tesco. With less than 5 minutes work it is a deck bag. It's narrow so there's no chance of catching my blades on it when I paddle. Like others, I would caution against too big a deck bag. How much kit do you need on your deck anyway? Now that I have a boat with a sweetie hatch I don't use a deck bag anyway.

ding dong

Post by ding dong » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Cheers, thanks for help

Mark

Paul Barrett

Post by Paul Barrett » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:48 pm

I used an overboard deck bag on a recent month long expedition and could not fault it . (never tried anything else) The best bit was it came in handy as a shopping bag with shoulder strap when on a long walk to re supply!

Great value and would buy again

Paul

immunogirl

Post by immunogirl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:36 pm

I avoid deck bags - I've never found one that I don't hit with my paddle. If you have a vertical stroke with an entry close to the deck, it's a problem. I usually just had my gps, radio, and a bag with my cell phone on the front deck. Pelican case with the dslr tied as far forward as possible that I can still reach it to remove the camera if I am going to be taking pics.