Jim's new Taran^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

Jim's new Taran^

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Douglas :o)

PS it goes without saying that not one of these photographs was taken with one of the latest generation of waterproof cameras.

The Shiner

Re: Jim's new Taran

Post by The Shiner » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Nice!

Oarsome

Post by Oarsome » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Looking good! Is the flames a sticker or part of the gelcoat job?

PSK

Post by PSK » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:19 pm

It's nice to see Jim enjoying his new boat in more pleasing conditions.

A slightly newer cag too?

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:57 pm

That is one very beautiful boat, fantastic work on the gelcoat. Just out of interest, where were the pics taken?
Peter

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Hello Peter just 23 miles from your front door!

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Douglas Wilcox wrote:Hello Peter just 23 miles from your front door!

Thanks Douglas,
Got it now....thats what comes of having lived abroad for a while. It was the apparent proximity of the mountains that threw me a bit, that and the fact I think its been 15+ years since I last paddled there, an omission that will soon be rectified.
Peter

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:18 am

Oarsome wrote:Looking good! Is the flames a sticker or part of the gelcoat job?
All part of the gelcoat - amazingly done by Mike at Rockpool. The fade effect is against the mould so he wouldn't have been able to see it when he did it, he has also added red glitter in the red areas (before either colour, so again excellent skill required to get it right). The result is fantastic and I'm pleased to say that when the sun comes out (only took a week!) the glitter effect makes the flames sparkle like they are alive. I'm not quite sure if this comes across in the photos or if that is water droplets sparkling, I think I have one or 2 that actually show the sparkles in red so no mistaking which are which.

Every time I take it our I see a new angle from which it looks even better!

If you only ever buy one new boat, make sure you get one that looks as good as this :-)

Oarsome

Post by Oarsome » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:07 am

Jim wrote:
All part of the gelcoat - amazingly done by Mike at Rockpool. The fade effect is against the mould so he wouldn't have been able to see it when he did it, he has also added red glitter in the red areas (before either colour, so again excellent skill required to get it right). The result is fantastic and I'm pleased to say that when the sun comes out (only took a week!) the glitter effect makes the flames sparkle like they are alive. I'm not quite sure if this comes across in the photos or if that is water droplets sparkling, I think I have one or 2 that actually show the sparkles in red so no mistaking which are which.

Every time I take it our I see a new angle from which it looks even better!

If you only ever buy one new boat, make sure you get one that looks as good as this :-)
That's bloody impressive! My hat of to Mike for an excellent job done :-)

My boat is already ordered, and I don't think they have the skills needed to do something as great as that. I have to make do with an all-black boat (my choice, standard is white with contrast colours).

Anyway, it really is an impressive job he did there!

Edit: Btw, what's that black tape on the stem? Black reflective tape, or just duct tape? And if duct tape, what's it for?

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:42 am

Oarsome wrote:what's that black tape on the stem?
If I'm not mistaken, it's holding on a kevlar strip to protect the bow from damage.
These are common on downriver race boats (which JW, the Taran's designer, has paddled extensively). I saw the same of Jeff Allen and Harry Whelan's Tarans, on their round Ireland record - but it puzzled me, as they were going for speed, and we always used to take the protectors off for races.

Chris

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:49 am

Chris Bolton wrote:
Oarsome wrote:what's that black tape on the stem?
If I'm not mistaken, it's holding on a kevlar strip to protect the bow from damage.
These are common on downriver race boats (which JW, the Taran's designer, has paddled extensively). I saw the same of Jeff Allen and Harry Whelan's Tarans, on their round Ireland record - but it puzzled me, as they were going for speed, and we always used to take the protectors off for races.

Chris
Yep, it's securing a rock guard as used in white water race training. I could probably have spent a bit more time and not partly covered the starfish.

For touring in sea kayaks, it is only needed when you decide you want/need to land on a rocky/bouldery/pebble beach, but since fitting it at sea when you have identified that you want to land at such a spot isn't really an option, it is easier just to fit it before you set off. I guess the guys figured that they needed their boats too much to risk dinking the bow through a moments in-attention whilst landing.

In this case Bute has lovely sandy beaches (as does most of the Clyde, in case people are looking for tips abnout easy beaches...) but as it happened we decided to meet Tony and Gavin who were circumnavigating at the weekend and they had chosen to stop on a stony beach for lunch rather than add a couple of km diversion into the bay to land on sand. On the way back we also decided to land again and paddled past a relatively easy beach looking for a smaller sandy landing at low tide, unfortunately the tide was still a little high so we landed on (a different) pebble beach next to some lava instead - that brought back some memories Chris!

Tony's new Cetus with it's all glitter deck is another impressive boat in the sunshine! He got quite a way out before I remembered to use my camera...

Oarsome

Post by Oarsome » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Okay, stupid question, then:

How do you fit such a thing "underway" to land on a pebble beach? And how big/thick etc. are such rockguard? I mean, I'm contemplating some 3M product (see-through) to fit to the front and partially underneath the stem to protect a little bit (no surf landings on to rock if I can help it, though).

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Oarsome wrote:Okay, stupid question, then:

How do you fit such a thing "underway" to land on a pebble beach? And how big/thick etc. are such rockguard? I mean, I'm contemplating some 3M product (see-through) to fit to the front and partially underneath the stem to protect a little bit (no surf landings on to rock if I can help it, though).
If you have a friend it might be possible under way, but you need good conditions to dry the hull off long enough to make the tape stick. I was really suggesting that it isn't really feasible.

The guard in question looks like it is made from a piece of 1" kevlar tape and extends underneath just enough to protect the corner of the forefoot (most sea kayaks sweep up gradually from further aft so have no corner to hit).

Try searching the forum for 'keel strip' a lot of sea kayakers fit them over the full length to protect the keel and one recent discussion focussed around a self adhesive solution (normally glass tape and polyester resin/gelcoat are used) which might interest you.

johnb

Post by johnb » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:56 pm

The tape ruins the colour scheme lines!.... let vanity rule over practicallity and remove it.

Oarsome

Post by Oarsome » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Jim wrote:
Oarsome wrote:Okay, stupid question, then:

If you have a friend it might be possible under way, but you need good conditions to dry the hull off long enough to make the tape stick. I was really suggesting that it isn't really feasible.

The guard in question looks like it is made from a piece of 1" kevlar tape and extends underneath just enough to protect the corner of the forefoot (most sea kayaks sweep up gradually from further aft so have no corner to hit).

Try searching the forum for 'keel strip' a lot of sea kayakers fit them over the full length to protect the keel and one recent discussion focussed around a self adhesive solution (normally glass tape and polyester resin/gelcoat are used) which might interest you.
Thanks a bunch, that explains a lot. I was considering using something like this:
http://marinestore.co.uk/YWTYPEA.html

On one of these (mine won't be that colour, though):

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... G_6836.jpg

The problem, of course, is that it is a compund curve - at least at the corner - so it would propably have to be narrowed down a bit to fit the stem. Another solution, seeing that my boat will be black, is to tape some black reflective tape at the front part, doing double duty in big waves and on a sandy/pebbly beach.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:10 pm

Oarsome

Post by Oarsome » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Jim wrote:Keeleazy as linked in this thread:

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... keel+strip
Super, thanks!

And sorry for hijacking the thread, it wasn't my intention.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Very pretty! Are the hatches big enough Jim?

PSK

Post by PSK » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it's holding on a kevlar strip to protect the bow from damage.These are common on downriver race boats... I saw the same of Jeff Allen and Harry Whelan's Tarans, on their round Ireland record - but it puzzled me, as they were going for speed, and we always used to take the protectors off for races.
Yes of course Chris you spotted the rock guard - I didn't want Jim to scratch his new front end!

The one on Jim's boat was just made with 1" tape, as on Jeff & Harry's boats - a combination of 1" and 2" tape was used - I know how hard Jeff can be on his boats! The 2" will take big knocks but the 1" is for 'lesser dings'.

As to impact on speed; I heard this many times during my racing days (as I regularly raced with them on). So I went out and time-trialled them. My results (averaged) were 4 seconds slower over 10 minutes on flat water, - not that signifcant surely and not as detrimental as a deformed bow I thought!

JW

Curly67

Post by Curly67 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 pm

It looks fantastic Jim! So much better than the Demo you had at Ravenglass.
I wish I had been more adventurous with the paint on mine!

Dave (The guy you let paddle the Demo)
Rockpool Taran

P&H Delphin 150

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:33 am

Curly67 wrote:It looks fantastic Jim! So much better than the Demo you had at Ravenglass.
I wish I had been more adventurous with the paint on mine!

Dave (The guy you let paddle the Demo)
Cheers Dave, I had a feeling you were hooked before you had even sat in it!
So what colour do you go for?
I'll tell you something, Richards boat (the demo) somehow looks much bigger because it's all white - even sat side by side so you can see they are the same, it still creates an illusion of being bigger!

Mike - yes the hatches are big enough!

I'm not sure of the diameter of the front hatch, it seems larger than my Sea King's VCP hatches but the key thing is that the distance between the deck and the keel is much greater so that relatively long firm dry bags (did I skirt around the innuendo there?), for example a tent complete with poles or a well stuffed sleeping bag can be put in at an angle and slid forward so they go in ready packed. In the sea king things like the tent poles and thermarest spars would go in loose, but if attached to the larger bundle there wasn't enough space to angle it and slide it all the way in - my good sleeping bag, as you may have read before, had to be stuffed into the dry bag which was already at least half loaded into the hatch, now it it just drops in like the tent etc.

The rear day hatch I think is the same size and quite capable of taking day kit. The rear hatch is an oval one, I realised afterwards that for day tripping with my trolley I probably only need to take one wheel off to get it in the rear compartment.

The only small hatch is the front day hatch which leads to a compartment between the knees. The hatch and compartment are a good size and shape to fit 2 standard cycle drinks bottles along with sundries such as a glass case and snacking stuff. Much better than the pocket on my Camelback and more convenient in a lot of ways because it gets the stuff off the deck but still handy.

There is plenty of space behind the seat to fit an electric pump (when my finances recover - this month is a big one so some aspects have had to go on hold), in fact Rockpool do offer one there but having developed my system to a level I am really pleased with I thought I would fit my own using a reed switch rather than the pneumatic switch Rockpool fit.

It really is well provisioned for long days on the water and multi-day trips. The only compromise I can see is that there isn't much space for navigation items - the spray deck has loops to tie a map case but I have got used to using an exceptionally large map case on the vast real estate provided by the ocean cockpit, the Taran is probably no less well appointed than most other modern kayaks :-)

Fenn123

Post by Fenn123 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:29 am

Looks very nice Jim!

MissBubbles

Post by MissBubbles » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Jim

Its amazing ......I am so jealous its all glittery and shiny and lovely ......... I think I am also in shock ... you've got a new boat :-)

Looking forward to seeing her on the water and dare I say it helping carry her up some beach on skye no doubt too -

Bubbles

PS. Now either need a new boat or a way of glittering up my boat !

Oarsome

Post by Oarsome » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:10 pm

MissBubbles wrote:Jim

Its amazing ......I am so jealous its all glittery and shiny and lovely ......... I think I am also in shock ... you've got a new boat :-)

Looking forward to seeing her on the water and dare I say it helping carry her up some beach on skye no doubt too -

Bubbles

LOL, I'm usually not into all sorts of glitter or glamour, least of all flames. But this simply looks awesome, for want of a less teenagey word.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:18 pm

MissBubbles wrote:Jim

Bubbles

Cheers Bubbles, it's a lot lighter than my old boat so should be easier to carry (but it does have more space for stuff).

I don't think anyone should rush into getting a new boat (it's taken me long enough), but it is the best way to get glitter.
I can't think of anything that is very similar to your Orion which you seem to get on so well with, it could be a major change....

You can always have fun trying boats, just be careful how many you like!

Jim
Last edited by Jim on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curly67

Post by Curly67 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Jim

I went for an all Black Hull covered in Alfa Jewels. Looks drab on a dull day but awesome when the sun shines!
Rockpool Taran

P&H Delphin 150

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Curly67 wrote:Jim

I went for an all Black Hull covered in Alfa Jewels. Looks drab on a dull day but awesome when the sun shines!
Ah, I think I may have had a conversation with either Mike or John about a kayak angler who had bought a black Taran and wondered if it was you.

Very nice!

Jim

Graham T

Post by Graham T » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Jim,

I have been away from kayaking for 18 months or so (work on house) previously under "uksailor" I doubt you can imagine both my surprise and pleasure to come back and find you in such a superb kayak.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Stunning! ( I painted a skateboard with a similar colour scheme, many. . . . many years ago. I still have it! )

I've wondered several times HOW do you control the different colours of gel-coat in the mould? How do they stop the yellow bit bleeding into the blue bit and set the yellow lettering and starfish into the clear hull?

. . . Ben

David A

Post by David A » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Jim, your Taran, looks absolutely fantastic. I was up at Oban at the weekend and managed to see it before the Kerrera Race began. It looks good in the photos, but it looks even more stunning when seen in the flesh, or should that be, seen in the gel coat.
Did you set the race on fire.

David A.