Ben Alder from Loch Ericht

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Zoe Newsam

Ben Alder from Loch Ericht

Post by Zoe Newsam »

Hello all (and long time no see to some of you!)

I'm planning a wee trip by sea kayak along Loch Ericht, with a couple of nights at Ben Alder Cottage to do the Ben Alder munros. I'll have a couple of beginner paddlers with me. Anyone got any tips on launch spots/ camping near the NE end of the loch (when we arrive late on a Friday night)/ parking etc?

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers,
Zoe

steve crofts

Re: Ben Alder from Loch Ericht

Post by steve crofts »

If you turn left just before the petrol station in Dalwhinnie there is a lane that takes you down to a large area close to the railway arch.I have parked there in the past a few times
and carried my boat to the loch which is about 200 yards.There is/was a locked gate owned by the estate which you need to carry boats over,trolley useful.
I have never camped near the NE end of the loch,the first good campsite I recall is about 3k past Ben Alder Lodge on the same side,about 10k in total from Dalwhinnie.

regards

Steve

Richard Moss

Post by Richard Moss »

There's a bit of discussion on Song of the Paddle forum here

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Zoe Newsam wrote:with a couple of nights at Ben Alder Cottage to do the Ben Alder munros
That's a fine plan. Fifty years ago, as a young teenager, I soloed to the summit of Ben Alder on snow and ice at Easter from near the cottage, with no crampons, ice axe, weatherproof clothing, or, indeed, any experience of winter climbing. I kicked steps in the snow with my ex-army boots, and had an O.S map and a compass for company. I had left the suburbs of south London for a first trip north, leaving the train at Rannoch station. I saw deer for the first time, while I was returning east and clockwise from the summit to the cottage, where my tent was pitched on the snow. It was one of the most magical days of my life. I hope you have a great time.
Nick

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam »

What a wonderful memory Nick! Thanks for sharing that- fantastic :0)

Cheers for the tips, folks- keep 'em coming.
Zoe Newsam
Sea Kayak Guide & Mountain Leader