Smart Phones

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Big Ade

Smart Phones

Post by Big Ade » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Well, I was offered an upgrade so I thought why not, internet, weather, a compass, a handy gps locator, the ability to make calls and be mildly splashproof.
It seems quite inteligent for an andriod, but what is really doing my nut in is the battery life.
It seems to need re-charging as often as I need beer. Occasionally more often.
What do techie paddlers use to increase the battery life in these gadgets?

Voodoo

Re: Smart Phones

Post by Voodoo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Reduce brightness off screen
Switch off the GPS other wise it runs in the back ground
switch off WIFI other wise it scans in the back ground,

I think its when these phones are new you play with them more and as a result use the battery quicker I whent from changing once a day to chanrging every few days doing the above but the biggest part is that I dont use the phone to "Play" with as much these days

In fact if you do an App search you will prob find an App that will tell you what you had better switch off ect.

Nigel
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:18 pm

I have one of these with my iphone 4. It more than doubles the use of my phone between charges under normal use and doesn't add much bulk to the size. Using the Navionics app I used to only get five hours of tracking, I can now get ten with this pack, provided I close all the other apps, sign out of facebook, twitter etc. I have had various smart phones over the past few years and have found that they all require charging after a days use. It is to be expected, most of them are more powerful than my mother's desktop!

Not sure if there's one available for an android but I'm sure a quick search will show that there must be.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Based on experience with Windows Mobile, I would expect that routinely turning off the backlight would save a lot of power, as well as minimising the amount of screen drawing and other processor-intensive work.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Buy a GPS, get a normal phone or waterproof one and ring your mates for the weather!!!!
Dave

Rockpool GT

JohnA

Post by JohnA » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:40 am

soundoftheseagull wrote:Buy a GPS, get a normal phone or waterproof one and ring your mates for the weather!!!!
And if the phone dies you still have your GPS, and should be able to call for a forecast on your VHF..............

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 am

Turning on Airplane Mode whilst out on the water will save energy as the phone will stop hunting for a signal.

budgester

Post by budgester » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:29 am

Use an app like tasker to manage the services that are turned on/off i.e. gps, wifi, bluetooth.

I use it to turn the GPS on when I run endomondo, and as soon as I come out of it, it turn the GPS off.

kevc

Post by kevc » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:56 am

Try here

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/il/products/xp4001/

Similar to what Mike uses, but rather than being phone specific, can charge many items, doubles the life of your smartphone

Kev

JulleG

Post by JulleG » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 pm

I've used one of these powermonkey products for a nunber of years and found it to be reliable. Flexibility in both charging and discharging is its biggest advantage. They also have some solar panel products but I haven't tried those.

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/pr ... powerchimp+/

Cheers
JulleG

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:22 pm

"Advanced Task Killer" has really increased the life of mine - a lot of apps won't close fully & will still be running in the background, I've set it to run every hour & kill apps that I haven't added to an "ignore" list.

Turn Wi-Fi & Bluetooth off, airplane mode is good when on the water, there are apps that will let you use your maps offline (Maverick is one) so you could use the GPS and that software without having data transfer - again saving battery life.

Chalky
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

Paddlesmacker

Post by Paddlesmacker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:39 pm

Chalky723 wrote:"Advanced Task Killer" has really increased the life of mine - a lot of apps won't close fully & will still be running in the background, I've set it to run every hour & kill apps that I haven't added to an "ignore" list.

Turn Wi-Fi & Bluetooth off, airplane mode is good when on the water, there are apps that will let you use your maps offline (Maverick is one) so you could use the GPS and that software without having data transfer - again saving battery life.

Chalky

This app works really well on my HTC Desire, I can get up to 5 days with it switched on. The battery lasted 2 days max before I installed it and that was manually turning off all uneeded services.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:26 am

Chalky723 wrote:"Advanced Task Killer" has really increased the life of mine - a lot of apps won't close fully & will still be running in the background, I've set it to run every hour
I fiddled but couldn't work it out - how do you do that please?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:28 am

Based on inspiration from this thread, I just bought one of these for my HTC Desire...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ss_product

Very useful, if it works as promised.

Anyone know of a way of keeping a laptop running dawn to dusk, without a plug socket?

;-)
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:51 am

Mark R wrote:
Chalky723 wrote:"Advanced Task Killer" has really increased the life of mine - a lot of apps won't close fully & will still be running in the background, I've set it to run every hour
I fiddled but couldn't work it out - how do you do that please?
Hi Mark,

If you go into "Settings" and then "Auto Kill Level" - change it from "Disabled" (I've got mine on "Safe"), then go into "Auto Kill Frequency" and select the interval....

Rgds,

C
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...