Broken Corryvrecken - anyone else had a problem?^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
active4seasons

Broken Corryvrecken - anyone else had a problem?^

Post by active4seasons » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm

I was paddling gently along Bamburgh beach just about to land having led a trip round the fantastic Farne Islands when suddenly my 2 piece Werner Corryvreckan came apart - I thought perhaps the button had been pressed in but turns out it had completely ruptured about 3mm from the joint at the slightly smaller diameter section with the angles marked on. The paddle is less than a year old as I purchased it at the Perth show last Oct.

My question is has this happened to anyone else as two of my clients have also had the same happen in the last year or so?

I keep the paddle stored in a padded bag in two halves so no damage has occured in the van as it were.

So far the customer service machine seems to be working ok but Interested to see if others have had problems? They refused to replace a blade on a Kallista a couple of years ago so I hope they dont try the same this time.

Thanks,

Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!

MYSSAK

Re: Broken Corryvrecken - anyone else had a problem?

Post by MYSSAK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Yes. This is my Shuna paddle, three months ago.
Try Anthony from http://www.systemxeurope.com/ he was really helpful and now I have new Ikelos.
Michal

coastal spirit

Post by coastal spirit » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:45 am

I know of one other case of the paddle just snapping, while the client was just paddling along, no stress or pressure and the paddle is under 1 year old. This was an Ikelos, I think and the joint was crumbly.

My paddle an Ikelos again under 1 year old has developed a lot of play on the joint, so I sent it back 4 weeks ago ...haven't heard anything yet, but not what id expect from a top end product.

The interesting thing was I never had a problem with my lendal, and liked the ease and shape of the shaft on the Werner. Ive since paddle with a Mitchel blade, which I also liked ... may be time to switch!
http://www.coastalspirit.com
xplore dream discover

gizmo

Post by gizmo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:18 am

Not wanting to tempt fate or anything but I've had a carbon shuna for about 3.5 years now and it's been great. It hasn't had an easy life and is still going strong and with no significant play at the joint. Keeping fingers crossed.
Paul
Paul

pby5a

Post by pby5a » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks for posting this! I was just about to get this paddle. That really shouldn't happen for just about the most expensive paddle on the market.
Onno

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:50 pm

pby5a wrote:Thanks for posting this! I was just about to get this paddle. That really shouldn't happen for just about the most expensive paddle on the market.
Not sure this means that all of their paddles are a problem I was just putting it out there to see - they are great paddles when they work!

Ollie

coastal spirit

Post by coastal spirit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:50 am

Followed up yesterday to see how it was going and they have replaced the paddle (mine was the one with excessive play in the joint), just need to collect!
http://www.coastalspirit.com
xplore dream discover

wideblueyonder

Post by wideblueyonder » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:14 am

My Corryvrecken is now 3 years old and going strong. No excessive play or issues with joint and continues to be a superb paddle.

Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:55 am

My Corry broke in the same place pictured in Michaels photo. I managed to repair it myself and it seems fine at the moment. It's interesting to read that people have had them for 2+ years and never had a problem. I also have a 4 year old Shuna that is bomb proof and takes a lot of abuse without issue. This older Shuna paddle does not have that reduced section on the loom where the feather increments are printed on. Have Werner possibly introduced a recent modification, ( in the past 18 months), that is causing these problems ? The two that I have seen broken both broke in this reduced diameter section and were both less than 12 months old.

Neil.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 am

I had EXACTLY the same problem about two weeks ago (see topic about Cornish Surf Advice). I have a picture almost identical to the one above. My Carbon Camano broke in exactly the same way and it was less than 12 months old. SystemX (the UK Werner distributor) were absolutely brilliant and I can't praise them highly enough. They replaced it without question and I now have a shiny new one. Apparently during the manufacturing process, the carbon can get bubbles in it which weakens it.

I didn't bother going back to the shop, I went direct to SystemX in Wokingham.

Seems its a common problem but with customer service like this it shouldn't put anyone off as the paddles are superb and (incidents aside) worth the money.

Mike

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 pm

MikeG wrote:Seems its a common problem but with customer service like this it shouldn't put anyone off as the paddles are superb and (incidents aside) worth the money.
Unless of course you are planning on relying on the paddles for your safety in solo paddling/ crossings etc...hmm.

Will make sure I always have the backup paddles close to hand this summer.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:02 am

Unless of course you are planning on relying on the paddles for your safety in solo paddling/ crossings etc...hmm.
Where's your sense of adventure Mark? Honestly... ;)

pby5a

Re: Broken Corryvrecken - anyone else had a problem?^

Post by pby5a » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:38 pm

To all with a broken shaft, any feedback yet?
Onno

briant

Post by briant » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Yes, my coryvrecken broke in exactly the place; the reduced diameter area of the spigot. I blamed myself initially as I am probably a bit harder on paddles than is good for them! I repaired it myself by machining a carbon spigot which was a snug fit inside the broken parts and fixing in place with 2 pack adhesive. It has also developed a lot of free play both rotational and axial on the spline and locking button, it's now under the deck elastics as a spare! Probably wouldn't buy another. Currently using a Lendal with padlok shaft and glass Knordkapp blades....a great paddle...bombproof... so far :-)

Paddle Lochaber

Post by Paddle Lochaber » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:01 pm

We had the exact same thing happen to a set of our Tybee paddles. I sent them to System X and they promptly sent me a new pair with out any fuss.

If I hadn't seen this thread I'd have probably just assumend that being centre paddles they had been abused somewhere along the way and would have tried to repair them myself.

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:17 pm

My paddle was replaced by system X too, sent via Desperate Measures. Seems ok at the moment.

Balgarvie

Post by Balgarvie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:16 pm

My foam core cypress broke in exactly the same place. Desperate measures produced a replacement within three days with absolutely no quibble and the "new" paddle so far seems fine.