J bar bracket replacement

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
tannys

J bar bracket replacement

Post by tannys » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:45 am

I have these J bars - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 97.c0.m619 and on the way up to Scotland last week in very strong wind (hitting the hull straight on) one of the brackets snapped, Luckily we were very close to Carlisle so after a semi bodged fix called in for some others but they don't seem quite as sturdy (the eckla ones)

Does anyone know if the thule brackets will fit these? I have emailed the company I got them off and the shop on ebay selling them but had no reply

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-853 ... -part.html
"Paddle solo, sleep tandem"

MikeB

Re: J bar bracket replacement

Post by MikeB » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Dont know the answer to the specific question myself.

What's the distance between the centres? Then perhaps someone with a Thule will measure their centres and you'll have your answer!

tannys

Post by tannys » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks mike,

Measurement are 4.5 inch long and 3.5cm wide, Height is about 1 inch, distance between the bolt holes in 9.5cm from centre of each hole

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Crikey - that doesnt look very substantial - - -

Give Roofbox a call - they may have the Thule part to hand or the tech specs?

Another thought - the old KCS cradles I have (no longer available), and the KariTek cradles (which are readily available) both use a substantial flat plate under the bar. The K/tek ones may be aluminum but the KCS ones are steel. Might be worth a call to K/tek? The centres on the KCS are only 6.5 - no idea what the K/tec ones are, but they could maybe make some up?

MartinG

Post by MartinG » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Kari-Tek standard ones are 5.5cm but I think they do a wider one for Aero bars. They asked about the roof bars when I bought mine. It's a thick aluminium plate.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:32 pm

tannys wrote:Thanks mike,

Measurement are 4.5 inch long and 3.5cm wide, Height is about 1 inch, distance between the bolt holes in 9.5cm from centre of each hole
You need a slap for that mixture of units! Almost as bad as buying timber in inch section sizes by the metre!

I have to admit I am wondering about the fancy pressed plate - people have been using uprights for years with a simple piece of flat bar as the lower part of the bracket, it means you need longer bolts which may scratch the sides of your bars a bit, but it is something that could easily be made up at home.

Also I thought the whole point with Aero bars was to use special T-nuts that fit in the slots rather than clamping around them - being aluminium I would expect them to crush more easily than the box section steel bars, and you don't want that!
When My boss lost a T-nut for his roof box he decided it needed to be some pretty high grade steel and searched around to find a suitable grade flat bar - I always thought it was a bit OTT since it will sit in an aluminium channel which will probably tear out before a mild steel T-nut but there you have it.

If you need something similar to the original and can't find a spare, try local fabricators or blacksmiths - it's not a difficult component to copy, although it will be tricky to copy exactly but unnecessary.

tannys

Post by tannys » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks for every ones replies, will give roofbox and karitek a call, the eckla ones have a flat plate underneath but they are even smaller and lighter than the above bracket

Jim my other half said exactly the same about my measurements - hands duly slapped ;-)

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Jim wrote: I have to admit I am wondering about the fancy pressed plate - people have been using uprights for years with a simple piece of flat bar as the lower part of the bracket, it means you need longer bolts which may scratch the sides of your bars a bit, but it is something that could easily be made up at home.
Longer bolts are certainly necessary with aero-bars - I found some stainless ones which did the job nicely when I transferred uprights to a/bars from a square set.

Also I thought the whole point with Aero bars was to use special T-nuts that fit in the slots rather than clamping around them - being aluminium I would expect them to crush more easily than the box section steel bars, and you don't want that!
When My boss lost a T-nut for his roof box he decided it needed to be some pretty high grade steel and searched around to find a suitable grade flat bar - I always thought it was a bit OTT since it will sit in an aluminium channel which will probably tear out before a mild steel T-nut but there you have it.
Not all a/bars have such a slot - the VW / Audi ones certainly dont. The biggest problem is of getting the flat section of the upright or cradle base to sit on the curve of the a/bar in such a way it can't slip if the base and plate aren't parallel. This is more of a problem if the vehicle roof slopes a bit and you want the uprights to be vertical relative to each other.

I'm not an a/bar fan - they look nice and that's about it.

tannys

Post by tannys » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Ours don't have the slots either, because his car is a company car replaced every 3 years we go for cheap bars as we know we will have to replace them again in 3 years.
The manufacturer has been in touch and is going to replace the bracket, just waiting for another email back from them as they say they have never had this problem

6950rpm

Post by 6950rpm » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:03 pm

For info, the holes on the metal bracket for the Thule Hullaport Pro are 105mm apart.

tannys

Post by tannys » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks!
The company replaced them with new J bars (no charge)