Arran^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Douglas Wilcox

Arran^

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 pm

John W

Re: Arran

Post by John W » Fri May 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Annoyingly nice. It seems months since we saw a calm day down this way...

JinjaCoo

Post by JinjaCoo » Fri May 27, 2011 11:23 pm

Looks great. Do you think these sail rigs could be adapted for canoe use? Just looking at it, I wonder if the mast could be fed in to a positioned pole so it was high enough for the bottom of the sail to clear the canoes gunnels. It would be good to have something that could be used on both a kayak and canoe.

JC

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat May 28, 2011 12:23 am

JinjaCoo wrote:Looks great. Do you think these sail rigs could be adapted for canoe use? Just looking at it, I wonder if the mast could be fed in to a positioned pole so it was high enough for the bottom of the sail to clear the canoes gunnels. It would be good to have something that could be used on both a kayak and canoe.

JC
I'm pretty sure it could be organised a couple of ways.

You could fit a longer pole for the mast and step it on the hull, but it wouldn't fold flat, on the other hand the UJ is quick release so only one extra operation and in my experience it's easy enough to move around in most canoes to do it.

You could bolt the UJ base plate to an existing thwart - the one just behind the front seat is probably perfectly positioned if paddling solo - for tandem the forestay/uphaul would need to pass through the middle of the bow paddler :-)

You could make up an extra thwart, or a clamp in thwart just to use when sailing.

For the latter 2 having the UJ at thwart level means you can fold the mast and sail flat as Douglas does. Also canoes have plenty of thwarts and other cross members (or lacing) to attach the stays and pulleys and cleats too without requiring much permanent outfitting. I have only sailed canoes with a spinnaker, but everything was just tied in to borrowed boats and worked pretty well.

I see Mick has a new sail design with 2 battens which hasn't made it to Karitek's website yet (probably none have been shipped yet) - so much choice!
I think I'll be taking a trip to Ayr in the next few weeks myself....

CharlieS

Post by CharlieS » Sat May 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Great series of blog posts. I'm planning to be there in July and this has whetted the appetite nicely.

One question: you didn't camp on the Eastern side but would it be possible? It looks more populated but I'm hoping we'd be able to.

Thank you for the photos.

Charlie

Bruce Jolliffe

Re: Arran^

Post by Bruce Jolliffe » Sat May 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Charlie, the first few photos look like they were taken on the eastern side, near Laggan Cottage. Its a good camping spot. There is also a good camping spot south of there where the burn from North Glen Sannox empties to the sea. There are lots of good camping spots on the eastern side.

sleepybubble

Post by sleepybubble » Sun May 29, 2011 7:08 pm

sea kayaks, chips, Beer, sails, scenery.... yadda yadda.... But.... you caught a shot of an otter now that is cool. Damn things always swim away as soon as I go for the camara. Good stuff.

Mark

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon May 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks everyone!

Mark, with your moniker I thought you would have sussed how to take photos of otters. You will never be able to sneak up on one with its eyes open. This one was fast asleep!

Douglas :o)

JP9

Post by JP9 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi Douglas,
Great photos as usual. Do you have any close photo of the lighthouse on Pladda ? I am just curious as we camped facing the island in Kildonan a few years back and wished we had some kayaks.
Thanks for sharing your photos with us.
Regards
JP

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Thank you JP, Pladda lighthouse!

Douglas :o)

JP9

Post by JP9 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:10 am

Thanks Douglas for the photos.