Kayaking oportunities - Rosmuck, Galway, Ireland

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
dpround

Kayaking oportunities - Rosmuck, Galway, Ireland

Post by dpround » Thu May 05, 2011 12:43 pm

I have booked a holiday cottage in Rhosmuck, Galway. I plan to take the kayaks of course. Does anyone know the area? It looks like a sea kayaker's paradise; well mine anyway. Lots of sheltered shore to explore.The only snag I can see is that the tides could be exciting. Are there any kayaking guidebooks that cover the area?

Many thanks

David

steddyjames

Re: Kayaking oportunities - Rosmuck, Galway, Ireland

Post by steddyjames » Thu May 05, 2011 1:44 pm

There are endless sea kayaking opportunities in Co Galway (there are also endless places called Rosmuc). There is anything from trips out to the arran islands to sheltered bays to everything in between.

Tides, there are up to 5M tides and the associated currents that go with it. This can cause fairly strong currents in some areas. I would recommend hooking up with Ali Donald at Saoirse Na Mara for advice or even maybe a led trip. He runs a sea kayaking company in that area and knows his stuff.

Oileain is a guidebook to the islands of Ireland so might be worth taking a look for some advice. I think you can download the text from the web.

If you want rivers there is the Bundorca, Bulisce, Erriff depending on your tastes. Playspots there is Clifden hole and Oranmore hole, both tidal. Also don't miss out on the hillwalking and mountain biking.

dpround

Post by dpround » Thu May 05, 2011 3:46 pm

There only seems to be one place called Rosmuck, even though there are plenty called Rosmuc ;)

I have had a look at Oileain, which gives some information, but not the level of detail I am used to from our excellent Pesda guide books. It looks like care will be required with the tides in the area though. Inisheltia and Clynagh are mentioned in the area. Thanks for the tip.

I am looking for very tame waters really, especially when out with the wife and kids.

Thanks for recommending Ali Donald. I'll email him later on.

I will definitely pack the walking boots, but there is no way that five bikes will go on as well as the kayaks.. :(

David

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Thu May 05, 2011 6:34 pm

If you want tame but beautiful paddling go to Killary Harbour, starting somewhere near Lenane. No worry at all about swell or exposure but miles of fantastic paddling with hills all around. It's on the border between Mayo and Galway and a couple of good pubs in the village.

There are no guidebooks for Irish sea kayaking such as there are in the UK, just a map, tide times, charts and a bit of planning.

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Thu May 05, 2011 9:37 pm

The Irish Sea Kayaking Association are holding a meet on 8,9,10 June at Streamstown, just up the road near Clifton, which may be of interest.

details here
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Chris McDaid

Post by Chris McDaid » Sun May 08, 2011 8:03 pm

I'll second Killary as a tame but brilliant paddle, however IMHO Clew Bay is more interesting and just as tame

Cheers
NDK Explorer/Dagger Stratos