Henderson Footpumps spares & repair.^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Ceegee

Henderson Footpumps spares & repair.^

Post by Ceegee » Mon May 02, 2011 12:55 am

I'm sure you all know this one:

My question is, how does it get to be a foot pump? All I can find on the web (eg. at whalepumps.com, various chandlers' online stores) is the standard hand-operated versions with a lever arm action (like the old deck-mounted chimp pumps).

Somebody, somewhere in fabricating a plywood footplate and fitting a stainless-steel helical spring inside the diaphram to turn it into a kayak foot-pump. It doesn't appear to be Henderson/Whale modification per their catalogue - is it an aftermarket thing?

The reason I ask is I've broken the spring, and don't fancy forking out another £100+ for a complete unit. Also, there are far cheaper (between £25-50) hand-operated branded/generic versions on the market (cheaper for for the diaphrams & spares too) so it's just a case of removing the handle (drift out the pin) and installing a spring and making a foot plate. Easy!

EDIT: sorry, my question - where on earth do I get a spare spring???

ImageImage
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

MikeB

Re: Henderson Footpumps spares & repair.

Post by MikeB » Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 pm

It isn't a conversion - it's a stand-alone, kayaking foot pump - Valley may be able to help - or point you in the right direction. Mike.

mick m

Post by mick m » Mon May 02, 2011 11:02 pm

lot of us hear in OZ yous the same tipe of arangment, we simpaly cut of the top of the handel to make it fit into the boat, then run a loop of shock cord back to the underside of the deck , this pulls the belllows out to charg the pump , most of us go for the cheep chines copies , and replace the handel pins with stanles ones , the hole pump is generaly cheper than a henderson service kit ! and lasts just as long ,

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Tue May 03, 2011 11:45 am

No sure about that one Mike, on the one I have you can see where the handle lugs have been (very neatly) cut and sanded off. My take is that "someone" is taking the standard pump, removing the handle, installing a coil spring behind the diaphram and fitting a wooden footplate to the top. Barring getting hands on a suitable s/steel spring the rest is an easy 5 minute job and you could use a £25 generic pump as a base.

Nowhere on the manufacturers website(s) (e.g. Whale/Henderson/Chimp) can I find the actual FOOT-pump as sold by Knoydart, Brookbank etc.

@ Mick M - couldn't agree more, I've seen this Aussie mod. The spares alone for the Henderson are crippling (~£45-odd for the diaphram!). My only concern is entanglement on the bungee.

An electric (Rule etc.) is cheaper, but I have an aversion to complex systems in emergency situations! For me a pump is about emptying the boat under seriously hazardous conditions (in a normal TX or self-rescue I can get all but ~5 litres out on the "flip") and not about keeping my arse dry. It's rather about having to do a re-entry & roll and keeping stable by bracing/schulling whilst getting the water out quickly and a manual foot pump IMO is the belt and braces system.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue May 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Chances are the spring is probably pretty well off the shelf, maybe measure it up and see what you can find.
A lot of dinghy mainsheet blocks are supported by springs these days (they just make it stand up rather than flopping down and tangling the sheet), I have a notion you can get spare springs in chandlers and I think they would be about the right sort of size.

I agree with your point about Henderson spares, I'm sure I saw a rebuild kit for the chimp once selling for £60 (diaphragm and..??? pins? bolts?) - luckily the diaphragms seem to last forever because it is cheaper to fit a new electric pump (even with fancy waterproof battery boxes and glands) than repair one of the them. I like to have my chimp as a backup too. Not sure what I'll do in the new boat, just rely on electric probably.

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Tue May 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Jim wrote:Chances are the spring is probably pretty well off the shelf, maybe measure it up and see what you can find.
A lot of dinghy mainsheet blocks are supported by springs these days
Spot-on Jim, thanks, found one straight away, exactly the use you described (on the s/steel bolts link provided by another poster).

Cheers,
Steve C. G.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue May 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Ceegee wrote:No sure about that one Mike, on the one I have you can see where the handle lugs have been (very neatly) cut and sanded off. My take is that "someone" is taking the standard pump, removing the handle, installing a coil spring behind the diaphram and fitting a wooden footplate to the top. Barring getting hands on a suitable s/steel spring the rest is an easy 5 minute job and you could use a £25 generic pump as a base.

Nowhere on the manufacturers website(s) (e.g. Whale/Henderson/Chimp) can I find the actual FOOT-pump as sold by Knoydart, Brookbank etc.
Now that you mention it, I stand corrected - -

mick m

Post by mick m » Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Good morning,
this thread made me think about the pumps in my boats, so I cheked them over for eny need of mantanance.
all but one are OK the one thats not has a stufed diafram, and its cheper to get a new pump , which is on its way.
looking at the pump , if your plasing a spring into one, you dont need to cut of the handel , just dont install the handel/hing part of the pump and bolt your wood plate direct to the diafram , id youse a pice og plastic , like a cheep cuting bord insted of wood.

With the method I yous with the retern shock cord, entrapment has never been an isue, its almost imposabel to feel the cord , litelone get tangeld in it .

thers also a good riteup on an alternative hear http://nadgee.blogspot.com/ scrole down to near the botom.
I also think Rule 500 electric pumps are good to, if you can sort out swiches ther efortles, and dont bother with a fuse , iv enstalled heeps of them over the last 3 years and had no problems

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 04, 2011 1:37 am

Ceegee wrote:
Jim wrote:Chances are the spring is probably pretty well off the shelf, maybe measure it up and see what you can find.
A lot of dinghy mainsheet blocks are supported by springs these days
Spot-on Jim, thanks, found one straight away, exactly the use you described (on the s/steel bolts link provided by another poster).

Fantastic - given that I've never actually seen the spring in a footpump, and my dinghy blocks are all non-sprung and very old :-)