HD camcorders (waterproof)^

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
cheekychimp

HD camcorders (waterproof)^

Post by cheekychimp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Hello,

I'm heading off on a around wales kayak challenge in Sept with two others. I would really liek to film the highs and lows of the trip and wondered if anyone out there had any experience with and recommendations for HD camcorders/ head cams. I've looked at GoPro and HD contour so far which look good. Also has anyone had experience of using suction mounts to stick the camera on the kayak..if so where did you get them from and how much were they?

Hope someone can help. Cheers

cheekychimp

Douglas Wilcox

Re: HD camcorders (waterproof)

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Hello Chimp, this is a GOPro suction mount with a home made extender.

Douglas

cheekychimp

Post by cheekychimp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Hello Douglas,

Thanks for that, it looks great. Do you have any clips on youtube or anything?

Cheekychimp

John N

Post by John N » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 am

These people may be able to help. http://www.fastfilms.co.uk/index.php. The writer of SOLENT SEA KAYAKING blog likes them. Seehttp://solentseakayaking.co.uk/2009/06/ ... /#comments for a short video. I use a PENTAX W60 (great in bright light) on a small gorrillapod which I cannot reccomend as it sits to close to the deck filling up the picture with boat. The gorillapod itself is O.K. so a larger one might fit your needs.

snapper

Post by snapper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:37 am

I use the Oregon Scientific ATC9K. It's HD, tough (has hit the beach upside down a few times), waterproof and compact. I also have the GPS module in it. I made a suction mount for it yesterday and am now going to test it out, will get some pics.
Chatham 17-Scupper Pro-RRRapido
2011 Launches 102

Kayak Essentials DVD

Post by Kayak Essentials DVD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:07 am

The Sanyo CA100 is a great Full HD camcorder for hand held use. It also takes 14MP photos.

cheekychimp

Post by cheekychimp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 am

Wow,

Cheers, plenty of info here for me to get busy with. Thanks all.

cheekychimp

watt

Post by watt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:23 pm

The new Lumix FT3 is also waterproof and takes Full HD.

TheJesusofkayaking

Post by TheJesusofkayaking » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:02 pm

GoPro wins for me.

A suction mount will hold solid to the deck of any grp boat or indeed the hull.

Whichever camera you get make sure it is well leashed to the boat. Also consider the position of the mount in the event of a rescue, you don't want a camera interferring with a T rescue for example if you have the camera mounted on the bow.

I shot this on my GoPro just the other night. Deck mounted to my 161 and there's a hull mounted shot in there somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEvFVWSDq_s

GoPro is good but has no zoom and is in poor light. Research well.

snapper

Post by snapper » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Herre you go, as promised. I didn't take photos with it as I didn't take the remote with me - these are print screens from the video. Will try and edit some video and get it uploaded shortly but i have no decent software right now.

The mount:

I was planning to go fishing today but my whole week has been changed around so had to take care of some chores instead on my day off. A pity things changed really as it was perfect for fishing but boring as hell for paddling. Still, it gave me an opportunity to try out something from yesterday - I mounted a suction cup onto my headcam mount and popped it onto the Necky. These are printscreens from the video, my apologies for putting so many up but I really like them ;D

What it held rock solid through (apologies for the excessive amount of pics but I like them, only fabricated the suction cup modification yesterday.!)

2011 Launches 102

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Nice!

dessiesurf

Post by dessiesurf » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:39 am

Ive been using the Gopro mounted onto the deck of my surfkayak for almost a year. My opinion is that its a great piece of kit for up close shots, but if you are looking to use it to film your trip and film anything thats more than 5m from your boat then it it might be worth looking at a camera that has some zoom on it.
Here is one in bright sunny conditions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywqRN1GtkQM
Ive posted lots of videos in different lighting conditions. You can check them out on my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Dessie

Simon Willis

Post by Simon Willis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 am

Hi Chimp

Dessie is right. Kayak mounted cameras are great for additional and atmosphere shots, or short YouTube type films. To capture the spirit of a journey I believe you need something which can record decent audio, so you can use it as a diary camera when stuck in your tent, or take telephoto shots from the cliffs of the crashing waves that you have to face (for example).

There's no ideal camera solution. Any camcorder will work well on shore - but think twice before taking it out on the water (as I know to my cost!). Sony do a good hard waterproof housing for their camcorders, but it's devil to use in practice.

If you go down the waterproof camcorder route, the Sanyo CA 100 is a good all rounder (I have the older CA-9). Although the audio is a little tinny and the colour over saturated, it seems fairly robust and is easy to use, even though the still photos it takes aren't fantastic. There are some excellent waterproof compact cameras which shoot decent video too, but again, the audio is thin.

For the second DVD in the Sea Kayak with Gordon Brown series (Rescues, rough water and staying safe - I should have some preview material in early May), we shot rescues with 2 GoPros and 1 Oregon Scientific ATC9K all mounted on decks of two kayaks, plus big cameras on shore.

I am hugely disappointed with the quality of image from the Oregon Scientific compared to the GoPro. The ATC9K shots are noisy (grainy) and under saturated.

I knew there was a comparative issue from my own test (video here) but when cutting between the two camera sources, the GoPro is in a different league. Add in that is does decent time-lapse, shoots 25fps in PAL, has an instant-on function, and now a clip-on screen, then the only advantage of the ATC9K is the remote. Other than price.

I've bought a range of suction mounts over the years. The most reliable for kayaking in my experience is the Panavise 809.

Have a great trip!
S

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 am

Hello Chimp, the panavise suction mount recommended by Simon is the same as the GoPro suction mount I have used on the rig in the photo above. Its suction is great but not with an extender tube tied on to it with cable ties, hence my support stays!

I have attached the stays to very small cable ties through the deck fittings so that they will break under pressure, just in case anyone is worried about entrapment. Having sailed a two trapeze Hobie Cat for many years, I'm not that worried about entrapment!

Douglas

TheJesusofkayaking

Post by TheJesusofkayaking » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:48 pm

cheekychimp wrote:Hello,

anyone out there had any experience with and recommendations for HD camcorders/ head cams.

cheekychimp
This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HTn7sZlQNk is all GoPro head mounted.

If and ONLY if you can guarantee not to take a swim you can use the vented case to record great sound on the GoPro.

Also, if you take the GoPro into a hostile environment you may consider one of these.

This makes it impossible for the black clip on top of the GoPro to open if it got hooked against a rock as happened to me and I killed my GoPro instantly (found it in the rocks at low tide completely destroyed, let the card dry out for a week and recovered the footage!) Mind you I did have the GP fixed to the underside of the kayak and glanced over rocks so completely my daft fault.

Whilst I'm at it. If you don't want blurry under water shots with the GoPro simply mod it like this.

Always, always leash the camera either to yourself or your boat.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:18 pm

Nice.

Head's too high - lean it t'other way - - towards the water - you'll find recovery is easier --

snapper

Post by snapper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Recovery? But I didn't capsize ;-)
2011 Launches 102

gnarlydog

Post by gnarlydog » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:15 am

no capsize but doesn't look you are sculling either.
Is it just me or it appears that you are pushing off the bottom?
I don't see any "wake" (little waves) from your kayak or paddle
Just curious...

snapper

Post by snapper » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:25 am

Haha, you got me! Blade sank right in; I'm in a foot or two of water there, turning to go back out. I was going to stick the video up before I hit the road this morning but it was too large to upload, that would have shown me for the charlatan I am :-)

Sculling - nope, don't know how. Rolling - nope, don't know how. Still getting used to paddling a sit-in.
2011 Launches 102

watt

Post by watt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:34 am

That's a so called fake-brace. If you put your head down (and wet your hair), no one will ever notice it. I know them pretty well from earlier days :)

snapper

Post by snapper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Okay, video from the other day is up. I took some more today in better light and got better results, give me a few days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc4Uq_gHUN0
2011 Launches 102

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:56 pm

BTW Happy Birthday!

snapper

Post by snapper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Cheers fella...here's a quick one from this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2sdsRYW4vs
2011 Launches 102

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:08 pm

I can do that.

ArnoG

Post by ArnoG » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:01 am

Yep, been there.

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:56 am

I loved the internationally recognised signal for "I must have looked silly there"!

Have you tried straddling the back of the boat before putting your legs in one a time? Using the paddle on the bottom of the sea bed as you do? Give it go.

More concerning to see is the way you lift the boat by yourself, please bend at the knees and try not to twist your back if you must do it by yourself!

sleepybubble

Post by sleepybubble » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 am

Mike Mayberry wrote:I loved the internationally recognised signal for "I must have looked silly there"!

Have you tried straddling the back of the boat before putting your legs in one a time? Using the paddle on the bottom of the sea bed as you do? Give it go.

More concerning to see is the way you lift the boat by yourself, please bend at the knees and try not to twist your back if you must do it by yourself!
Or better still, straddle boat in shallow water, sit in seat, lift legs onto foredeck, paddle a few strokes to get stability, then shimmy one leg in at a time. If I can get my looooooonnng legs into a Chatham then anybody can.

Mark

CanoeAroundIreland

Post by CanoeAroundIreland » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:37 am

We are planning an extended trip (a couple of weeks), and were thinking of getting some footage via a deck mounted camera. Can any of you guys recommend a suitable camera & mount combo that is relatively easy on the batteries? Also can the camera be controlled so that it videos remotely? Also what do you think gives the best footage Deck or helmet cam?
Sorry haven't used these before.

TheJesusofkayaking

Post by TheJesusofkayaking » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:18 pm

CanoeAroundIreland wrote:We are planning an extended trip (a couple of weeks), and were thinking of getting some footage via a deck mounted camera. Can any of you guys recommend a suitable camera & mount combo that is relatively easy on the batteries? Also can the camera be controlled so that it videos remotely? Also what do you think gives the best footage Deck or helmet cam?
Sorry haven't used these before.
GoPro. GoPro. GoPro. Win. Win. Win. Leash!

CanoeAroundIreland

Re: HD camcorders (waterproof)^

Post by CanoeAroundIreland » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Cheers TJOK ;)
'Tis highly recommended then!