Solo Circumnavigation of Skye May 2011

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
flyhigh

Solo Circumnavigation of Skye May 2011

Post by flyhigh » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Check out http://solocircumnavigationofskye.blogspot.com

The build up to the expedition and live reports as the expedition unfolds

SeaSkye

Re: Solo Circumnavigation of Skye May 2011

Post by SeaSkye » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Good luck flyhigh...i will keep my eye out for you.

flyhigh

Post by flyhigh » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Its going to be a fantastic journey, hopefuly setting off from Armadale on the 16th May heading in a clockwise direction, all depending on what the weather is doing on the west coast

SeaSkye

Post by SeaSkye » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Sure it will be a cracker of a journey,may see you around Neist Point/Loch Pooltiel...will bring you a brew out !
Last edited by SeaSkye on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fenn123

Post by Fenn123 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:44 pm

Good luck, i do love Skye. I was there a couple of years back (although not paddling) my boy's middle name is Storr after our visit there. Some great views:

skye niest point by Dirtywater2009, on Flickr

Enray

Post by Enray » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:19 pm

Glad you made it onto the forum - and of course best wishes for your adventure.

Cheers,

flyhigh

Post by flyhigh » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks for pointing me in this direction Nick, its good to get feed back from like minded people

Chris

flyhigh

Post by flyhigh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Three weeks to go before setting off from the beach at Armadale Skye setting off in a clockwise direction on my solo circumnavigation.

follow the last training sessions then the expedition live @

http://solocircumnavigationofskye.blogspot.com

David A

Post by David A » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Good luck and I hope the weather is kind to you. Looking forward to your updates.

David (Big Wave Dave)

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:00 am

Good luck.

I reckon we have made it about half way round over 4 years taking opportunities to do sections in whichever directions the tide best suited.
We got round Waternish point last week CCW within 30 minutes after changing from NW-SE flow. Some flow already running and small green waves (pretty much perfectly timed given the little information I had on what to expect - the pilot simply mentions overfalls in passing), the ledges clearly extend underwater for some distance to the north and I would suspect it does get much rougher throughout the tide. We were unsure about a possible landing on the point before we set off, we didn't need to land but there is a boulder beach to the east of the point that could be used (not the actual jetty it's too high and too steep), to the west there is no beach but we did find steps hewn into the rock from sea level up, it would be a mission but might be possible to go ashore there to scout the headland, to be honest you can probably scout from the boat OK going CW in relatively calm conditions - there are skerries that must contain eddies to stop in.

We did Neist point CCW a couple of years ago, as I recall 2 tide regimes meet there and the flow in one direction lasts 9 hours and the other only 3, might take a bit of planning if you are going with the short flow - I honestly can't recall if we had the big window or the little window, again we managed to hit it pretty well on slack water so it was totally drama free.

Have fun!

flyhigh

Post by flyhigh » Fri May 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Hopefully travelling to Skye on the 10th May to start my solo circumnavigation of the misty Isle,

If you would like to follow my progress go to my blog page which I will endeaver to keep up to date whether I can get a signal to send emails to my account.

Also see attached link which will take you to my shared page for my SPOT, which will be tracking my live progress.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... tUAhBsbviB

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Best of luck and look forward to hearing your adventures - take care and enjoy!
Developing Desire for Adventure!

flyhigh

Post by flyhigh » Wed May 18, 2011 10:09 am

With regret and common sense ive put the tip on hold due to the worsening weather strengthening wind and a very severe bout of synovitus to my right wrist. But will conclude the trip very soon.

I left Lower Breakish on Wednesday 11th May in F4 gusting 5 SW, headed across broadford bay then up and around Scalpay and into the lee of the wind where a nice paddle concluded with the first night camp.

Day 2 started with a paddle up the east coast of Raasay and a stop at Brochel to have a look around (the start of the famous Calum's Road with pick, shovel and wheelbarrow Calum built his own road)
Then it was off to the north end of Raasay and through the channel to the west side, from peace and serenity to the maelstrom of the weather. it was a rough crossing the sound of Raasay to set up camp on Bearelaig bay by the power station.

Day 3 was a pleasent paddle in between the squalls up the east side of Skye passing Kilt rock and the waterfall then up to staffin bay, a longer stop just at the small sandy beach before the bay as the wind was howling out into the bay from the land.
With the wind easing I crossed the bay then made my way to Balmacqueen, absolutley spectacular cliffs, caves, and arches. Arrived Balmacqueen just after five and set up camp.

Day 4 I woke to find my wrist was inflamed and gritting, so decided to rest it for the day and just have a wonder about.

Day 5 Wrist slighlty better so decided to paddle round to Uig then on to the Ascibe Islands, I rounded Rhuba Hunish and a nice tidal race going on, rounded the point then from there to Uig a strong head wind all the way into Uig, By the time I arrived in Uig The wrist had become so painful the enjoyment of the experience was taken away.
Looking at he forecast for the rest of the week, winds increasing SW/W even with a good wrist paddling down the west coast was a no go, so common sense prevails to holt the exped a Uig and to conclude the trip very soon.
I thought May was the settled month. I suppose the weather does what it wants and when it wants.

Ive posted some pictures on my blog of the trip so far check them out at:

What an awe inspiring place Skye is to paddle one of the worlds best sea kayaking locations

zec01

Post by zec01 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:40 am

Good Luck and have fun!
If it hurts, you are still alive!

johnb

Post by johnb » Wed May 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Sorry to hear of your injury. As you said, no point doing it if you aren't enjoying it.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Wed May 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Sorry to hear of your injury, hope you can continue soon.
Ken

SeaSkye

Post by SeaSkye » Wed May 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Sorry to hear of your injury and postponement of your trip. If you were only here 2 weeks prior to your start date the weather was superb.Look forward to following your trip when you re-commence...keep us posted.

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Hope you can get back and continue the journey soon; as other's have said - no point if it's not fun.

Over many years visiting the island climbing and now paddling, I've come to understand that Skye's motto is :

"You should have been here last week!"

Kind Regards

flyhigh

Post by flyhigh » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:45 pm

My return to finish my paddle around Skye will be on the 5th August, hoping the weather will be much kinder than it was in may.

Follow live at

PSK

Post by PSK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Good luck.

JW

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:59 pm

Good luck
Ken

CharlieS

Post by CharlieS » Wed May 17, 2017 6:54 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone landed on the boulder beach that Jim mentions (copied below) to the East of Waternish Point?
Would it be possible to camp there?

OS map looks very promising but I'd like the chance to land a group and scout the headland, and if they're not keen it'd be good to have the option of stopping there.
Google images gives me the beach at the very tip of the point, but not the one by the jetty.

Thank you,

Charlie

"We were unsure about a possible landing on the point before we set off, we didn't need to land but there is a boulder beach to the east of the point that could be used (not the actual jetty it's too high and too steep), to the west there is no beach but we did find steps hewn into the rock from sea level up, it would be a mission but might be possible to go ashore there to scout the headland, to be honest you can probably scout from the boat OK going CW in relatively calm conditions - there are skerries that must contain eddies to stop in."

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey » Thu May 18, 2017 2:27 pm

CharlieS wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone landed on the boulder beach that Jim mentions (copied below) to the East of Waternish Point?
Would it be possible to camp there?

OS map looks very promising but I'd like the chance to land a group and scout the headland, and if they're not keen it'd be good to have the option of stopping there.
Google images gives me the beach at the very tip of the point, but not the one by the jetty.

Thank you,

Charlie

"We were unsure about a possible landing on the point before we set off, we didn't need to land but there is a boulder beach to the east of the point that could be used (not the actual jetty it's too high and too steep), to the west there is no beach but we did find steps hewn into the rock from sea level up, it would be a mission but might be possible to go ashore there to scout the headland, to be honest you can probably scout from the boat OK going CW in relatively calm conditions - there are skerries that must contain eddies to stop in."

Dunno if this helps really, Geograph can be useful sometimes, http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p ... p?p=779971
The few images there don't look particularly landing-friendly...

CharlieS

Post by CharlieS » Fri May 19, 2017 7:03 am

Thank you. Those extra photos are really helpful.

Charlie