Opinion / Review P&H Capella 167

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Slaphappy

Opinion / Review P&H Capella 167

Post by Slaphappy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got and can review a capella 167 (glass layup) please.

Used to have a P&H Cirrus which was excellent but need something with a bit more room. I like a fast boat that tracks well but easy to maneuverer. I like the idea of getting another P&H as the last one did so well.

Weight 95 Kilos and not getting less...
Average paddler I guess.

Cheers Jez.

Kate D

Re: Opinion / Review P&H Capella 167

Post by Kate D » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:23 pm

You might consider a cetus too. Pete Baars on Anglesey usually has a good selection of boats to demo. He'll probably post soon so you can ask him.

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 pm

"And as if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared", (I guess you have to be of a certain age to get that one).

If you fancy a visit to Sunshine Island, (Anglesey) then I can arrange a demo for you and if you don't want the hassle of driving we can even collect you from Holyhead after you've jumped on a train from Euston.

Pete

Slaphappy

Post by Slaphappy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks Guys, really after a review, have a very good price on a nearly new ex-demo in a friends shop.

Thanks Mr Ben! (thats right isnt it?) for the offer.

Think I will probably go for it on the premiss I cant find a bad review....

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:08 pm

The glass Cap is a much under-rated boat. I had an early one, briefly. A pal who's judgement I respect and who normally paddled a Nordkapp Jubilee borrowed it once and said complementary things about it.

I thought that was good. Mike.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Borrowed one for a while. Liked it.
http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/?s=capella

What do you want to know?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Slaphappy

Post by Slaphappy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:44 pm

Mark R wrote:What do you want to know?
How is it in wind, does it surf well, whats the new skeg system like, is it ok (big enough) for a 10 day self supported trip? Stuff like that really.

Reading your blog most other ??ns are covered off and from previous P&H experience its hard to go wrong with them. Seems like a few people have the plastic model but does that translate to a composite?

But I've paddled it and have nothing bad to say will suffice as well, although the dog didn't seem keen...

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Comments will be a bit vague - it was two years ago and I wasn't taking notes.

Wind - no particular issue.
Surfing - good, have a particular memory of holding a conversation with a passing paddler whilst surfing a wave backwards at Peveril Point.
Skeg system - has always worked for me (Douglas Wilcox has written books about it, if you're boothered to know more) but I find it annoyingly fiddly.
10 day trip - possible, but would be a squeeze. I'd define it as a long weekend/ week's holiday boat than a serious exped boat.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm sure others will have their own views, but as far as I'm concerned, the plastic and glass Caps are very different boats. The glass one is superior.

Plenty of space. It's a biggish boat and not that much different from the Quest. But a lot will of course depend on how you pack. People regard the N/kapp as an exped boat, and it's tiny in comparison.

I once tried a Cetus fitted with P&H's abomination of a skeg control system. It seemed to involve having to squeeze a stupidly small tab in order to allow the skeg slider to run. There are numerous well-recorded problems with this apalling badly designed concept. When (if) it works, then it's sort of ok, as long as you accept that you'll never be able to just slide the skeg a tad, while barely taking your hand off the paddle. Which you can do with the earlier system.

There is a far superior system, the previous P&H wire skeg. Failing which, the KariTek system is well regarded and worth the spend to have it fitted.

IF the one you're considering has a skeg which works then you (should) be fine.

Fenn123

Post by Fenn123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:46 am

I looked at a 167 and like you could not see a bad review, that said I went for a Cetus as the larger capacity and day hatch amongst other things was appealling. As MikeB has eluded to, the skeg system isnt that great.

I am often around the Woking area or Bournemouth if you want to try the Cetus.

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:04 am

Slaphappy wrote:
Mark R wrote:What do you want to know?
How is it in wind, does it surf well, whats the new skeg system like, is it ok (big enough) for a 10 day self supported trip? Stuff like that really.

Reading your blog most other ??ns are covered off and from previous P&H experience its hard to go wrong with them. Seems like a few people have the plastic model but does that translate to a composite?

But I've paddled it and have nothing bad to say will suffice as well, although the dog didn't seem keen...
I have a placcy Capella so not sure how relevant this is but the skeg is an absolute ball ache. To put it simply it doesn't work. I'm at the stage of changing an otherwise excellent boat because I'm tired of trying to fix the skeg.

Main issues are...you can't rely on the skeg to go up or down unless you get out of the boat and physically pull it out, push it back in. It leaks like a sieve so my rear hatch regularly fills up with water.

So to sum up the boat design has been great but the skeg is a pain in the arse.

action_girl72

Post by action_girl72 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:49 am

It's a great boat, if P&H hadn't brought out the Cetus when they did, you'd see a lot more of these on the water.

Slaphappy

Post by Slaphappy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Thank you, will probably go for it.

Interesting about the skeg system, looks odd but at least can retro fit an alternative later.

Cheers Jez.