Paddle Leash

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
tg

Paddle Leash

Post by tg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:38 am

Wrist? Boat? or not at all?

Tim
"I sink therfore I am".

watt

Re: Paddle Leash

Post by watt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:46 am

Depends... everyone has his own philosophy. For me usually boat, sometimes wrist, in surf never.

Yakdiver

Post by Yakdiver » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:46 am

boat ? kayak
Name Richard
Point 65n Sea Cruiser
Ocean Prowler

Bards

Post by Bards » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 am

Tim, I always have one clipped onto the decklines on the boat as a default, but only attach to paddle if it looks adviseable, which in my case happens to be very rare, usually only if planning some rescue drills so I can simplify things and bin the paddle away from the action on a T rescue or whatever they're called. Depending on one's capability and the conditions, it could always be regarded as 'adviseable' earlier if spare splits aren't carried (often guilty of that but not for much longer!), otherwise it's as much a tangle hazard complication as a help for me and is the kind of added clutter I shy away from.
Having the leash permanently attached to decklines also means it's always there to provide added security for fishing stuff, dry bag, camera, nav stuff, etc etc on the rare occasions when they make a guest appearance on the water.
Just my thoughts, and there could well be a post or two to make me reassess; to quote Manuel "I know no theeng..."

Bards

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:17 pm

I generally don't use one, but having said that I was paddling at night last Saturday and with the cloud cover/fog it was absolutely pitch black, we could only just make out the coast line which was pretty much just a dim shadow. Add in some swell and I did actually attach a leash in the theory that if things started to go wrong, a lost paddle wasn't something else to add to the list because it could have been right next to us and we wouldn't be able to see it.

Excellent paddle though, the plankton were lighting up our paddle strokes and it was like glitter over the front of my boat as we paddled through waves.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:44 pm

We always, always have splits/storm paddle readily available on the deck and have practised getting them out quickly. That is everyone in the group, not just one between two. So don't use a leash whilst paddling, but do have a means of rapidly stowing/attaching the paddle, in case one needs both hands free. We have seen several rolls go wrong when the leash held the paddle in the wrong place. Having said that, my paddle has also got itself stuck in the deck elastics underwater, but this is easy to solve if you keep calm and work out what is going wrong.

Waxing the loom in the surf makes it much harder to lose a paddle unintentionally.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:50 pm

It's been a while since we had this topic so might as well go over my reasoning again.

A few years ago on a trip in Loch Hourn/Sound of Sleat we had one day where the wind really got up, actually it has started up and we started off in some lee, but as we lost the lee the wind also increased as forecast to around about that magical beaufort of 8 although I doubt we were exposed to the full force of it at any time. I had put my wrist leash on first thing anticipating the wind getting up. Anyway at some point when the wind was really howling and gusting and we were looking for somewhere to land ASAP I had to make a quick adjustment to my hat (if I wanted to keep it) - took no more than a second, but in that second a new gust hit and ripped the paddle out of my other hand. Fortunately it was leashed and only about 4" from my hand but I was mighty glad to be able to put my hand back on it so quickly.

So these days on the sea, unless I take it off for some specific reason where I think it will be more of a hindrance, I always wear my wrist leash no matter what conditions are like when I start out. I do not always wear pogies, they stay in my BA pocket until required, but the leash always goes on. I should really improve it, the plastic clip is a bit of a weak spot.

Short wrist leash of course will not tangle up when rolling etc.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Jim, do you unclip it in the surf zone?

Kate D had an interesting idea of attaching herself to the deck lines with her waist-mounted towline:
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 5&start=14
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Mr Hoppy

Post by Mr Hoppy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Don't use one and in all honesty I've not come across a situation where I wished I'd had one. Rescuing they go under the decklines.

snapper

Post by snapper » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Always when fishing as the paddle is not in my hand, always when sailing, usually when paddling at sea, rarely if padlding a river but never in surf or when landing.

I attach it to the kayak then if i do go over I only have to keep hold of that. That said it's a bloody useful 'swimming' aid on its own - when i occasionally lose or ditch the boat in surf I can paddle myself in, a good skill to practice especially if you're in the habit of wearing a drysuit.
Chatham 17-Scupper Pro-RRRapido
2011 Launches 102

tg

Post by tg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Jim wrote:It's been a while since we had this topic so might as well go over my reasoning again.

So these days on the sea, unless I take it off for some specific reason where I think it will be more of a hindrance, I always wear my wrist leash no matter what conditions are like when I start out. I do not always wear pogies, they stay in my BA pocket until required, but the leash always goes on. I should really improve it, the plastic clip is a bit of a weak spot.

Short wrist leash of course will not tangle up when rolling etc.
Thanks Jim. That's what I figured. It's going to be the wind that 'nicks' it. So wear it on the wrist, ready for williwaws and rolls unless ill advised.

Cheers. Thanks all for the feedback.

Tim
"I sink therfore I am".

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Never.

mick m

Post by mick m » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:23 pm

Now that kayak sailing is going through a re berth in the UK, its worth considering one when sailing, its easy to fumbal a paddel and looos it when your moooving at a clip with a sail up , also thers the risk of if the sail overpowers you (sumthing that rearly hapens ) and you botel it and wet exit, thers a slim chance that if the sheet is still sheted of the kayk can sail of without you , the paddel on its leash, in the water draged behind acts like a sea anchor and slows its progress up. I always youse one for sailing, never for paddeling only and definatly never in the surf . Its always ther on deck to be atached , and its good for resaling with cameras to.

Owen

Post by Owen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:44 pm

I have a home made one, it lives in my day hatch, I use it once in a blue moon, if I remember to put in on before I get on the water. Only really think about it when it's blowing a hooli.

DaveSt

Post by DaveSt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:14 pm

For sea kayaking:

Solo paddling - attached to wrist.

In a group - usually attached to boat. Useful when doing rescues, but make sure it doesn't drift under the boat before you leave the person that's been rescued - you won't be able to do a lot with what little cord is above the surface. I tend to disconnect the leash from the boat for rough landings, to avoid getting tangled up. There have been quite a few such landings. Somehow if you're the only one in a plastic boat, you're often first ashore when it's rough... the composite boats seem to slow down dramatically for some reason, and a certain individual will shout, "Send in the plastic probe!" Likewise when it comes to launching, you're (or I'm) last off the beach! But that's for another topic...

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:18 pm

TechnoEngineer wrote:Jim, do you unclip it in the surf zone?
I might, but first I'd have to end up in the surf zone.
Also I can't really see why I wouldn't want to retain my paddle in the surf, it's one of the few places there seems a chance of losing it and I wouldn't last long without a paddle in the surf.

This whole day tripping thing is still a bit new to me, I'm used to planning with a fully loaded boat, and that means finding an option that doesn't have a surf landing, or not striking camp.

If I am going surfing in a playboat I wouldn't use the leash, I would also be using a shorter paddle (the leash stays on my sea paddle) and approaching the session in a completely different way.