Waveski Mission Impossible

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Dylp

Waveski Mission Impossible

Post by Dylp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:57 pm

last night (perhaps slightly naively) I entered the british waveski championships
there is only one problem i have never used a waveski, do not own one and lack the funds to buy one
so i think that i may try to make one - but dont really know what im doing
any advice constructive or otherwise will be greatly appreciated
for starters where on earth do you get a piece of foam large enough to shape a ski from
i have a limted exsperence of working with fiberglass - but know some people who could help me with this
i think that some think that could out surf kelly slater would be approate
but i dought this will happen but somethink that has some performance would be nice
any help?

Deadly

Re: Waveski Mission Impossible

Post by Deadly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Not sure if this a wind up :)

Over to you Johnny for some sound advice, you reckon he could
"Knock one up in the shed"

storm

Post by storm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi D,
You need a big block of polystyrene,the type used in the construction industry,make a bottom template and nose lift template cut it out with hot wire,this will leave you with rough shape finish with planer and sand put on rails etc seat and footweels fin boxes,glass with epoxy,dont use polyester or your blank will disapear,obviously it is not quiet as easy as described so have a chat with Mike at Atlantic or Alan Neighbour and im sure they will fill in the bits ive missed,or you could go on ebay and get something functionalfor around 100.
Steve

Jim Tait

Post by Jim Tait » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Are you religious?
A hotline to a deity might help

Jim

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:16 am

For a block of foam, you can get good blanks from seabase or homeblown. You can also download for free Akushaper or similar, and send them a CAD diagram for them to cut out the blank for you. Either way it's going to be expensive. You will need the foam blank, resins, glass or composite cloth, hot wire cutter, X2 footsteps, 1 belt, X3 fin boxes + fins, fin bolts & fixings. If you have never used a ski - you will have no template to go from for volume, so you will have to find/borrow a ski

Why don't you just borrow a ski off someone?

I have one you can use.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am

Dyl, Pete Copp is selling a repaired Ski, go buy that, it will be cheaper and easier! Oh and something does not have a k in it you yoof you.

All this is besides the point though, go practise in your boat, you need to win the Juniors HP for us at the weekend ;P

Denzil

Dylp

Post by Dylp » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:43 am

cheers for the replys everyone some stuff to think about
how much is this all likely to cost? i could probably scrape about £70 togther max juging by the replys thats likly to be not enough - how much would the foam alone be?
jonny - a ski to burrow would be great as this was alwalys going to be optimistic :) but I like challanges
Dylan
PS it is still clear denzil that you are a little upset that i once spelt ya name wrong on msw whan i was about 13!!! :P

surfkayaks.com

Post by surfkayaks.com » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:35 pm

by the time you have bought all the materials, and the equipment you need to make a ski , you wont have much change from £4-500 i reckon.

Dylp

Post by Dylp » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:42 pm

ill only need to get materals does anyone know how much just for the foam?

Tourer

Post by Tourer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Dylp wrote:... I could probably scrape about £70 togther
You are looking for a sponsor ?

Put your account number for donations here, print some T-shirts or Bandanas with your name and challenge on it, put that on Facebook, or do some car washing, it's about tree pruning and hedge trimming time, paper rounds, shopping andor cooking/cleaning for old folks, dog walking, car boot sales, wall papering if you can (did most of that at one time).

Doing old bicycles up might be another option, baby sitting, support teaching, translation work, become a politician, busking/singing, after dinner speeches, preparing papers for tax returns..

Next could be a second hand boat that needs "attention" - recently in our club autumn clean there was a carbon boat with a hole in it that was about to go to the tip, looked a bit dirty but repairable, a young & fit person saw that the very last moment..

A kit boat of some sort would be the next option, like e.g. Pax 18, if you have the space and time ~ 3-500 £ or so.

I doubt that it would be possible to make a glass boat around a foam core, even if so you'd spend the time making it while you should really train for winning the pot & prize money. First time round there'll be mistakes with the build..

Then you'd still need to get to the place of competition somehow, food, drink and overnight stay isn't free either.

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:44 pm

I've shaped and glassed a few of my own boards and it's much cheaper to buy a second hand one than go through all that just for one. I've never made a ski but I imagine it'll be a similar deal.

If you skimp on the kit to shape and glass your own it'll just end up crap. You'll most likely make mistakes the first time as well, my first glass job resembled a jacuzzi and the board has some well place stickers to cover it up, although my wife is still using the board 5 years later so it's just cosmetic!

Oh and good luck with the nationals.

Tourer

Post by Tourer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:42 pm

steddyjames wrote:.... You'll most likely make mistakes the first time as well, my first glass job resembled a jacuzzi and the board has some well place stickers to cover it up, although my wife is still using the board 5 years later so it's just cosmetic!

Oh and good luck with the nationals.
http://www.buildingakayak.com/2009/02/1 ... d-a-kayak/

Here is a starter at least. Read a few of those books and then start making your mistakes, it's called "experience".

Making a board and a kayak is different I think, you need a mould and that means building two boats for the first time round, plus the tools and space obviously, apart from that a decent carbon paddle will set you back ~ 300 £ alone.

Wood strip paddles DIY might be an option..

I've made a stick paddle from a 20£ Cedar beam with a spoke shave - you can paddle with it and roll as well, but it took me more than a days work in stages, even so it was a compromise of weight and strength, ~ 800 g is nearly what my Kiska carbon paddle is, not bad for a start, but it looks ugly, the varnish isn't right and lets water through so it gets heavier with use.. Next time round I'll do better, but for competition you'll want something different.

So - 3 days work = 24 hours at say 8£ ~ 200 £...

http://www.thomassondesign.com/catalog/ ... /sea-racer

This might be a winning formula, plan is only 100 €, as for me I'd need a few fall ins with this one and certainly twice weekly training sessions before I get it going for some distance, let alone in rough/quartering/following seas. Boat design also means what general conditions and whether someone will rescue you or not, otherwise stick to a proven stable sea kayak design, NDK Greenlander or soemthing like it would be a good starter but the cockpit hurt me..

Just leave the cockpit open, put some drain holes in and you have a ski - but why should that make sense in the UK with single figure cod fish water temperatures for ~ 6/12 of the year ?

Maybe as a first step start walking before you run, so join a club and paddle their K1's and then marathons, get coaching then pots from that.

If you want to get anywhere near a pot in any competition sport you'd need to start by the age of 13 latest, train 3-5 times 2 hours per week plus races whatever the weather, have someone to look after domestic and food needs, so never work too much - there is no such thing as "Amateur sports" - I know that as a hopeful teenage rower just below nationals, then 30 years later as a "Novice".. The only option if you're not born with a silver spoon is the police force or military perhaps, and I think some of those racers are ex or active SBS or the like..

Then go to France where surf skis are more popular, for obvious reasons. I suggest the area around Cherbourg - there are a lot of chaps who paddle even in Bft 7/8, there is kind of a tide race in the harbour wall on an outgoing tide of 10 m range or so, coaches from South Africa..

When cars where still made so that tinkering was still possible, such as 2 CV, Ford, GM, I did all sorts of things to them,before that 50 cc Mopeds.. ;-)).. I also served with Logistics/trucks maintenance but now I prefer to give the money to the garage, telling them what to do precisely..

Fast Pat

Post by Fast Pat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 am

Tourer - I think you are confusing a waveski with a racing surfski.