Roof Bars^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
inthedrink

Roof Bars^

Post by inthedrink » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi - I've got a Fiat Ducatto hitop camper van and I'm looking for a way of getting my sea kayak on it. I've seen a roof bar solution where you laod the kayak onto the rack when it is lowered down and it is then winched into place but this costs £750 and I'm not that rich! I was wondering if you could somehow attach J bars onto the side of the roof and do it that way. Actually getting the kayak onto the roof is difficult and I can't see me being able to do it on my own. Anyone got ideas or similar problems?

maryinoxford

Re: Roof Bars

Post by maryinoxford » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi,

There's a lady called AndreaDawn who can load a Feathercraft K1 (5 metres, 23 kilos) on to a campervan roof without special gadgets. On another forum, I once asked her how she did it, and she was kind enough to give a detailed description.

Go to this thread: http://foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewtopi ... 66&p=13897
A lot of the pictures aren't there any more (Andrea said she was taking a break from forums) but if you scroll down, there is a picture of a tent, and the next post after that describes one way of dealing with your problem.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Like this?

Here's the link to the product page of kit like this. Clickety.

This is a German company, Zolzer - who also offer an "easy loader system". The website is, naturally, in German!

One potential problem will almost certainly be keeping the width of the load within the legal limits. IIRC this means no part of the load can exceed the widest part of the vehicle. Which will be the mirrors. Depending on the shape of the vehicle roof and the shape of the boat, there's a chance the bow and/or stern are going to end up outside that envelope unless it can be mounted cockpit in like the playboat in the picture.

Other solutions are a variation on what Andrea does, as linked by Mary. Rhino bars with a rear roller, and Kari-Tek V cradles being a development of that.

One word of warning, a friend uses a Rhino set-up (but without V cradles) with a VW van - she's tall, strong and it's only the standard height van. If the thing is on any sort of slope, or there's a notable breeze, the boat is highly likely to slip / fall / blow off to one side. She said it wasn't uncommon for the boat to come off the bars before she had a chance to get it secured. So V cradles would help a lot if you go this route.

The Kari-Tek easy loader is probably what you mentioned in your original post. Very, very good solution - but spendy. What about a trailer instead?

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:13 pm

A quick google leads you to this:
http://saltwateryakfisherman.blogspot.c ... -bars.html

Although I'd be inclined to use gaffer tape inside the tie-wraps (as well as outside). As Mike points out, you'll need to add some foam blocks or such like to the sides to prevent it from falling off the side...

and see this:
http://saltwateryakfisherman.blogspot.c ... unted.html

...and I would be inclined to make the "loading bar" a roller rather than the rack bars. Still, food for thought.

[edit] - also just seen this - anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.micksgarage.co.uk/proddetail ... 9&pk=BACEA
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

inthedrink

Post by inthedrink » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Fanflippingtastic! Mike - that's exactly what I'm after - I've looked at the Karitek sysyem and 'cos I've got skylights the extentions just looked stupid! Thanks all!!!

inthedrink

Post by inthedrink » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Just been on website and its in erm...German! But seeing as my sisterinoutlaw is German then that shouldn't be too much of a problem! I also had a look at the suggested blogspots and the ideas there seem great for my car bars so thanks for those too!