Failte Ireland 2011

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Ocean Addicts

Failte Ireland 2011

Post by Ocean Addicts »

I'd like to hear your thoughts on Failte Irelands new TV advertisment
And is that whale photoshopped or what?

7fathoms

Re: Failte Ireland 2011

Post by 7fathoms »

at 2:19. Yep, certainly is!

Shame, such manipulation doesn't fit with the feel and message of the video.

I think I must go there soon...
Dan
My blog: Celtic Paddler

seaview

Post by seaview »

I don't if it was photoshopped or not but the footage of the Whale is from South Africa, they couldn't be bother getting footage of Whales in Irish waters.

Dave.

sleepybubble

Post by sleepybubble »

Ocean Addicts wrote:I'd like to hear your thoughts on Failte Irelands new TV advertisment
And is that whale photoshopped or what?
agree the whale is Shopped. The whole advert has a certain plea of desperation too, what with all the stats; please come here, please, or x hundred thausand people will not be able to feed their babies tonight. Could of been a lot simpler... along the lines of 'come to ireland we've got guiness' seems to have worked for hundreds of years so far!

Maybe I'm just cynical.....

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

....and here's me thinking all I wanna do is more back to the UK!!

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

Actually they got the cliffs wrong as well, the Cliffs of Moher aren't the hightest cliffs in Europe, in fact they aren't even the highest cliffs in Ireland, poor old Donegal being forgotten about again!!

Ocean Addicts

Post by Ocean Addicts »

Yes slightly desperate appeal for tourists, but in fairness to them I think it is possibly aimed at the Irish market. Ireland has loads to offer without photo shopping the whale in, jaysus will they ever learn. I think that Slieve League was also bluffing about being the highest sea cliffs in Europe. Last I heard it was some cliffs in Achill area that are the highest.

Ocean Addicts

Post by Ocean Addicts »

I’m not sure anymore, I'd love a definitive answer to this as the local tourist boards have been saying for years that Slieve League is the highest and others saying that the Cliffs of Moher are. I only heard about the Achill Island cliffs on the radio here a few months ago. The tourist boards had to stand down as Ordnance survey had said that Achill had the highest cliffs
http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ire ... ities.html

JohnML

Post by JohnML »

I heard the tallest were on Achill just recently too which surprised me as always thought it was Slieve League, wouldn't mind seeing them and guess they don't get as much press due to being less accessible. Not that Wikipedia is the most reliable of sources but here's a list of Europes tallest sea cliffs in order http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff#Europe

tpage

Post by tpage »

Mmm Highest cliffs....It is probably all about how you define high- sounds bizarre I know.

It has previously been pointed out that the highest sea cliffs in the British mainland are in Devon....but it involved some complicated calculation regarding 60 degrees and measuring the height by going 1 mile inland to take in the top of a nearby hill- so Sutherland is trumped- not to mention, Foula and St Kilda (ah but they dont count anyway- because they are Islands).
Anyway.. it is irrelevant- the place looks stunning -I really must get over to Ireland one of these days.

I recently came across images of Ben Buldben and the place just looks awesome

http://www.gsi.ie/Education/European+La ... reland.htm

Tony