Youghal Rescue

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
sanddabber

Youghal Rescue

Post by sanddabber »

Lifeboats News Release
RNLI Youghal lifeboat called to man overboard

Date: 07/02/2011

Author: Noreen Varney, Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer

The Youghal RNLI lifeboat was launched at 1500 today (7 Feb 2011) following a report of a man overboard near Whiting Bay Youghal.

RNLI Youghal lifeboat, under the helm of David Slattery and crew members Martin Morris and Eddie Hennessy, arrived on scene and helped the casualty to get on board the lifeboat.

The casualty, a male, had fallen overboard from him Kayak and could not manage to get back due to the large swell of the water. He was in the water for approximately one hour and managed to call for help by waving his paddle to a man who was walking on the beach. The Coast Guard helicopter was also on standby at the scene.

The Youghal Lifeboat took the casualty back to the lifeboat station where he was given warm dry clothes and reassured by the crew.

RNLI media contacts

For more information please telephone Noreen Varney, Youghal RNLI Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer on 0870506640.

Ceegee

Re: Youghal Rescue

Post by Ceegee »

I'm a good bit west of Youghal (100km), but the swells have been BIG following the W/ends' F9-10! Buoy M3 still showing 3+m and 11deg water temp.

Luck guy. Wishing him a speedy recovery!

http://www.youghalonline.com/2011/02/07 ... overboard/
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

steddyjames

Re: Youghal Rescue

Post by steddyjames »

Jeez, I live on the coast about 40km west of there and looking at the sea from my house the swell and wind has been impressive, my sea boat has stayed firmly in the shed....

....having said that the reef break in front of our house cleaned up lovely last night when the wind dropped to head high glass!!! Very short respite in this weather as it's crap again today.