Valley Etain^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mike A

Valley Etain^

Post by Mike A » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:58 pm

Has anyone had the chance to test the new Valley Etain?

How does a swede form valley handle compared to the rest of the range? Or is it more similar to a P&H cetus?

Mike

orton1966

Re: Valley Etain

Post by orton1966 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:40 am

Hi,
Regarding the Etain, we’re running to keep up here at Valley but the good news is the Etain is now finally in production. In fact the first batch of composite boats has already left for the West Coast of America, much to the relief of our West Coast distributor! However with back orders, numbered in the hundreds, it’ll be a few weeks before we’re fully caught up. However you should start seeing the Etain appearing in the shops, with demo-boat orders taking priority. Obviously we also have a demo here in Nottingham that people can try.
There is a little piece giving more details on the home-page of our website and the full web page will go live in the next couple of days when we have done a few more pic’s of the various design features.
For people who haven’t followed the Etain’s gestation this is our new expedition-capable boat and sits alongside the Aquanaut in the current range. Its reason for being is to bring a more contemporary design to the current range and it should find favour with those preferring the feel of more neutral or Swede form designs. So yes it is a competitor to boats like the P&H Cetus and TideRace Explore. The Etain also features a fourth hatch incorporated into a removable deck pod and improvements to the cockpits thigh-grip ergonomics.
I hope this helps answer your questions

orton1966

Re: Valley Etain

Post by orton1966 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Some Pic's taken today of the POd and Cockpit detail

swagstaff

Re: Valley Etain^

Post by swagstaff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:13 pm

I like it a lot. Feels very light and fast on the water and more manouverable than the Xplore or the Cetus. Performed very well in force 4 though very little swell as strong offshore. Hopefully more wind and swell over the weekend Sea Kayak Oban have a Cetus and an Xplore and a Tempest 170 pro sitting there as well so if you fancy a comparison.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

wilsoj2

Post by wilsoj2 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:11 am

Douglas Wilcox's preview of the Etain: http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eview.html

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:32 am

How big's the cockpit?
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:37 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

gasserra

Post by gasserra » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Mark R wrote:Gawd, sort that name out.
Ditto

When I first heard the name "Étain", I thought "What's that, sounds French...", so I pulled out my pocket French - English dictionary and found étain = tin.

Why would you name a sleek kayak "tin"? "Tin can", as in the old slang term for naval destroyers? Not likely...it's archaic and most sea kayakers aren't naval veterans.

Then I heard it was the name of a Celtic heroine transformed into a butterfly by a jealous rival...to which I can only say, that's too much of a stretch.

Valley's done well with water birds--Anas Acuta, Pintail, Petrel, and seafarers--Argonaut, Aquanaut, Selkie...

How about the Skua.

action_girl72

Post by action_girl72 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 pm

gasserra wrote:Valley's done well with water birds--Anas Acuta, Pintail, Petrel, and seafarers--Argonaut, Aquanaut, Selkie...

How about the Skua.
Or the Shag?

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Hmm.... Interesting suggestion from Action Girl !! ;-)

Personally I don't have a problem with " Etain ". Interestingly it translates to " The shining One ". I'm okay with that. It sounds just as good as " Cetus " ! ;-)

http://www.orderwhitemoon.org/goddess/Etain.html

Phil

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm

TechnoEngineer wrote:How big's the cockpit?
Douglas said "Hello Mike, Cockpit is longer than Quest, deck in front of cockpit is lower, similar to Quest LV. More volume up front than Quest, as you know Quest tapers a lot to bow. Unloaded 90kg paddler found more primary and secondary stability than Quest. "

I think the name's great - far more evocative than stars or sea birds. Mike.

wilsoj2

Post by wilsoj2 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:09 am

The Etain has a little less rocker than previous models too
An Aquanaut already takes more edge to turn well than a Nordkapp LV etc... Does an Etain require more edge than an Aquanaut?