Spare paddles scratching deck

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
michelin

Spare paddles scratching deck

Post by michelin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Does anyone put or what do you guys put on the shaft of your spare splits to stop scratching your deck everytime you put them on and off your kayak

horis karloff

Re: Spare paddles scratching deck

Post by horis karloff » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Pipe cladding on the ends of the shaft.

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Dave

Rockpool GT

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:12 pm

I have used very heavy clear tape, about 6 inches wide, to cover the deck where it would be rubbed. Scotch make some of this tape. Mountain bikers use similar stuff to protect their frames. The stuff I have is blade tape for aircraft. I was recently down at kari-tec and ther are in the process of bringing something out to do the same job as the britches thing but much much neater and lighter. The Kari-Tec product can be fixed to both ends of the boat and will looks good. I think Geoff said it will be a couple of months till its all sorted.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:43 pm

I just cut out a smallish piece of self adhesive neoprene so that it covers the area where the ends sit. Apart from stopping further scratching it also looks pretty good (black against orange!) and also stops them sliding if they get caught by a wave. Also means that if you need them you don't have to remove anything from them before slotting together.

Rog.

Sprucey

Post by Sprucey » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:56 pm

I use Factory Effex clear film on the deck - it's designed for bikes and motor bikes etc as mentioned above and uses 3m adhesive. It's barely visible and doesn't yellow or discolour and It's good value. It can be cut into whatever size/shaped sheets you want and is easily removed after softening with a hair dryer.

You can get it here:-

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/81 ... -tape.html

Sprucey

al27

Post by al27 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Don't worry about it at all. A scratch from the paddle is the least of my decks problems

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:19 pm

bastonjock

Post by bastonjock » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:14 am

There is a product called Paintshield paint protection film,its a clear film with 3M adhesive on it and if put on properly,it will be invisable.It is used on car bonnets and bumpers to stop them getting stone chips.I have fitted the product to a few cars and it takes a lot of practice to get right,you need a water based soap solution for moving the film around and an alcohol fix solution to stick the edges down so that they dont lift up later.When i decide on what Kayak im going to buy,i will cover it with Paintshield (TM),i will put it on the deck and hull and it will stop scratches to the hull and deck.

I was involved in bringing the product to the UK and its testing some 8 years ago,it was the results of testing the raw film that inspired the company,I think that Karriteck will have their share of head aches with this 3M film formerly called scotchcal film.The aeroplane stuff was born out of the Iraq war to prevent the Apache helicopter blades being sandblasted.The aeroplane grade film is a lot more difficult to work with.

There is also a Technique for removing the film,its not just a case of using a hair dryer.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Oh, is that why my deck is scratched? I just thought it was normal wear and tear.

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi michelin,

In the spirit of making kit serve more than one purpose where possible, I use strips of retroreflective SOLAS tape. This protects the deck and provides a reflective area on the back deck. Just don't use it if you stow your splits forward as it'll dazzle and knacker your night vision if using a headtorch

Al - I bet the skidmarks are a bugger to get out of the gelcoat?!

cheers

Ian

wideblueyonder

Post by wideblueyonder » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:13 pm

My cheap and cheerful method of protecting the deck is to use cheap pipe lagging strips, cut down and then put around the end of each paddle shaft. Carry the spares on the front deck as shown in this pic.

al27

Post by al27 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Al - I bet the skidmarks are a bugger to get out of the gelcoat?!
You're not wrong; its a bit scarey out there at times....

Actually, I have more problems with my main blades that the spares..

After a K1, or even a river racer, a sea kayak is a bit of a truck. Anything approaching a high tight stroke is a bit close (another benefit of swedeform); for every 1000 strokes, there's one that clips the deck...

Dropping it off the roofrack did it no favours either.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 pm

My blades have always missed the deck, but it didn't take many years of battering my thumbs against the seam slightly aft of your blade marks, for me to develop a slightly wider stroke in the Sea King :-)

I have my camera bag exactly where your left blade hits, it does occasionally take a scuff.....

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:45 pm

As a cheap option, try self-adhesive foam:

http://aswatersportsequipment.co.uk/pro ... ts_id=1061

XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:46 am

I just found the Factory Effex clear protective film at a decent (I think!) price with free P&P here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com

1 Factory Effex Frame Protection Material - Clear - 3 Sheets (sheets are 12"x18")
ID: 134740
Unit Price: £7.99

They produce this in a range of colours and a rather fetching carbon fibre print....

Barry

Jim Tait

Post by Jim Tait » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Western red cedar storm paddle - ditch the nasty splits..........

*ducks*

Jim

GEOFF S

Post by GEOFF S » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:44 pm

a mate uses a small length of old bike inner tube over the scratchy end, I've gone for the Mike B option which works well.

Peter M

Post by Peter M » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Two short pieces of 48mm plumbing pipe on shock cord. Simple, easy, cheap and it works. N.B. not my original idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13039042@N ... otostream/

Canoe-Cowal

Post by Canoe-Cowal » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:03 pm

I use a piece of camp bed matting to protect my fore deck from paddle blades plus gutting and filleting fish, a sort of work surface. I also prefer spare paddles being in front of me rather than behind as the tend to proach onto day hatch and its easier to get a half a split or both to do a rescue if needed.

I did use the plumbers pipe fittings for my splitends to be secured. I was then introduced to tennis balls from my welsh friends with a hole cut just a tad smaller than splits to hold tight and a loop through bit of bungee to secure to decklines.

Works a treat and looks ok too.

There was also a product calles skisave to protect the upper face of your skis. this may also be an option if put on on strips.

J

Mark-Tozer

Post by Mark-Tozer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:08 am

This product may be of interest to folk - Yak Armor by Blue Water Kayak Works

http://www.bluewaterkayakworks.com/blue ... armor.html

In the past I have also used self-adhesive 'grey' closed cell foam to protect the deck under the retainer bungees, which I bought off the roll from Knoydart.

From my experience, using some kind of tubing as a holster can be an issue if they get any dirt inside thus making the paddles hard to retrieve on the water (not unlike getting sand in the joint of a split paddle, making it hard to pull apart).

All the best :-)
Embrace The Elements

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 am

Since this thread originated, and having a nice new (year old now) boat with amazing graphics to preserve, I have found that 27mm Lendal shafts will push into 22mm climaflex pipe lagging if you don't split the seam. They are a tight fit as you can imagine due to the interference fit, but in a hurry you can just rip the lagging down the pre-slit seam to extract the shaft from within. Environmental concerns re: recovery of the lagging is very much a tertiary concern in a situation where I find myself needing splits.

I guess I should really stick some clear fablon over the flames where the blades and cranks touch down too - well the blades normally have my paaddle float stowed betweeen them and the deck but it is probably not great for the float :)

Daker

Post by Daker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Clear adhesive film is readily available on eBay in all manner of sizes and qualities/prices.

In my experience its pretty easy to fit in small pieces but for larger areas just look up any of the instructions and demo videos online / on youtube

For the relatively flat or gently curved surfaces of a sea kayak is straight forward enough but the compound curves of, say, a surf boat require rather more patience !

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:10 pm

http://www.karitek.co.uk/shop.html?page ... ory_id=126

I have had oner of these paddle holders from Kari Tek for a year and they work fine.

Colin

Sabre13

Post by Sabre13 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:29 am

I used a different method and used a piece of foam backed Lino that was off cuts from when our kitchen was floored but you could find some lino in a skip.
I folded the lino over to the width i wanted it with the shinny wood effect on the inside so that when you pull the paddles out they come out supper smooth. Then i cut the lino to that width,made some holes with some using nail scissors to bore the holes and threaded Dyneema through those holes to hold the whole thing in shape.
You end up basically with a Lino quiver that you can just put under a two of your elastics on your Kayak.
The picture shows how to thread the dyneema through the outer edge better than i can explain it and its a piece of cake and takes no time

gizmo

Post by gizmo » Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 pm

Had one of these for a few years now and it's an excellent bit of kit.
https://www.chillcheater.com/accessorie ... dle-holder
Paul

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 pm

gizmo wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 pm
Had one of these for a few years now and it's an excellent bit of kit.
https://www.chillcheater.com/accessorie ... dle-holder
I use one of these too, mainly so that I can reach my spare paddles from the cockpit but they also do a great job of protecting the gel coat

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi,
On my glass boat I have 'Helicopter Tape' https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-Helicopt ... 6141&psc=1 to protect the deck from the blades & use paddle britches to contain the shaft ends.
Ken

Sabre13

Post by Sabre13 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:28 am

One reason that i don't use the Kayak britches is that the deck lines have to be tight for them to stay in place and personally for me with the cold waters here in the northern Isles trying to grab a hold of a tight wet Deck line if you need to with 5mm gloves on (which is the minimum thickness up here to keep warm) proves to be too fiddley and so a possible candidate for the kayak moving away from me if and when i need to hold on to it.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 pm

The Reed paddle britches can be threaded onto the deck lines for a semi-permanent fitting, that way the deck lines don't need to be too tight to keep them in place. I untied one end of my deck line, pulled it through to the bow and back down past the point where I want the paddle park to sit then fed the deck line back through the folded-over seam, round the bow loop and back down through the other side. I cut off the straps and clips at the closed end and use the other straps to hold it in place. Once the deck line is tied off again it makes a very neat fit and stays put against the boat, even in fairly rough weather.
I don't know if Reed did this is by design or not - but it works fine for me.
So much sea - so little time to see it.